R.I.P. Philomena Lynott

It's purely subjective mate, in my opinion there all great albums.
:lol:

Just winding ya up man.

However....

I think Fighting's a better because the songs are better, there's more Robbo on it, and Tony Visconti hasn't grubby mits all ower it. Same goes for Johnny The Fox.

I kna Robbo's on Bad Rep in places, but it's mainly Scott's record as far as guitars go. They also introduced synths in a much bigger way.

They found their feet on Nightlife, but the three album run with the classic Robbo & Gorham lineup of Fighting, Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox is untouchable in their back catalogue. Depending on my mood, I might even rank Vagabonds above Bad Reputation - I definitely rank it above Black Rose.

As for Black Rose, canny super sub in Gary Moore, but I'd still take Robbo every day of the week, and the songs are pretty weak compared to the four albums prior.

The sad thing is that Phil could have been a megastar if hed lived his life the right way. Hes always been one of my heroes as Lizzy were my favorite band growing up in the mid/late 70s.....however therewas still so much more for him to achieve in his career imo....and his mum possibly felt the same......but the fact that there still is always stuff going on to remember him to this day must have made her very proud...she herself had plenty to be proud of too

Yeah....there have been a few already ....but certainly the Freddie and Elton movies have opened the door to what should be a definitive one on Philo

My all time music hero Phiol I saw Thin Lizzy 16 times and Grand Slam twice.

I've been over to the Vibe for Philo event in Dublin its quality people there from all over the world.

My all time music hero Phiol I saw Thin Lizzy 16 times and Grand Slam twice.

I've been over to the Vibe for Philo event in Dublin its quality people there from all over the world.
Lucky twat, I only seen them a couple of times.

Just winding ya up man.

However....

I think Fighting's a better because the songs are better, there's more Robbo on it, and Tony Visconti hasn't grubby mits all ower it. Same goes for Johnny The Fox.

I kna Robbo's on Bad Rep in places, but it's mainly Scott's record as far as guitars go. They also introduced synths in a much bigger way.

They found their feet on Nightlife, but the three album run with the classic Robbo & Gorham lineup of Fighting, Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox is untouchable in their back catalogue. Depending on my mood, I might even rank Vagabonds above Bad Reputation - I definitely rank it above Black Rose.

As for Black Rose, canny super sub in Gary Moore, but I'd still take Robbo every day of the week, and the songs are pretty weak compared to the four albums prior.
Ya little tinker, I agree with ya regarding Robbo, I think he's an inferior guitarist to Gary Moore but him, Phil, Brian and Scott were just perfect together. The best incarnation of the band by a country mile.

Last edited:

Just winding ya up man.

However....

Black Rose is my all time favourite Thins album.

Lucky twat, I only seen them a couple of times.

Ya little tinker, I agree with ya regarding Robbo, I think he's an inferior guitarist to Gary Moore but him, Phil, Brian and Scott were just perfect together. The best incarnation of the band by a country mile.
Not 100% convinced about that like. There's room for debate certainly, but I definitely prefer Robbo. I prefer Gorham to Moore anarl. Moore perhaps the most proficient, but I don't think it makes him a better guitarist musically.

Mind, Moore was always better in Thin Lizzy/with Phil than when he wasn't. He was crap without Phil. Dull as dishwater.

Black Rose is my all time favourite Thins album.
It's a decent enough album - but the likes of Toughest Street In Town, S&M, Get Out Of Here, With Love and Sarah are not a patch on Wild One, Suicide, Fighting My Way Back, King's Vengeance, Freedom Song, Ballad of a Hard Man, or Johnny, Borderline (one of Phil's best ballads), Fools Gold, and Massacre.

See what I did with the colours there. ;)

Last edited:
Not 100% convinced about that like. There's room for debate certainly, but I definitely prefer Robbo. I prefer Gorham to Moore anarl. Moore perhaps the most proficient, but I don't think it makes him a better guitarist musically.

Mind, Moore was always better in Thin Lizzy/with Phil than when he wasn't. He was crap without Phil. Dull as dishwater.

It's a decent enough album - but the likes of Toughest Street In Town, S&M, Get Out Of Here, With Love and Sarah are not a patch on Wild One, Suicide, Fighting My Way Back, King's Vengeance, Freedom Song, Ballad of a Hard Man, or Johnny, Borderline (one of Phil's best ballads), Fools Gold, and Massacre.

Love the Johnny the Fox album not a bad track on it.

To be honest, I kna I'm arguing the toss, but it's like arguing who was best Sunderland player in the '73 Cup Final. They all have their merits.

Exactly I still listen to all the Thins albums some great memories.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Phil twice top man.

If any Lizzy fans on here get the chance they should go to the Vibe for Philo event in Dublin its class.

Robbo was good, different style altogether than Gary. I love watching the one Night In Dublin video of them playing Still In Love With You together. Gary shits arl over Robbo, but both excellent in their own unique way.

Robbo was good, different style altogether than Gary. I love watching the one Night In Dublin video of them playing Still In Love With You together. Gary shits arl over Robbo, but both excellent in their own unique way.
Despite Robbo still being about and Moore not, I think Moore kept it together a lot more over the years. Robbo looks a fuckin wreck and has done for quite some time.

Bell could be better than the pair of them on his day. Another time (and whatever else) hasn't been overly kind to.

Robbo, I just love his attack, and that Colorsound wah.

Last edited:
I think part of his attraction was that he DIDN'T live his life in the 'right' way - most rock stars 'need' to have a dangerous edge.

yeah i get that.. I guess i meant more that if he could have controlled his drug use better...its no secret that he tried to hide it from certain people....plenty of other rather stars have been close to the abyss and turned it around....i just wish Phil had too

The only song I’ve heard and liked was Whisky in the jar. Just read it’s a bloody cover version. Still a good song though.

Surely you have heard "The Boys are Back in Town" ?

yeah totally agree. Gary seemed to try too hard when he joined lizzy for the black rose album....he played too fast for them imo...much like Sykes when he was in the band. Robbo did blistering melodic solos with heavy use of wah wah....Garys solos were just a how many notes could he cram in....
i still rate Gary and he improved as he got older as his blues albums showed. His rerecorded version of sill in love with you with philip( b side to out in the fields ) showed his progress post lizzy imo

Love the Johnny the Fox album not a bad track on it.

side one is just brilliant......i played it over and over when i had it on vinyl....less so side 2 ..mainly because of the presence sweet marie and boogie woogie dance ( and it was a clart on skippingtacks on vinyl )

My Aunt was her best friend, and worked for her when she ran a Hotel for creatives in Manchester. She was actually Phil's god parent (and mine), unfortunately my Aunt died when I was 13 and I never made full use of it - my mam later told me that I met Phil and his Mam when I was a bairn - but I've no recollection really.

Shame...go od story though

Last edited:
yeah i get that.. I guess i meant more that if he could have controlled his drug use better...its no secret that he tried to hide it from certain people....plenty of other rather stars have been close to the abyss and turned it around....i just wish Phil had too

He tried but the same 'friends' kept showing up.

He was having a party over Christmas in '85, and one of these friends turned up with a gift for him. The rest is history.

Scott had the good sense/fortune to get himself completely away from it all.

i was at that show...it was soo disappointing. It should have been all about Phil yet it was all about Gary. It was almost as if Robbo felt that way ...he was a bit half arsed as he never even got to play a song with Scott. Tragic misuse of what should have been a great event.

yeah totally agree. Gary seemed to try too hard when he joined lizzy for the black rose album....he played too fast for them imo...much like Sykes when he was in the band. Robbo did blistering melodic solos with heavy use of wah wah....Garys solos were just a how many notes could he cram in....
i still rate Gary and he improved as he got older as his blues albums showed. His rerecorded version of sill in love with you with philip( b side to out in the fields ) showed his progress post lizzy imo

side one is just brilliant......i played it over and over when i had it on vinyl....less so side 2 ..mainly because of the presence sweet marie and boogie woogie dance ( and it was a clart on skippingtacks on vinyl )

Shame...go od story though
I have but I think it’s crap.

Back