Pumpkins

It was the lovely Josie Johnson from No 14 your side that introduced me to that name. Was new to me.
I think we used to play the game with torches in the dark. We’d all hide and the finder would shout “Jack Shine a Maggie” everyone would have shine their torches for a couple of seconds then run to another hiding place while the finder ran to where they saw the lights.

It was the lovely Josie Johnson from No 14 your side that introduced me to that name. Was new to me.
Must have come from Rakey

Concurred. Used to see them on Charlie Brown cartoons and think they were just American turnips.
I recall at least 1 lad having to use a large potato as his older brother got the family turnip.

Do bullies still walk the streets with a can of hairspray, torching the narkies of unsuspecting children, like you used to?

Out of ORDER :evil:

:oops:

Local farmer has pick your own pumpkins.

He's lined up a container full of pumpkins in a ploughed field and charging double the price of the supermarket.

Kids loving it, parents hating it.

Swedes are a lot harder to hollow out than pumpkins.

Pumpkins were an import for the weak kid of today who demands instant gratification. They couldn't handle a swede.

Seems everyone had a different name for them! I'm a Shields lad and always snadgies for us. Farmers at Cleadon must have taken a battering. It was like a special ops mission in the dark!
Same field we used to hammer on the run up to Halloween, used to get them a few nights before and stash them, then carve them with a pen knife so me ma and da never knew I went out pinching them, they still used to buy me one thinking I never had one.

My mam used to use a red plastic mixing bowl that she'd cover in tinfoil with a face cut out of and a torch in for our lantern. Me and my sister would go around knocking on doors with that at Halloween. :lol:

I know what we call turnips in North East England. I'm surprised you don't considering the message board you're posting on and the team i assume you support.

SAFC season ticket holder, and have been for donkey's years.:cool:

I don't see what our football team has to do with knowing what the correct name for vegetables are mind you.

Just trying to educate the members here who are confused with said vegetables and their correct names.
But I suppose you can't get through to some people - whether they are right or wrong.

Same field we used to hammer on the run up to Halloween, used to get them a few nights before and stash them, then carve them with a pen knife so me ma and da never knew I went out pinching them, they still used to buy me one thinking I never had one.
:)

Always has been and always will be BOMMY Night.

See also Narkie for Swede.
Bontie night and snadgies ;)

Last edited:
SAFC season ticket holder, and have been for donkey's years.:cool:

I don't see what our football team has to do with knowing what the correct name for vegetables are mind you.

Just trying to educate the members here who are confused with said vegetables and their correct names.
But I suppose you can't get through to some people - whether they are right or wrong.
The north east, scotland, ireland and the south west call them turnips. Southerners call them swedes. For centuries.

Back