Prostate biopsy and psa blood test

Undisputed Truth

Goalkeeper
Went to the docs a couple of weeks back with symptoms only going to toilet a couple of times during the night. Did a finger test and a couple of days later, a psa test. Referred to hospital a couple of weeks back where they tell me I have psa of 35. Under 4 is seen as normal. Over 10 is seen as dangerous. Last week had a MRI and biopsy. MRI found an area on left of prostate which looks uneven. So biopsy took more from that area. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for results. I am so worried mainly due to psa results. Any hope?

There's always hope. Well done on getting it checked out.

Iirc benign prostatic hyperplasia also produces high PSA so not necessarily PC. If it is PC and hasn't metasticised you should be ok after an operation. Sadly PC killed my dad as it was detected too late and had significantly metasticised. He had no great symptoms, lack of routine screening is a disgrace.

Went to the docs a couple of weeks back with symptoms only going to toilet a couple of times during the night. Did a finger test and a couple of days later, a psa test. Referred to hospital a couple of weeks back where they tell me I have psa of 35. Under 4 is seen as normal. Over 10 is seen as dangerous. Last week had a MRI and biopsy. MRI found an area on left of prostate which looks uneven. So biopsy took more from that area. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for results. I am so worried mainly due to psa results. Any hope?
Yes hopefully caught early and treatment effective.
PSA notorious for false positives as well as false negatives…prostatic is and other conditions as above also can produce high psa

Iirc benign prostatic hyperplasia also produces high PSA so not necessarily PC. If it is PC and hasn't metasticised you should be ok after an operation. Sadly PC killed my dad as it was detected too late and had significantly metasticised. He had no great symptoms, lack of routine screening is a disgrace.
Same here..my Dad died of it four years ago..as you say..no great symptoms and it had massively metasticised..absolutely disgraceful that there’s no routine screening in place..i had what my doctor described as a ‘blip’ on mine two years ago..i started exercising more..ate a lot better and cut the alcohol out..last two years I’ve been fine..only found out on Wednesday that this years test was ok..I tell all my mates to go and get tested.

Ta for your replies and thoughts on this so far. been reading up on it a fair bit. a lot is quite positive as to what they can do now. however when you are reading from more than one source that psa over ten is 50% likelihood of cancer up to 87% if its over 20 psa, its worrying me.tbh. suppose will find out one way or the other in a fortnight. thanks again smb x

Ta for your replies and thoughts on this so far. been reading up on it a fair bit. a lot is quite positive as to what they can do now. however when you are reading from more than one source that psa over ten is 50% likelihood of cancer up to 87% if its over 20 psa, its worrying me.tbh. suppose will find out one way or the other in a fortnight. thanks again smb x
Aye mine was high 6 or 7 years ago and triggered the biopsy ( clear thankfully then) Only afterwards did I ask what the reading was. It was about nine, so not Sky high but given age enough to mean biopsy.

First time I shot my load after that was like summat out of Reservoir Dogs

It's easy to say but try not to read too much into the PSA as they are notoriously inaccurate and only a starting point for diagnosis. Good luck.

My Dad has prostate cancer so I’m familiar with quite a bit. Some people have PSA 500+. My Dad’s was about a 14, and his had spread out too. Your levels are high but it could be other things causing it and the tests are quite unreliable at times (albeit they are also lifesavers).

From memory, if it is prostate cancer, it usually starts on one side, then the other, then breaks out. Or it doesnt grow / spread at all. Once it breaks out that’s when things can get bad, if its still contained then thats when you have the best prognosis. Sometimes if it’s just on one side the treatment is nothing. Just watch and see.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if it is the worst case scenario then treatment has progressed incredibly over the last 10-20 years and you will be in the best of hands. It doesn’t make it any less scary, but sometimes it’s best to cling to the logical outlook.

My Dad’s levels are now undetectable thanks to medication, and apart from the odd hot flush he’s doing champion.
My Dad has prostate cancer so I’m familiar with quite a bit. Some people have PSA 500+. My Dad’s was about a 14, and his had spread out too. Your levels are high but it could be other things causing it and the tests are quite unreliable at times (albeit they are also lifesavers).

From memory, if it is prostate cancer, it usually starts on one side, then the other, then breaks out. Or it doesnt grow / spread at all. Once it breaks out that’s when things can get bad, if its still contained then thats when you have the best prognosis. Sometimes if it’s just on one side the treatment is nothing. Just watch and see.

I guess what I’m trying to say is if it is the worst case scenario then treatment has progressed incredibly over the last 10-20 years and you will be in the best of hands. It doesn’t make it any less scary, but sometimes it’s best to cling to the logical outlook.

My Dad’s levels are now undetectable thanks to medication, and apart from the odd hot flush he’s doing champion.
Also, 1 in 8 men get diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it’s thought up to 75% of men who die of natural caused will have prostate cancer without knowing. If you’re over 40, and have any of the symptoms (including a water infection that lasts longer than normal), get a PSA test. Tell your dads, uncles, grandads to get one if they feel something isnt right. It saved my dad’s life!

Last edited:
I have an enlarged prostate and higher than "normal" readings. Get checked every six ish months at present and had an mri scan a couple of year ago. The doctor said the psa test can be inaccurate and they look for rising trends over time.
The doctors surgery where I was living always called in men over 50 for an annual MOT including prostate. Dad also had prostate cancer later in life.
Anyways, if caught early the treatment can be very effective mate so try and not to worry before your results are in. Easy to say I know...best wishes to you

PSA is a good predictor of PH but a pretty poor predictor of cancer.
Still it’s all we have as a painless and cheap starting point.
As with most diagnostic tests, accuracy is often a function of higher expense, invasiveness and pain!
Even a biopsy only takes ten or twelve samples from around your doughnut so it can miss cancer but a comprehensive approach is the best way.

My brother turned 60 and was contacted by the NHS to go and get a check up. “ah good old NHS” say I. So I asked him did he poke your bum hole? Did he do a PSA test? Did he schedule a colonoscopy? Did he suggest a shingles shot?

Negative to all of the above.

So what the fook is the point of setting up a 60 year medical if you’re not gonna screen for all those ailments which become so much more common beyond 60?

My BIL is 45 and just had a radical prostatectomy (African males are in a higher risk group). This is serious business lads. FFS get checked. I was not happy at all about losing my anal virginity and felt like Peter Griffin the first time I had a DRE but given the alternatives it’s literally five seconds of unpleasantness.

Last edited:
PSA is a good predictor of PH but a pretty poor predictor of cancer.
Still it’s all we have as a painless and cheap starting point.
As with most diagnostic tests, accuracy is often a function of higher expense, invasiveness and pain!
Even a biopsy only takes ten or twelve samples from around your doughnut so it can miss cancer but a comprehensive approach is the best way.

My brother turned 60 and was contacted by the NHS to go and get a check up. “ah good old NHS” say I. So I asked him did he poke your bum hole? Did he do a PSA test? Did he schedule a colonoscopy? Did he suggest a shingles shot?

Negative to all of the above.

So what the fook is the point of setting up a 60 year medical if you’re not gonna screen for all those ailments which become so much more common beyond 60?

My BIL is 45 and just had a radical prostatectomy (African males are in a higher risk group). This is serious business lads. FFS get checked. I was not happy at all about losing my anal virginity and felt like Peter Griffin the first time I had a DRE but given the alternatives it’s literally five seconds of unpleasantness.
My Doc took about 10 mins… ;)

But seriously lads get it done

I didn't want to be lazy and give you a like, that would be lazy right?

So here's a hug and RIP to your da

since the scare in mid 40’s I get called for the annual psa test and occasional finger up the hoop.

As a 51 year old who’s never been to the docs since my age 40 MOT would you recommend I get checked ?
I feel absolutely fine btw other than the usual body aches and pains that come with playing sports in my 20’s & 30s

Also, 1 in 8 men get diagnosed with prostate cancer, and it’s thought up to 75% of men who die of natural caused will have prostate cancer without knowing. If you’re over 40, and have any of the symptoms (including a water infection that lasts longer than normal), get a PSA test. Tell your dads, uncles, grandads to get one if they feel something isnt right. It saved my dad’s life!

Me Dad got diagnosed when he was 80, the consultant said don't worry something else will get you before the prostate cancer does.

He died aged 89 after the cancer spread to his bones.

Mind it worked out as good as it could have. Week in hospital feeling unwell, tests...told cancer has spread, your time is up. You've got 2 months max

He lasted a month, then died at home...we managed to get 24/7 care in place and all his friends and family got to say their goodbyes. Losing your Dad is difficult but it was as good a death as anyone could have.

Went to bed feeling a bit ropey one day, fell asleep. Never woke up, died two days later. No pain, no chaos etc.

Back