RTG Read This Carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may have noticed that when Newcastle get beat some of you make rather a large meal of it. Banter can't be just one way.

This is without a doubt the best forum I've come across. It would be a shame if it died. I was gutted when I couldn't get on for two months and couldn't see the politics forum.

My crime was to join in where the OP of the thread was a mod and he was getting pelters for his view on something from left, right and centre. My punishment was a two month ban and my post, a funny commercial I'd seen on US TV, was deleted. I assume he also handed out bans to others who bruised his fragile ego that day.
It's a Sunderland message board. What else would you expect? Don't take snowflake levels any higher. Sunderland win, most mag posters don't post. Sunderland lose, or bad news about the club, and the buggers come out of the woodwork from everywhere. That's a fact, and that will of course wind any Sunderland fan up. The same way it would on one of your boards, i suspect. I wouldn't lower myself to find out tbh.
This is a cracking message board, but it has gone downhill with too many WUMS and Mags. That has stopped people posting. Numbers maybe up from before, but i mean decent posters are now less inclined to post than before. That's a shame.

It's a Sunderland message board. What else would you expect? Don't take snowflake levels any higher. Sunderland win, most mag posters don't post. Sunderland lose, or bad news about the club, and the buggers come out of the woodwork from everywhere. That's a fact, and that will of course wind any Sunderland fan up. The same way it would on one of your boards, i suspect. I wouldn't lower myself to find out tbh.
This is a cracking message board, but it has gone downhill with too many WUMS and Mags. That has stopped people posting. Numbers maybe up from before, but i mean decent posters are now less inclined to post than before. That's a shame.

Agree with that . Im sure that on any Mag message Board when something negative happens at Sunderland they would gloat, I would expect them too tbh. Likewise if anything negative happens to them you would expect gloating from SAFC fans.

If I openly posted on a Mag Forum as a Sunderland Fan, I would expect it, even if I was not on there just to be an antagonist

I have my own personal rules for my time on here and it's served me well...

If I make a statement that a later think was incorrect or misjudged (and has been challenged) I will respond by stating I was wrong
If I say something (probably in good humour) that I later realise might have been interpreted as deliberately offensive, I say sorry.
I don't engage with Mags. I see no point in them being here.
I don't engage with people who's attitudes and approach seems so far from my own that I can tell in advance we aren't going to find any common ground
I ignore people if I think that their opinion lacks credibility
I put people ON Ignore if I find their views to be offensive or if they are being obviously provocative or seemingly so unhappy in their home life that they need to come on here and spoil for a fight
I ask questions to any poster who appears to have a view that I really cannot understand. If I still don't understand, I'll tell them so politely and suggest we agree to disagree.
I report any post that offends me to the point where I think it needs taking down and the poster admonished
I respect the rules of the board and the people who run it
I occasionally remind myself of the verse 'sticks and stones may break my bones'. Yes, I know it's for kids, but I've never physically being put at harm because some keyboard warrior tells me what a fool I am for having am opinion that differs to his.

I think that mostly covers it. It's not difficult... it's only a football message board, even if it is related to the club I love and have supported all my life.

It really isn't that simple though. Its a myth that we don't ban posters, there are currently 509 banned members.

Banning is automatic, moderators issue warnings, they don't normally ban people per se (and often don't know they have banned someone by warning them).

If you keep getting warnings when you return, your next ban will be longer and eventually you will get a permanent ban. That is all an automated system.

Quite a few posters have learned from their mistakes adapted their behaviour and actually become good and long term posters, so this can work well.

We are however, faced with real problems with GDPR etc as we can no longer identify or track people easily. Most people access the forums via mobile phone, so get a new IP address each time they visit (and that address will be shared with many other users) and most people are using "disposable" email addresses such as gmail, so can easily create a new one (and again with GDPR there is a limit to how long we can retain the old one on file)

So get banned, create a new user, sign up again with a clean sheet, post a few nice posts to fool the moderators and then start all over again. We do have a good size moderation team, but with 8-10K new posts each day, there is no way that they can all be viewed/checked so we rely on users to report them (which really happens a lot less than you might think).
Thought you needed a proper email address to sign up not just a hotmail/Gmail jobby, I know you did when I signed up. :confused:

Relying on users grassing each other isn't really the best idea tbh cos this place is full of people who have an agenda against each other and also an anti grass mentality amongst most of the rest of us won't help.

Honestly I don't think you've got enough moderators on here, they're probably flat out just trying to keep up with all the shite that gets posted.

ive learned to think about it before I press post.
I’m a Mag I expect the abuse , no problem, no whining .
It’s a good board, I’m not here to Wum but I will have an opinion on bits of stuff.
However as a Mag I’m realising there’s stuff that doesn’t concern me.

The reasons I'm rarely on here any more Roger summed up in the post. The toxic element have taken over, the good posters have fucked off or only check in infrequently, and it's just no fun any more.

Can you imagine something like the paintshop thread happening now? It's all bullshit. I vote burn it to the ground and start again.

Do you have a link to that mate?

Also anyone who gets themselves all wound up over what people post should probably log off and take a step back from it all really.

Imagine being so furious with someone that you can’t handle their comments any longer and you press ignore :lol:

Personally I use the Ignore function to remind myself which posters have been abusive to me while not contributing anything worth reading anyway. Essentially, people whose posts I don't want to spend time out of my day reading most of the time.

If I've had a debate in a thread where I've had a minority view and someone comes barging in effing and blinding and accusing me of being on drugs, they'll sharp be ignored. And in the latter case reported.

I still end up reading posts by those people using the "Show Ignored Posts" button if it's a thread I'm particularly absorbed with, but I read them with an attitude of "let's see what this abusive idiot has posted".

Having a shite memory, it's the only way I can keep track of them.

Also I have absolutely no qualms in reporting posts that I think cross a line: racist, homophobic, libellous or exceptionally abusive and aggressive posts that I see, I'll always hit the report button. Some folks seem to wear as a badge of honour their attitude of "I'd never report someone and anyone who does so is obviously a dick" but as we've now seen by the existence of this very thread of @Roger 's, it's absolutely necessary at times to assist the mods in keeping the place relatively civil, tolerant and safe from lawsuits.

Personally I use the Ignore function to remind myself which posters have been abusive to me while not contributing anything worth reading anyway. Essentially, people whose posts I don't want to spend time out of my day reading most of the time.

If I've had a debate in a thread where I've had a minority view and someone comes barging in effing and blinding and accusing me of being on drugs, they'll sharp be ignored. And in the latter case reported.

I still end up reading posts by those people using the "Show Ignored Posts" button if it's a thread I'm particularly absorbed with, but I read them with an attitude of "let's see what this abusive idiot has posted".

Having a shite memory, it's the only way I can keep track of them.

Also I have absolutely no qualms in reporting posts that I think cross a line: racist, homophobic, libellous or exceptionally abusive and aggressive posts that I see, I'll always hit the report button. Some folks seem to wear as a badge of honour their attitude of "I'd never report someone and anyone who does so is obviously a dick" but as we've now seen by the existence of this very thread of @Roger 's, it's absolutely necessary at times to assist the mods in keeping the place relatively civil, tolerant and safe from lawsuits.
What an absolute blouse you are.

There are only so many hours in the day marra. I'd rather spend those hours reading posts by people who make actual contributions rather than just ones who just wade in with abuse.
I get far more abuse than I give out, I probably one of the least abusive posters on here actually which is why I don’t understand people reporting all the time.
What does it matter what some faceless knacker on here thinks of you? I couldn’t care less.

I get far more abuse than I give out, I probably one of the least abusive posters on here actually which is why I don’t understand people reporting all the time.
What does it matter what some faceless knacker on here thinks of you? I couldn’t care less.
That's kind of why we are in this position, that's your stance on it and I agree, they are just words, but some may find the same abusive or put them off posting. Which is why Roger has asked people to think before posting

Like I said, my use of the ignore function is mostly about time management. Why spend time reading posts written by vapid abusive morons when a simple click of the ignore button will allow you to have a more efficient "decent posts read per hour" ratio?

As for reporting, with racism, homophobia and genuinely libellous posts, reporting is necessary to keep the place inclusive and in the latter case help it stay running by Roger not being sued by the target of the libellous post.

With people being overly aggressive and abusive, there's just no need for it. If I overheard someone acting like that in a pub or they were acting like that towards me I'd probably mention it to a bartender or bouncer before leaving. This place is no different in my eyes. Someone pushes things too far, they should be cast out, at least temporarily, depending on the seriousness of it.

That's kind of why we are in this position, that's your stance on it and I agree, they are just words, but some may find the same abusive or put them off posting. Which is why Roger has asked people to think before posting
They might but as I say those who do are complete wet wipes. IMO of course.

But they deserve the same respect, you may have thick skin and by fuck with some of what you post you need it. There are however others that don't so it's a case of being respectfull and thinking before posting
Well like I say I’m one of least abusive posters on here so it’s not something I need to worry about.
Only time I will give it out is usually in retaliation which usually ends up with protagonist getting themselves in a state.

Agree with that . Im sure that on any Mag message Board when something negative happens at Sunderland they would gloat, I would expect them too tbh. Likewise if anything negative happens to them you would expect gloating from SAFC fans.

If I openly posted on a Mag Forum as a Sunderland Fan, I would expect it, even if I was not on there just to be an antagonist
You (Or any SAFC fan) would be an idiot to expect anything different as a reaction from on of their forums.

Well like I say I’m one of least abusive posters on here so it’s not something I need to worry about.
Only time I will give it out is usually in retaliation which usually ends up with protagonist getting themselves in a state.
Yet you have spent the best part of 2 days giving it the "I told you so" posts.

As I said previously, having a thick skin and constantly referring to things you may have got right is not really helping the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back