Question for TV Tecchie types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't want to spend a fortune on tv currently so reeling myself in. I'll end up buying OLED, I just know it. But can't justify that sort of spend currently, or can I?!
I watched NBCs 4K HDR broadcast of the Olympics opening ceremony and was blown away, had to skip 3 hours of contestants entering the stadium mind :lol:

Pulled the trigger on the Samsung KS7000 in the end, got it for 1300 of the queens finest, VERY happy with it, even out of the box it blows the Sony KD-65X8509C clean out of the water!

I watched NBCs 4K HDR broadcast of the Olympics opening ceremony and was blown away, had to skip 3 hours of contestants entering the stadium mind :lol:

Was that a recording mate or was it streaming somewhere? Wonder if any of the satellites are showing the Olympics in 4K??

Pulled the trigger on the Samsung KS7000 in the end, got it for 1300 of the queens finest, VERY happy with it, even out of the box it blows the Sony KD-65X8509C clean out of the water!

Was that a recording mate or was it streaming somewhere? Wonder if any of the satellites are showing the Olympics in 4K??
it was a recording, days 1 to 6 are also currently available

edge lit?

I have had Panasonic TVs since 1982. Never had to repair one and only changed because of fashion. Gave two awaY still working. Samsung to me are no better than middle of the road reliability wise.

it was a recording, days 1 to 6 are also currently available

edge lit?

I'll have a look. It is aye. Next to the FALD Panasonic it was noticeable, on its own, in this living room it's absolutely fine. Surprised and happy!

Will still have an OLED at some point for those absolute blacks..

I'm looking at new TV's and have narrowed my choice down to these two:
Samsung KS7000
or
Panasonic DX7500.

Which would you go for?
Check What hifi review section

What about motion blur etc? Another thing I'm worried about with new tvs is the whole soap opera effect. It might sound daft but one of the things I like most about my current TV (Panasonic PZ80B) is that films look like films on it and are not overly realistic to look at.
You don't like realistic images ?

That film never gets old! Just calibrated the TV and even happier with it now. Hard to beat for the price!
Do you have your own meter and software or are you using settings from avforums boss at work bought the ks9000 and used settings from avforums but said it turned out far too dark

Do you have your own meter and software or are you using settings from avforums boss at work bought the ks9000 and used settings from avforums but said it turned out far too dark

Used to years ago but these days take tried and tested from avforums etc...then tweak to my liking, one for daytime and one for night time, does the job.

Used to spend hours and hours, can spend a few minutes now and a bit fiddling ongoing till your happy.

I don't like movies to be processed so that they look like they were shot on video. See soap opera effect, HFR etc.
Fortunately you can turn that effect off on the Panasonic I ended up with.
No idea what you mean ,I don't watch soaps though I don't think that would help me understand your point ,is it the TV of the director ?

Thanks ,new one on me and the contradiction is still there ,it's either "hyper real " or " cheap looking " ??not both surely ?

Once you see it you'll know what we mean. It just doesn't look right, to me it looks like a play on a stage. Turn off the auto motion shite and you are sorted.

Once you see it you'll know what we mean. It just doesn't look right, to me it looks like a play on a stage. Turn off the auto motion shite and you are sorted.
Aye ,it's hard to explain ,anyway its the TV not the source ,I thought you meant the way directors shoot and edit and make images gritty !

Hated that when i bought my 4K tv, took me a few days to figure out what it was and with the help of AVIforums i managed to tweak the picture to my liking.

Aye ,it's hard to explain ,anyway its the TV not the source ,I thought you meant the way directors shoot and edit and make images gritty !

Ah, haha nah - absolutely it's the TV, all the fake effects they put on to make them "smooth" - disable the lot and all is good.

But I must say, the SOE is growing on me, I may not even mind it now. Maybe getting old and can't be arsed anymore ha

Hated that when i bought my 4K tv, took me a few days to figure out what it was and with the help of AVIforums i managed to tweak the picture to my liking.

Out of the box they go for bright and the "wow" factor - once you get them home after a few little tweaking sessions all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back