R.I.P. Philomena Lynott

He tried but the same 'friends' kept showing up.

He was having a party over Christmas in '85, and one of these friends turned up with a gift for him. The rest is history.

Scott had the good sense/fortune to get himself completely away from it all.

yeah.....Phil didnt have the strength though to turn it down .....unlike Scott who always struck me as a "weaker" character. Phil just thought he was invincible and yet his warnings to himself were all over his songs from Black Rose onwards.....its strange he never pulled back.

i was at that show...it was soo disappointing. It should have been all about Phil yet it was all about Gary. It was almost as if Robbo felt that way ...he was a bit half arsed as he never even got to play a song with Scott. Tragic misuse of what should have been a great event.
That's the impression I always got looking at it from the outside. Narked me a bit.

I have but I think it’s crap.
:lol:

Last edited:
I have but I think it’s crap.

Fair enough...i dont think you will really enjiy Lizzy if you think that way about TBABIT

That's the impression I always got looking at it from the outside. Narked me a bit.

:lol:

i think everyone there was narked tbh....you could sense the frustration in the crowd on the night...Garys massive drawing out of Parisian Walkways was probably the best example.....just so not needed

Last edited:
Fair enough...i dont think you will really enjiy Lizzy if you think that way about TBABIT

i think everyone there was narked tbh....you could sense the frustration in the crowd on the night...Garys massive drawing out of Parisian Walkways was probably the best example.....just so not needed
It’s just that it’s been played loads. Even if I liked them I’d be sick of it.

It’s just that it’s been played loads. Even if I liked them I’d be sick of it.

yeah i know what you mean.....i think its fair to say that its not their best song by some way. If i was gonna pick 5 songs that truly represent cla ssic Lizzy i would go for Still in love with You, Suicide, Fools Gold, Romeo and the lonely girl and Dancing in the moonlight

Just listening to that video I posted above - what a set of arseholes they've got on there with Phil mind.

Thanks for that link Chris....ive not seen that before.

So much for tackling the heroin problem mind....still a big one today what 35 years later ?

Last edited:
yeah i know what you mean.....i think its fair to say that its not their best song by some way. If i was gonna pick 5 songs that truly represent cla ssic Lizzy i would go for Still in love with You, Suicide, Fools Gold, Romeo and the lonely girl and Dancing in the moonlight
@Harry Angstrom says they aren’t much cop on record and only any good live like. I’ll listen to them tunes and report back.

L&D version I take it?

Boys has been overplayed, no doubt about that, but it's only because it's an absolutely class song. As a record, it cannot be faulted. Great hooks, great lyrics, great chorus, great structure, great production. It's flawless really, but perhaps a victim of it's own success.

Songs like that, I try and filter out if I can. If somebody's killing it in a cover band, ignore it, gan for a piss, get a pint. If it's on the telly, yeah well so what. Radio? I barely listen to it anyway. You're putting a playlist together or playing the jukebox, pick something less popular on. Then when it comes to putting the album on and listening, you can enjoy it for it is - a great song on a great record.

@Harry Angstrom says they aren’t much cop on record and only any good live like. I’ll listen to them tunes and report back.
Well he's wrong because they are - but it's basically accepted that they were force to be reckoned with as a live act.

Just listen to Live & Dangerous. Even if live albums aren't your thing, it's a great record anyway.

Last edited:
L&D version I take it?

Boys has been overplayed, no doubt about that, but it's only because it's an absolutely class song. As a record, it cannot be faulted. Great hooks, great lyrics, great chorus, great structure, great production. It's flawless really, but perhaps a victim of it's own success.

Songs like that, I try and filter out if I can. If somebody's killing it in a cover band, ignore it, gan for a piss, get a pint. If it's on the telly, yeah well so what. Radio? I barely listen to it anyway. You're putting a playlist together or playing the jukebox, pick something less popular on. Then when it comes to putting the album on and listening, you can enjoy it for it is - a great song on a great record.

Well he's wrong because they are - but it's basically accepted that they were force to be reckoned with as a live act.

Just listen to Live & Dangerous. Even if live albums aren't your thing, it's a great record anyway.
He would say he’s right.

Thanks for that link Chris....ive not seen that before.

So much for tackling the heroin problem mind....still a big one today what 35 years later ?

Jonny the Fox.
Emerald.

Back