Pumpkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hollowing a turnip to try and replicate a turnip looked as hard as fuck. Total stupidity when you think about it. Why didn't a smart greengrocer or supermarket decide to actually stock pumpkins?

Aye and what a fuck on. They looked totally wank too. Pumpkins are a million times better.

:lol:

Oh look a triangle nose.

Fuck off!

Just been talking about Halloween with the eldest. Anyway he’s just stared at me in disbelief and laughed his tits off when I told him that we used turnips instead of pumpkins when I was a kid. In fact I’m sure I never even saw a one in real life till at least 1990 or summit. You simply couldn’t buy them in supermarkets over here could you? Someone back me up :confused:

Yep, never had pumpkins when i was a kid in the 80s

Just been talking about Halloween with the eldest. Anyway he’s just stared at me in disbelief and laughed his tits off when I told him that we used turnips instead of pumpkins when I was a kid. In fact I’m sure I never even saw a one in real life till at least 1990 or summit. You simply couldn’t buy them in supermarkets over here could you? Someone back me up :confused:

It was on QI that turnips came first. Pumpkins are the much more recent Americanisation of it.

Nobody had pumpkins in SR6 when I was young either .Used to take my mother and grandmother ages to carve the things like. So I think it's probably a positive thing.

What I can't understand and I gather people do it at home now too,is people going out in non-halloween themed fancy dress.

It always was turnips, pumpkins is an American thing, although other veg was used in the (far) past. Children should be taught about these Pagan festivals and myths at school.

Turnips. Used to feel sorry for me Dad as they were a bastard to scoop out and I wasn't going to do it.
This was the beginning of entitled millennial type privilege. My dad would have laughed if I'd even suggested he did that. Luckily pumpkins were invented when my privileged little poppet wanted a Halloween lantern.

Hollowing a turnip to try and replicate a turnip looked as hard as fuck. Total stupidity when you think about it. Why didn't a smart greengrocer or supermarket decide to actually stock pumpkins?

:lol:

Oh look a triangle nose.

Fuck off!
We had turnips and Bommy night. Not gay pumpkins that makes life easier. Pumpkins are responsible for millenials, the gays and obesity.

some bigger lads stopped me & dropped bangers in me pumpkin - blew the fucker to bits
Sounds like you were raped mate. I'd get therapy.

Had the very same conversation with my daughter today! We used to call turnips snadgies. Used to go snadgie hunting and nick them from the farmers fields :)
Snartas we used to call them in Darden @Amnorrageordie will back me up
Sure we used to raid the farmers field up the Green Drive anarl

Swedes in instead of pumpkins aye, but I can’t abide by anyone calling bonfire night “bommy night” ffs.
"Bonny night" we called it as in bonfire night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back