Rat in the garden this morning.

Stick a rat cage loaded with titbits at the end of the drain pipe, it might just do the trick. Catching a live rat is like the holy grain of vermin control. Mice are only 5 out of 10.
Bait mine up with Reeses cup cakes, they like them......., so do I to be fair 😉

Had a right rat problem in our garden when I was a bairn, they came out of the back of the Chinese takeaway and into the gardens. My dog died of leptospirosis caused by eating grass with rats piss on.

Pest control came out and put loads of dyed blue poisoned corn down. Got a knock at the door from next door neighbour had we seen the bairns pet rabbit as it had escaped. Checked the back garden and sure enough, there it was, munching its way through the blue corn.

It was fine. 🤣🤷‍♂️
F**k thought you were ganna say when you had a knock at the door next doors bairns had had the blue corn 🌽 😳
Neighbour told me he’d seen a rat the size of a dog.

I’ve told him a million times to stop exaggerating.
What breed of dog toy yorky or Great dane??

Last edited:
We had a rat in the garden last year baited a trap with Nutella caught a few mice and a wren but no rat.
One night I was woken up by screaming and something banging on the decking, we had caught our first rat.
It sounded like a lion had brought down a zebra.
I’d never seen a rat close up, hadn’t realised how big they were.

I just saw one scamper across the patio when I let the dog out this morning, about 2 metres from the door. First time I’ve seen one in years.

It’s got me paranoid it’s living in my house.

I just saw one scamper across the patio when I let the dog out this morning, about 2 metres from the door. First time I’ve seen one in years.

It’s got me paranoid it’s living in my house.
Not be just the one you seen mate, he’ll have moved his extended family and all his mates in.

You've got to play the waiting game if you want to catch them. Load up your cage or trap and wait. The bastards are hungry this time of year...

we had one in the garden a couple of years back, got a good tip off here to put poison pellets in a small bag ( like a money bag) with the corner snipped off, the rat will smell it and drag the bag back to the nest to feed the family, thus killing all of them. Did this once, the bag was gone next morning, and hey presto, none seen since.

Had a rat in our house a few years back, I think there'd been some building work nearby and it'd fancied moving in with us

Saw it zip across the porch (inside) when we came home one day, just as I was stepping into the house. It nearly ran over my foot.

Anyway, it found a gap next to a radiator and got under the floorboards. We put traps in every room and nothing happened.

A couple of nights later the missus wakes me up at about three in the morning, the rat is behind our bedroom curtain trying to get out of the window. She's literally paralysed with fear; like something out of a tom and jerry cartoon.

About an hour of man vs rat later and it ran up the back of our free standing wardrobe. I slammed the wardrobe into the wall and I know I absolutely crushed the bastard as there was screaming like like a herd of cats behind there.

Next thing I know it shoots out from under the wardrobe like the Usain bolt if rats. Fortunately I come from a long line of ninjas and managed hit it clean on the head with a broom handle! Never been so pleased with any accomplishment in my life 😅

So the answer to rats is ninjas with broom handles.

One under the bird table this Morning before I left for football.
Took a shot with the air gun and not sure if I hit it or not as jumped over the small fence.
Will load up the bait box tomorrow just in case.

Got one in our back garden - spotted it over the weekend. All the street are saying they've got them. There's an old couple with a load of bird feeders in the middle of the street and the rat(s) seem like its using our garden as part of it's run to get to the bird feeders. Old biddies refusing to remove the bird feeders so looks like i'm gonna have to trap and kill the vermin.

Clobbered a massive one in the adjacent neighbours garden yesterday, he has chickens and a small farm / camping site.

He gave me a garden rake. Thought at first it was a hedgehog it was a decent size.
Shot another one Sunday.
Got one in our back garden - spotted it over the weekend. All the street are saying they've got them. There's an old couple with a load of bird feeders in the middle of the street and the rat(s) seem like its using our garden as part of it's run to get to the bird feeders. Old biddies refusing to remove the bird feeders so looks like i'm gonna have to trap and kill the vermin.

Bait boxes might be the best option.
I bury the dead ones as the Red Kites will take them. Most rats will die in their holes, barns, under floors etc.

Last edited:

Back