Pros for buying SAFC vs NUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
52k stadium that's well maintained and well attended
Top manager
Unified, happy fanbase
Premier League team, and look good for survival thus far.
No external debt (just to Ashley)
Potential to grow commercial revenue which has stagnated due to current owner
City centre location with excellent transport links

vs

40k stadium which has been neglected with dropping attendances*
Average-to-poor manager
Fanbase that's somewhere between furious and apathetic*
Championship and not looking good for an immediate return thus far.
External debt
Not a city centre location, without excellent transport links

It's a no brainer for me Jeff.

*not a dig at all. I get why people aren't forking out their hard earned money to go and watch Sunderland at the minute.

Top manager
Unified, happy fanbase

vs

Average-to-poor manager
External debt

*not a dig at all. I get why people aren't forking out their hard earned money to go and watch Sunderland at the minute.

But but but the SOL is more symmetrical.

I'm not sure either club would be particularly attractive for investors. While Newcastle city centre is a definite upgrade on Sunderland, it is in a region that top-class players don't want to come too.

This is why SAFC is in the mess it finds itself in. We've overspent on below average players, on players that we couldn't really afford. I think NUFC will have similar problems to us, maybe Ashley realises this too.

In football terms, all the power currently lays in London and the big cities.
And yet Newcastle have had plenty of decent players through the door. Build a decent side and pay the wages and players will sign. As far as cities go is there really that much difference between Newcastle/Manchester/Liverpool/Birmingham? What is it they have that Newcastle doesn't?

And yet Newcastle have had plenty of decent players through the door. Build a decent side and pay the wages and players will sign. As far as cities go is there really that much difference between Newcastle/Manchester/Liverpool/Birmingham? What is it they have that Newcastle doesn't?

The others all have more than one football team.

You make more money buying a property that needs investment but has plenty of potential, no point in buying one that can't be extended or improved and being sold at the top end of it's value.

We have a better ground, state of the art training facility which is all paid for. We will be cheaper by around £200 million and have similar levels of debt.

They have a better squad, they have £100 million a year TV money but there is little doubt that if somebody wanted to "buy" the Championship then it could be done with SAFC without too much trouble. You would end up with a Premier league football club for a smaller investment than buying the mags.

In terms of fanbase both are similar and any threat of success and both stadiums would be sold out each week.

Depends what you want I guess....Sunderland is primed and ready for a revolution and for somebody to make themselves an absolute legend as an owner.....Newcastle is on a hiding to nothing unless you have the really big money to throw at it like the Arabs as massive spending in the Prem will buy you mid table these days.
For someone with a desire to go for either, the basic cost of a champ. club [+its debts], with the prospect of taking it back into the prem. TV money realms, would arguably be what attracts interest from potential buyers. SoL & AoL ownership make it the complete package of good facilities, along with the potential of being able to build a club on the rise with the related merchandising profits.

Top manager
Unified, happy fanbase

vs

Average-to-poor manager
External debt

48k Stadium actually ;)

The Sol is almost in the city centre and there is a direct train link to that London.

Can't really disagree with the rest though.

Manchester is far more vibrant than Newcastle with a far more diverse population and is seen as the second city ahead of Birmingham. It also has far more global connections by air. You can't even compare it to Newcastle.

I agree that there's little difference between the other cities you mentioned.

Manchester is far more vibrant than Newcastle with a far more diverse population and is seen as the second city ahead of Birmingham. It also has far more global connections by air. You can't even compare it to Newcastle.

I agree that there's little difference between the other cities you mentioned.
Of course you can compare it, you've just done that. There's little difference between them if you are being honest apart from the airport. It might be a consideration for someone who has to take a lot of public flights but that's not really footballers is it.

Of course you can compare it, you've just done that. There's little difference between them if you are being honest apart from the airport. It might be a consideration for someone who has to take a lot of public flights but that's not really footballers is it.

There's a big difference between Manchester and Newcastle and not just in the level of rainfall. ;)

There's a big difference between Manchester and Newcastle and not just in the level of rainfall. ;)
Apart from the airport you haven't given any specifics. There's nothing that stands out that would sway the decision for a footballer. Shops, city housing, rural housing,night life, quiet life, schools. Every major city can pretty much offer the same. The primary consideration for them is how much will I get, is the squad decent and will I get a game. Good players will go to the north east if the club will pay what they want and the team are reasonably successful. The idea that they are put off by the area is a nonsense.

Top manager
Unified, happy fanbase

vs

Average-to-poor manager
External debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back