Rat in the garden this morning.

Clobbered a massive one in the adjacent neighbours garden yesterday, he has chickens and a small farm / camping site.

He gave me a garden rake. Thought at first it was a hedgehog it was a decent size.
Shot another one Sunday.

Bait boxes might be the best option.
I bury the dead ones as the Red Kites will take them. Most rats will die in their holes, barns, under floors etc.
Are bait boxes safe for pets? We've got a dog (beagle) and dont want to risk anything that might harm it.

Are bait boxes safe for pets? We've got a dog (beagle) and dont want to risk anything that might harm it.

You need to be careful that the rat doesn't pull the bait out and leave it in view of the dog. The poison doesn't kill the rats instantly.

A good option is smothering a trap in peanut butter, and putting it somewhere ya dog can't get.

Bought a couple traps.. yet to catch one of the buggers.. did catch a wee mouse overnight which I felt guilty about.

Woke up to one this morning dead, neck snapped. Our garden is currently been used as a run. They're nest is under someone's decking 2 houses along and they're refusing to do anything about it. Got a proper rat man coming out today. No good when you see them just sitting in your garden in broad daylight

Woke up to one this morning dead, neck snapped. Our garden is currently been used as a run. They're nest is under someone's decking 2 houses along and they're refusing to do anything about it. Got a proper rat man coming out today. No good when you see them just sitting in your garden in broad daylight
I got them sporadically especially when it's been wet . I saw one round the bins couple weeks ago and when I can back from holiday there was one looking at me.on the deck

Using peanut butter as bait.

Obviously caught one the other day but didn't kill it as the trap was 6 feet away from where it was set . Secured it now with a tent oeg

Think I’ve got one it seems to burrow under the fence in the exact same place (next to the bins) and has done the past couple of weeks. Tried setting a trap and caught a mouse last week. I set it again with tuna in and the little fucker has ate every last piece of it and not set the trap off.

Had one the other year, Moved into a house with an apple tree and couldn't be arsed to get rid of them all off the floor. Neighbour told me about the rat. Made a point this year of shifting everything as soon as it hit the floor and it seems to have buggered off.

Had one the other year, Moved into a house with an apple tree and couldn't be arsed to get rid of them all off the floor. Neighbour told me about the rat. Made a point this year of shifting everything as soon as it hit the floor and it seems to have buggered off.
In lockdown our apple tree was like a horror film. Loads of rats munching away. Poison, traps, air rifle all deployed and took a few weeks to get rid.

In lockdown our apple tree was like a horror film. Loads of rats munching away. Poison, traps, air rifle all deployed and took a few weeks to get rid.

I made sure all mine where up as soon as they touched the ground, didnt want them in my garden and it wasnt fair on my neighbour. Luckily there are a few cats the street who roam during the day i think they help discourage them as well.

Had a right rat problem in our garden when I was a bairn, they came out of the back of the Chinese takeaway and into the gardens. My dog died of leptospirosis caused by eating grass with rats piss on.

Pest control came out and put loads of dyed blue poisoned corn down. Got a knock at the door from next door neighbour had we seen the bairns pet rabbit as it had escaped. Checked the back garden and sure enough, there it was, munching its way through the blue corn.

It was fine. 🤣🤷‍♂️
Until later on that night FFS!:oops:

Rat man came out today ,tried to tell the missus it could have been a vole or a mole ,
🤣
Think everyone knows a rat when they see one

If I was up near you I would have sorted it for you for nowt.
Ohh and I still have hair and my own teeth.
How much do pest controllers charge for a rat job?

Some private Companies out there that rip you off big time.

Last edited:
Decking is a rats wet dream. Neighbour has it and he’s riddled i reckon. The fuckers climb up the bushes and over the wall.

Found two tonight half decomposed and full of maggots. 🤢

Last edited:
Just saw 3 climbing in and out of the rabbit run. No idea how to deal with them this time. One humane trap bated. 3 boxes baited too.
Update: this morning we are one rat less.
Just saw 3 climbing in and out of the rabbit run. No idea how to deal with them this time. One humane trap bated. 3 boxes baited too.
Update: this morning we are one rat less.

Last edited:

Back