Recommend a film people may not have seen

Something underrated or less well known, that you think is worth a watch.

My go:

The 1984 follow up to the undisputed Kubrick classic 2001. It suffers by comparison to the first film but I have a real soft spot for it. It was one of the first proper sci fi films I ever saw, and it has a real humanity and depth to it.

Not everyone agrees with the idea of explaining so much of what went on in the first film, or whether to have a sequel at all, but I think it stands on its own as a worthy film.

A great supporting cast including Helen Mirren and John Lithgow, and the late great Roy Scheider in the lead giving the film some real oomph.

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

Jim Jarmusch (arty bloke who made the iconic Coffee And Cigarettes) tackles the vampire genre with this tale of a depressed reclusive musician (played by Tom Hiddleston) who happens to be a vampire, his also-a-vampire lover played by Tilda Swinson, and her also-a-vampire crazy younger sister.

Inspiring movie. A completely different take on the genre to any vampire movie you've ever seen. Well worth watching. Just don't expect it to be a Buffy or a gothic Interview With A Vampire type film. It's quite an arty slant, not an action flick.

One Cut from the Deep, I know some on here have seen it, clever film I nearly gave up on after 20 minutes, so pleased I didn't.

Something underrated or less well known, that you think is worth a watch.

My go:

The 1984 follow up to the undisputed Kubrick classic 2001. It suffers by comparison to the first film but I have a real soft spot for it. It was one of the first proper sci fi films I ever saw, and it has a real humanity and depth to it.

Not everyone agrees with the idea of explaining so much of what went on in the first film, or whether to have a sequel at all, but I think it stands on its own as a worthy film.

A great supporting cast including Helen Mirren and John Lithgow, and the late great Roy Scheider in the lead giving the film some real oomph.

Something's going to happen. Something wonderful.

Beginners (2010). With Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer (won best supporting Oscar) as McGregor's gay Dad. Really lovely film.

Moonrise Kingdom - 2012. If you enjoyed Grand Budapest Hotel give this sweet coming of age film a go, by Wes Anderson. Beautiful cinematography.

Beginners (2010). With Ewan McGregor and Christopher Plummer (won best supporting Oscar) as McGregor's gay Dad. Really lovely film.

Moonrise Kingdom - 2012. If you enjoyed Grand Budapest Hotel give this sweet coming of age film a go, by Wes Anderson. Beautiful cinematography.
I loved GBH so I'll give this a go. Cheers.

Back