Question on redundancy

After 23 years service in the NHS I may be being made redundant. If so the offer will be 1 month pay for each year served. A few years ago I droopped 2 days to work in another job.

The question is, would I be offered 23 months based on 3 days per week or does previous full time work get taken into account?

Either way it's a decent offer.

After 23 years service in the NHS I may be being made redundant. If so the offer will be 1 month pay for each year served. A few years ago I droopped 2 days to work in another job.

The question is, would I be offered 23 months based on 3 days per week or does previous full time work get taken into account?

I suspect that but still a good offer.

It'll be based on what you're doing now i.e 3 days a week.

3 days per week

Check the NHS redundancy policy. Some companies have protected redundancy. Ours is for a year, so if you got made redundant within a year of goung part time your package would be based on your old hours.

You in a union?

They usually cap it at around a years salary no ?
But again - that's f***ing awesome when you consider first 30k will be tax free
1 month salary for every year service up to a maximum of 24 months so 23 month's salary for you. If voluntary they normally stick a bit extra on too.

Which field of NHS?

Get that looked at before you leave... ;)

Bloody hell. That's amazing. With the tax free bit it will be some deal that
Didn't realize there would be a tax free element too.

1 month salary for every year service up to a maximum of 24 months so 23 month's salary for you. If voluntary they normally stick a bit extra on too.

Which field of NHS?
Podiatry. I deal with the musculoskeletal side which is being cut from my service completely so very hard to match me to a position.

Really bad for service users and being replicated across the country.

Last edited:
Didn't realize there would be a tax free element too.

Podiatry. I deal with the musculoskeletal side which is being cut from my service completely so very hard to match me to a position.

First 30k is tax free

I took voluntary redundancy from the NHS about 12 year ago - it was one months pay for each year then based on my salary at the time

2 years+ of take home pays when you factor in the tax free element. im surprised that nobody else is surprised at how generous that is!
I think when that was negotiated there wasnt the expectation for large chunks of public sector to be binned and them having to pay it.

Hasnt podiatry been hit massively across the board with other peripheral services. Not sure whereabouts they expect the service to come from mind. Will see more people wandering round with manky feet no doubt requiring surgery in the end.

Back