Prostate biopsy and psa blood test

I think I know the answer but want to double check. Three times recently there has been quite alot of blood on the toilet paper when I've been wiping. This is 3 times over about a 6 week period. I don't have any pain in that area or in my stomach so wondering if I need to see a GP or if I'm worrying about nothing. I'm 39 so getting to that age where I'm getting worried about any minor ailment but I am concerned that this time it could be something to really worry about.

Im a bit of a hypocrite here as I would bury my head in the sand but get that checked mate..im sure its nowt.

Just a quick check in here. I'm just over half way through the radiotherapy sessions - another 8 out of 20 left. 2 weeks to go.
Must admit, starting to to feel a bit weary and the waterworks are getting a bit urgent.
My mantra on life has always been take each day as it comes and if its out of your control, what's the point in worrying.
Staying massively positive about it with the support of the family at home and you lot to be fair.
All helps. Cheers.

Just a quick check in here. I'm just over half way through the radiotherapy sessions - another 8 out of 20 left. 2 weeks to go.
Must admit, starting to to feel a bit weary and the waterworks are getting a bit urgent.
My mantra on life has always been take each day as it comes and if its out of your control, what's the point in worrying.
Staying massively positive about it with the support of the family at home and you lot to be fair.
All helps. Cheers.
Stick at it you're nearly there. Accept for what it is & stay positive, you're the winner in this.

All helps. Cheers.

We're lucky to be here, likely a complete freak of biochemistry on a ball of rock amongst billions of stars. We're all here for a second, enjoy every day.

Morning all, hope everyone is doing well. Some great reading on this thread.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was being monitored regularly, have been for the last few years.
Well, my last psa test had spiked up to 10.4 and I had to go back to Urology for more tests. DRE and MRI both confirmed I have a suspicious area on the prostate and I was in this week for biopsy. One thing the doc said was that it's currently only on my prostate and not spreading.
Appointment next week for results and plan of action options. It's a bit wierd how after a few years it's suddenly real and to be honest it knocked me back a bit. I remembered this thread so thought I would drop back in and take a look.
How are you getting on @Undisputed Truth and others? I'm just kinda trying to deal with it and look at which way to go from here. Cheers all

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was being monitored regularly, have been for the last few years.
Well, my last psa test had spiked up to 10.4 and I had to go back to Urology for more tests. DRE and MRI both confirmed I have a suspicious area on the prostate and I was in this week for biopsy. One thing the doc said was that it's currently only on my prostate and not spreading.
Appointment next week for results and plan of action options. It's a bit wierd how after a few years it's suddenly real and to be honest it knocked me back a bit. I remembered this thread so thought I would drop back in and take a look.
How are you getting on @Undisputed Truth and others? I'm just kinda trying to deal with it and look at which way to go from here. Cheers all

Sounds like you're right on top of things, thats all you can do. All the best!

What type of MRI did you have ? I have had 3 . First 2 were conventional MRI.Third one was at North Tees ,it was a new T3 machine MRI. Almost 3d ,very,very detailed.Ask if your consultant can get you this type or maybe it was this type ?Also you can ask to see who is the best person to deal with your prostate. One of the best was actually based in the N.E. a few years ago.Lists are available on NHS sites etc. Remember the most important person in the hospital is YOU !

The way I've been looked after at the Freeman has been great. I have now completed my 20 sessions of radiotherapy. I was last there 2 weeks ago today. It's the fatigue and the urinary flow and urgency which is now affecting me but I'm now on a couple of tablets to help with the weeing so there's a bit of relief there.
Just awaiting a consultation appointment to follow up.
To everyone on here who reads this, especially 50 or over. Get checked regardless and that includes requesting the psa blood test. It's a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And best wishes to all this affects.

CATCH IT EARLY x

The way I've been looked after at the Freeman has been great. I have now completed my 20 sessions of radiotherapy. I was last there 2 weeks ago today. It's the fatigue and the urinary flow and urgency which is now affecting me but I'm now on a couple of tablets to help with the weeing so there's a bit of relief there.
Just awaiting a consultation appointment to follow up.
To everyone on here who reads this, especially 50 or over. Get checked regardless and that includes requesting the psa blood test. It's a MUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And best wishes to all this affects.

CATCH IT EARLY x
Lot's of people are NOT aware there are 2 types of PSA tests.Total psa and Free psa test.Total measures both free psa and psa bound to other proteins.
FREE psa test measures psa that is not bound to other proteins and is freely circulating in the bloodstream.

I think I know the answer but want to double check. Three times recently there has been quite alot of blood on the toilet paper when I've been wiping. This is 3 times over about a 6 week period. I don't have any pain in that area or in my stomach so wondering if I need to see a GP or if I'm worrying about nothing. I'm 39 so getting to that age where I'm getting worried about any minor ailment but I am concerned that this time it could be something to really worry about.
Happened to me two years ago with blood on the bog paper.
Got a hospital appointment toute de suite.
Camera up the rear exit, they had a good rummage around.
Turned out to be piles.
😅 Phew!

What type of MRI did you have ? I have had 3 . First 2 were conventional MRI.Third one was at North Tees ,it was a new T3 machine MRI. Almost 3d ,very,very detailed.Ask if your consultant can get you this type or maybe it was this type ?Also you can ask to see who is the best person to deal with your prostate. One of the best was actually based in the N.E. a few years ago.Lists are available on NHS sites etc. Remember the most important person in the hospital is YOU !
Sorry for taking a while to reply, just dodging out of work for a break. Yeah, this was a T3 thing. They said it was better resolution and detail etc. Gave me a score of 4 out of 5 which is why they called me for biopsy and further investigation.
Luckily the doctor doing the biopsy said it's very localised at the moment so fingers crossed we will get it knacked early on.
Will check out the lists you mentioned also, cheers.
Sounds like you're right on top of things, thats all you can do. All the best!
Cheers mate and to you and everyone

Last edited:
I’m sure it has been mentioned before but basically if you are over 60 there is a greater than 50% chance you have prostate cancer. Even in your 30s theres a 25% chance you have some small foci of prostate cancer.

PSA screening from 50 to 70 changes your 15 year mortality from prostate cancer from 0.74% to 0.69%. Not a huge deal.

For those of you who know about it you know, but for those who don’t please use the is website with your psa and biopsy details if you have localised prostate cancer- it puts a lot of the treatments (including active surveillance) into perspective with regards realistic benefits to life expectancy etc versus the side effects of treatment.

Back