Pumpkins

Sorry marra, but the lad is correct.
Those big purple-topped veg with the orangey innards that bend spoons and stink the place out when burnt are SWEDES.

Logon or register to see this image

SWEDE.
No they're not, in the North East and Scotland they're turnips. If your want to use southern definitions that's your look out.

Haggis, (tur)neeps and tatties, are Brown orange and white. Southerners misname them, not the other way round.

No they're not, in the North East and Scotland they're turnips. If your want to use southern definitions that's your look out.

Haggis, (tur)neeps and tatties, are Brown orange and white. Southerners misname them, not the other way round.

Sorry Marra, but I grow the fuckers on my allotment and on the seed packet it quite clearly says SWEDE.
I also grow turnips by the way.
So I do know the difference, maybe you don't .

Swede has always been called turnip in the north east and Scotland even though it's not horticulturally correct.

I was an adult when I realised a turnip is actually a small white root vegetable and not a swede.

Sorry Marra, but I grow the fuckers on my allotment and on the seed packet it quite clearly says SWEDE.
I also grow turnips by the way.
So I do know the difference, maybe you don't .
No mate, I don't care what you grow. If you are buying a packet of seeds from a Southern producer then they will be labelled as swedes. Supermarkets insist on doing this too. But that doesn't mean that to people in the North East and Soctland they're not turnips. Because a southerner (or southern producer or retailer) is using a different definition doesn't make their definition right and ours wrong.

No mate, I don't care what you grow. If you are buying a packet of seeds from a Southern producer then they will be labelled as swedes. Supermarkets insist on doing this too. But that doesn't mean that to people in the North East and Soctland they're not turnips. Because a southerner (or southern producer or retailer) is using a different definition doesn't make their definition right and ours wrong.

He is technically right, you are also right but wrong.

Back