RTG Read This Carefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not when most of the mags input is to gloat / take the piss. Great banter in normal life, but forums fr specific clubs should not include wind ups. As i said earlier, are SAFC fans welcomed on the NUFC boards?

Yes, as long as they behave and don’t go on like a diddleywhack.

Engage in sensible, rational discussion and you stay. Chuck loads of smileys up just because we lose/concede a goal or any other general misfortune and you are removed from the discussion.

I honestly think it might be an idea to close the board for 24 hours @Roger social media seems a very unhealthy place for Sunderland fans at the minute. I'm staying away for the rest of the day. I'll take my head out of it all and do something completely un-football related.

I’d close it for longer!

Well said Roger.
I've only been alerted tio this by a post on Twitter.
I havent been on much lately as I'm sick of the puerile nonsense.
I've been on here since 2004 and the worst you used to get was piss taking of Jarvis for being Jarvis and people having a go at WHED for his Meldrew thread.
It was very rarely malicious.
It was a fantastic forum back in the day.

Unfortunately, many of the main posters have gone or rarely post.

And its easy to see why.

Appealing to the better nature of the posters is probably futile as the main protagonists in the abuse and aggression won't even think it's them. They're probably on that pathetic Facebook group claiming to not know why they're banned.

I honestly think it might be an idea to close the board for 24 hours @Roger social media seems a very unhealthy place for Sunderland fans at the minute. I'm staying away for the rest of the day. I'll take my head out of it all and do something completely un-football related.
I’m pleased I’m out here mate.

Its the last thing I want to do, but I really am getting to the point where I wonder whether these forums should be shut down permanently.

We have that many petulant posters on here at the moment and the amount of abuse between posters, and libellous posts directed at owners/managers/players etc has gone off-scale over the last year and particularly in the last couple of months. Yes, feelings are high, but there is no excuse for a lot of what we are seeing in the "Football" forum.

Despite having a large team of moderators across several timezones it is becoming impossible to deal with this and only you, the members of the forums can make them go back on track.

Today alone, hundreds of posts have been removed (that is excluding the "takeover" thread which has been deleted) and several people have totted up enough warnings to be banned. That is not how I (and I am sure the majority of people here) want to see the forum running.

Can I ask everyone to have some restraint. Take a deep breath and think about what you are posting before you press the "Post" button. Remember you are responsible for what you post.
I've never understood this stance you've taken whereby you won't ban frequent antagonisers on the board, therein lies the problem for me.

Yes, as long as they behave and don’t go on like a diddleywhack.
Absolute bullshit. I was banned from Newcastle-Online purely because “Mackem”

They have a list of everyone banned and plenty are just “Mackem”

It’s fair enough tbh and i would support the reciprocal arrangement becoming standard on here
I've never understood this stance you've taken whereby you won't ban frequent antagonisers on the board, therein lies the problem for me.
I agree. And this includes all known mags

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Roger.
I've only been alerted tio this by a post on Twitter.
I havent been on much lately as I'm sick of the puerile nonsense.
I've been on here since 2004 and the worst you used to get was piss taking of Jarvis for being Jarvis and people having a go at WHED for his Meldrew thread.
It was very rarely malicious.
It was a fantastic forum back in the day.

Unfortunately, many of the main posters have gone or rarely post.

And its easy to see why.

Appealing to the better nature of the posters is probably futile as the main protagonists in the abuse and aggression won't even think it's them. They're probably on that pathetic Facebook group claiming to not know why they're banned.

Nah, they've all just moved to Not 606 so they can spend their time slagging this place off from there instead.

;)
There are still a few others.

Is Bristow's board still going? That was another good place to go if you wanted to slag people off behind their backs.

Last edited:
Complete overreaction from the boss IMO.

Sunderland A.F.C. is currently at its lowest ever point. Folk are not going to be all singing all dancing. I’m not suggesting libellous posts are okay but this is somewhere to vent for many. I don’t think it’s been any worse than normal.

I think one of the reasons people come from far and wide to post on here (and therefore the reason it has expanded so much) is that to a certain extent 'anything goes'. Others will disagree of course, but it certainly seems to be the case compared to most other busy football club messageboards. The mods should be given credit for that imo.

However, maybe we've now reached the tipping point and what was once the reason for the board being so good, has become its worst enemy.

More mods, clear guidelines for mods to enforce and regular posters to follow, and as fair and consistent a system as possible might be what is needed.

This place is great when things are going well.
But when things are not, shit it’s horrible. Social Media brings out the worst in people, and some of the pessimistic idiots on here just drive the majority of normal fans away.

I go to the matches with a group of 8 people and out of that group only 3 go any where near it, and only 1 posts regularly.

This place will only improve imo if both the mods and all posters just take a step back (cliche I know) and look at why it's gone a bit batshit mental.

I dont think mods are responsible for the fact we have several posters who cant live without this place.They are never off and when they get banned for trolling or abuse (often across multiple forums) they just return with back up accounts.

As suggested earlier mods are resonaible for how they resoond. Take a hard line on this vocal minority and they can just become permanent residents on the facebook page.

For someone who returned from a one month ban recently it has never entered my mind so sign up with another account,tackle this culture and it could improve the place.

I'll say this next bit respectfully but the mods are often accused of bias which they always reject however a little more transparency would be a good thing.The request for a list of banned users available to all including offence,thread and banning period was rejected as it would "be used as a badge of honour" but I disagree.

Instead of the cop out catch all term of "rules violations" then everyone could see that the mods are being impartial and consistent. What's wrong with a little transparency?

I dont think the above will change that people in the real world who think nothing better than to come onto a forum to troll and be a wum,they need help,but maybe it could be a start.

Absolute bullshit. I was banned from Newcastle-Online purely because “Mackem”

They have a list of everyone banned and plenty are just “Mackem”

It’s fair enough tbh and i would support the reciprocal arrangement becoming standard on here

I agree. And this includes all known mags

You are kidding yourself if you think its our fault purely. I used to comment alot more, used to be open for debate and can take a joke and hand it back. Hence my fairly respectable comment/like ratio.

That changed because it wasn't possible to have that anymore. I've been threatened with violence more times than I can remember and up until Reiver went the only other chap who was banned was LeicesterFan. I actually use the ignore feature too.

There are loads of decent posters on here hidden behind those purely here for a fight and wums.

Complete overreaction from the boss IMO.

Sunderland A.F.C. is currently at its lowest ever point. Folk are not going to be all singing all dancing. I’m not suggesting libellous posts are okay but this is somewhere to vent for many. I don’t think it’s been any worse than normal.
I’ve been a member here since it opened under a different name and have always provided a strong case to support my opinion. I left because it was becoming a breeding ground for youth who just wanted to argue, however; lately it has become worse than ever.

Targeting SD, JR and the team at a time when the club is at its lowest ebb does not make good reading, many of them will read this forum and be affected by it, be careful what we wish for guys or we could find ourselves on a collision course with prolonged failure.

There’s a big difference in venting with substance rather than venting your spleen In anger on someone who is speaking the truth or has a difference of opinion.

Some of the awful stuff written on here and twitter about SD is damn right disgraceful and bloody embarrassing for the individual and the club.

Before you write with hate take a step back and think about the impact of what you are writing and the message you want to get across, especially when it’s a difference of opinion.

God bless you all.

Last edited:
It’s a shame that it’s come to this. I’ve been abused on here for literally years, whether I’ve been posting or not. One of the absolute worst for doing it was a mod. I brought it up to another mod, and he told me straight he wasn’t going to do a thing about it.

Last week there was a thread about one of my articles, which I barely write anymore tbh. I wasn’t posting on it but both me - and my lass, for no reason more than receiving a passing mention in the article - were the targets of abuse. This isn’t a case of nameless, faceless harmless fun either. My real name is public knowledge, where I work is public knowledge. Yet here, on a public forum, people vilify me and actively congratulate each other for bullying me. And at one point it was both led by a mod and ignored by another.

So yes, completely applaud @Roger for taking some action here. Don’t want the forums closed down as there are a lot of genuinely class people on here who shouldn’t lose out because of the abusive bad’uns, but it’s definitely time for a clean up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back