Racism at Yorkshire CCC

You will get a lot of this. Hes made a lot of enemies and people who's reputations have been rightly trashed as a result of their own disgraceful behaviour. Expect more of this, some lies and some probably true. We have all said some things we shouldn't have, particularly when we were younger and certainly Rafiq has. However that is different to the type of sustained racist abuse Rafiq faced which many of the perpetrators have admitted and apologised for. Whataboutery the Mags would be proud of.

You will get a lot of this. Hes made a lot of enemies and people who's reputations have been rightly trashed as a result of their own disgraceful behaviour. Expect more of this, some lies and some probably true. We have all said some things we shouldn't have, particularly when we were younger and certainly Rafiq has. However that is different to the type of sustained racist abuse Rafiq faced which many of the perpetrators have admitted and apologised for. Whataboutery the Mags would be proud of.
Take it from me mate there will be no shortage of true stuff to be going on with as his shield of press popularity fades over time and people dont fear getting dragged into an active shit storm. He will end up the new story , hence his intent to leave the country in todays Times .
"Hear all , see all, say nowt" , its all been seen and heard and that say nowt is just cautionary. Hence the delay .

All in all the Yorkshire cricket scene back then seems as toxic as it gets
I wouldn't recommend anyone take up the game if they don't have a grounding in it in this country, especially not in Yorkshire and if they're not from a certain demographic. To outsiders of any form it isn't very welcoming at all.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend anyone take up the game if they don't have a grounding in it in this country, especially not in Yorkshire and if they're not from a certain demographic. To outsiders of any form it isn't very welcoming at all.
Following the story over the last couple of years it seems like Yorkshire cricket is ran a bit like a 1970s Working Men's Club. The only people allowed into the inner circle are those who come from 'cricketing families' and going back to the WMC analogy non-members aren't allowed in at all unless signed in by another member.

So anyone they deem as 'different' to them is simply not welcomed

Following the story over the last couple of years it seems like Yorkshire cricket is ran a bit like a 1970s Working Men's Club. The only people allowed into the inner circle are those who come from 'cricketing families' and going back to the WMC analogy non-members aren't allowed in at all unless signed in by another member.

That's very much the case. Often wonder if I'd have had a longer career as a club cricketer if I was from down south. In my eyes they seem a lot more welcoming down there and find you a place even if you're shit.

It’s all Rafiqs fault Yorkshire were relegated if you read some of the comments on the local newspaper pages.

That article in the mail is basically repeating things that were already mentioned last year. Didn’t rafiq apologies refutably for his wrongdoings? Something Yorkshire couldn’t do themselves.

Well as recently as the early 90s you had to be born in Yorkshire to play for them which seems mental to me.

I’ve heard a few bits about him off record and also theres shit been dug up about his past which has made the MSM. I said all along something about him doesn’t add up. Yorkshire want shooting with shite but Rafiq must either be deluded, have terrible self awareness, or simply believe despite being total c••t at times himself he will get away with it on the back of the fact Yorkshire are (rightfully) getting panned.

I dont get why 8 month ago he didnt just take his £200k, delete his social media and get on with his life rather than constantly, and persistently, Going on, And on, And on. Had he done the former it’s likely this latest shit storm (thats seen him have to leave the country), wouldnt have came to light imo.

How not? To play for Bilbao you have to be born in the basque region, generally.

Born, trained at a Basque team or through relatives. They've had Venezuelan born players with Basque parents, a Romanian lad of Romanian parents but he came here when he was 7 or 8 year old and was trained in Athletic Bilbao affiliate teams.

Antoine Griezmann has no connection with the Basque country at all other than signing for Real Sociedad really young and being brought through their youth system actually makes him a legitimate target for Athletic.

Born, trained at a Basque team or through relatives. They've had Venezuelan born players with Basque parents, a Romanian lad of Romanian parents but he came here when he was 7 or 8 year old and was trained in Athletic Bilbao affiliate teams.

Antoine Griezmann has no connection with the Basque country at all other than signing for Real Sociedad really young and being brought through their youth system actually makes him a legitimate target for Athletic.
That’s why I said generally, obviously they’ve relaxed the rules in the last few years.

Well as recently as the early 90s you had to be born in Yorkshire to play for them which seems mental to me.

I don't mind that rule too much mind, with the exception that it should include those who grew up there or those with family/ parents from there. Ultimately the team is there to represent the country and we have more then enough players/ clubs to produce a first eleven.

Back