Question on redundancy

Kerching!!! :cool:

Me in 12 years please. *crosses fingers*

Do they cap it, or would you end up with 30+ months pay?

2 years+ of take home pays when you factor in the tax free element. im surprised that nobody else is surprised at how generous that is!

Public sector, it's a different world. Huge pensions and they usually take VR just before they'd retire anyway. No shareholders required to fund it all though..

I'm just jealous.

Last edited:
Public sector, it's a different world. Huge pensions and they usually take VR just before they'd retire anyway. No shareholders required to fund it all though..

I'm just jealous.
My dad was praying for it to come round the council before he retired. he retired and then they started the process. Reckons he would have made his Northern Rock money back that was lost :lol:

I think when that was negotiated there wasnt the expectation for large chunks of public sector to be binned and them having to pay it.

Hasnt podiatry been hit massively across the board with other peripheral services. Not sure whereabouts they expect the service to come from mind. Will see more people wandering round with manky feet no doubt requiring surgery in the end.[/QUOTE

Do they cap it, or would you end up with 30+ months pay?

I'm just jealous.

well....it is funded by "shareholders" in the form of tax payers. it doesnt feel right that the nhs is screaming for funding then in parallel giving people pay offs that would allow them to take a +2 year holiday on equivalent income.

I think when that was negotiated there wasnt the expectation for large chunks of public sector to be binned and them having to pay it.

Hasnt podiatry been hit massively across the board with other peripheral services. Not sure whereabouts they expect the service to come from mind. Will see more people wandering round with manky feet no doubt requiring surgery in the end.
The NHS is wierd recently. I've had a couple of people, including the child physio who has been treating my son's neck problem, ask me to fill in a feedback form because "we survive on feedback". Another told me if they don't get enough good feedback basically they will shut the service down.

Surely something like child physio and podiatry should exist because there is a need, not because people think they do a good job??

The NHS is wierd recently. I've had a couple of people, including the child physio who has been treating my son's neck problem, ask me to fill in a feedback form because "we survive on feedback". Another told me if they don't get enough good feedback basically they will shut the service down.

Surely something like child physio and podiatry should exist because there is a need, not because people think they do a good job??

could be a restructure so a service would remain but perhaps in a somewhat (i have no idea) different form.

It all depends on commissioning priorities. Some CCGs will see it as a required service whilst others wont. As well as that they have the private providers hovering over them who will happily take on the service if the commissioners think the patient experience is not good enough.

Remember the private companies only like services which they can make a profit on and are predictable enough to project activity levels easily.

Didn't realize there would be a tax free element too.

A few of my friends were made redundant. Horrible at the time but all of them got sorted with new jobs hat they like even more. The tax free chunk went on mortgage in some cases, holidays or cars in others, invested in othrrs. One lad bought a nice electric piano that he had always wanted. Practised like a bastard, every eveninfir 20 mins, for 2 years. He is now in a band and plays regular evening gigs - picking up ladies and being paid to do something he enjoys.

See if you can convince them to chuck the rest into pension. In the long run that will be a massive saving for you.

Last edited:
A mate of mine was made redundant from the NHS when a private company won the contract to run the place he was working in, I think this was at the back end of last year, maybe longer. At the time he was saying they wouldn't be able to run it at the cost they said they could. I think he had about a week off and since then has been working 'temporarily' for the private company since. Not exactly the same job but he says loads of staff who were laid off were taken back on in the same way to sort out the mess that was made when they cut so many jobs.

A mate of mine was made redundant from the NHS when a private company won the contract to run the place he was working in, I think this was at the back end of last year, maybe longer. At the time he was saying they wouldn't be able to run it at the cost they said they could. I think he had about a week off and since then has been working 'temporarily' for the private company since. Not exactly the same job but he says loads of staff who were laid off were taken back on in the same way to sort out the mess that was made when they cut so many jobs.
Would you believe it eh? lol

everyone seems to suggest a redundancy lumpa is great news, but that's only the case if you can find another job fairly quickly otherwise it wont last long

Unless you receive 24 months salary which gives a 'little bit' of breathing space
Just a tad. 2 years money of which £30 grand tax free definitely gives you time to knock out a CV or 2. With 23 years as a health care professional in the bag, I would hope the lad manages to pick something up relatively quickly, after mebbes taking a few weeks off to recharge his batteries.

everyone seems to suggest a redundancy lumpa is great news, but that's only the case if you can find another job fairly quickly otherwise it wont last long

give ower man, 23 months with a huge chunk of it tax free, you could have three years off with no change in your quality of life.

I got 3 weeks a year with 17 years service a couple years back and a little top up on top.

paid for a new kitchen and a load of building work on the house. Had no more than a couple month off work. can be a blessing in disguise sometimes

Back