Queen's Gambit

‘ever done by a country mile’

Haway mate. It was canny like. But calm down man. Not even the best is good enough but by ‘country Mile’?????

For those who haven’t seen it, it’s very good. But nee ozark, narcos etc.

8/10

Btw her eyes are okay, about 3mm to far apart either side of the nose but i was cool with it
Narcos was shite after pablo died.

Ozark faded away as well.

Thought it was great. Looks stunning visually. I think it gets a bit criticism for her never hitting the total bottom but actually I liked that as it simply meant it was a pleasant watch

Enjoyed it.

Did see a comment on Twitter about the depiction of her depression being spouching around in french lingerie while smoking an drinking to excess. Sexist apparently.

Watched it and enjoyed it however can anyone confirm that the chess was authentic ? I’ve never played so I would t know if they were just moving the pieces around at random.

I watched the credits to the end and Garry Kasparov was involved so I'd say they probably were accurate.
I’m ashamed to say I missed the credits. I’m normally quite an anorak about things like that anall !!

I thought it was well-paced and well-acted. Both me and the missus (no) thoroughly enjoyed it.

Always helps, for me, that the source material is either a true-life incident or, as in this case, an adaptation of a decent novel - not just cobbled together by a committee of screenwriters. I think that way you get more depth to the story, and the attention to detail is better - as with the playing of the chess games, and the tactics used, in The Queens Gambit.

Really enjoyed it. Got a bit slow for me with a few episodes to go but the last episode was superb and I was on the edge of my seat during the Borgov battle.

All over a season 2 if it's done

I watched the credits to the end and Garry Kasparov was involved so I'd say they probably were accurate.
All of the games were grandmaster games, or in the case of the final game, an analysed improvement on an existing grandmaster game.

Gary Kasparov was a consultant, along with Bruce Pandolfini, the US chess coach and author.

Kasparov was initially offered the role of Borgov as well, but declined it.

Watched it and enjoyed it however can anyone confirm that the chess was authentic ? I’ve never played so I would t know if they were just moving the pieces around at random.

Yes, very accurate. The games themselves were based on real championship games carefully choreographed including the actors learning realistic hand movements. As you say when chess is featured in TV and film the pieces are usually moved at random.

You don't need to understand chess to enjoy the show but it you do it opens up extra layers to appreciate.

Yeah I thought it was great too. I was surprisingly invested in it by the end.

I don't think they are doing a second series though are they. Netflix called it a limited event and the bloke only wrote one book.

Yeah I thought it was great too. I was surprisingly invested in it by the end.

I don't think they are doing a second series though are they. Netflix called it a limited event and the bloke only wrote one book.
It doesn't need a second series, like. There's nothing more for it to cover really. Netflix dragging stuff out is what makes good shows turn bad - that's why limited series are better for me.

Back