Proposal for an incinerator plant in Washington

• Thread starter Deleted member 31333
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where do you think they take it ?

Somewhere else, like Newcastle perhaps ??

Without providing any actual detail to those claims it is not going to get you anywhere.

There's a risk of fire?

From a place that burns 215,000 tonnes of stuff a year, yeah I imagine there is a risk of fire, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think the risk of fire was in the incinerator itself
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Somewhere else, like Newcastle perhaps ??

From a place that burns 215,000 tonnes of stuff a year, yeah I imagine there is a risk of fire, you'd have to be pretty stupid to think the risk of fire was in the incinerator itself
Logon or register to see this image

There's a risk of fire with literally every single development on the planet. It's not a material consideration and it'll be thrown out without comment.

If you want to respond to this application properly then you're going to need to provide factual based evidence to support your claims. You're pissing into the wind otherwise.

This is quite ironic given that nobody here has mentioned the old chemical works which used to be at Washington - Newalls Insulation I think it was. There used to be a mountain of slag made up of Asbestos and Cyanide oozing into the Wear.
It's still there I think it just has a couple of metres of topsoil over it.

I live in Washington and I can't see we will benefit in any way from this plant. It's going to take over the skyline and pollute the air. Nissan will no doubt get a cheap deal on electricity that is generated by the plant seeing as they've tried to set these plants up next to large plants elsewhere but that'll be the only benefit

A piss take that Sharon Hodgson wouldn't endorse the petition due to a 'conflict of interest'

It seems like a massively technical proposal but a quick search tells me it is not an incinerator but a gasification plant. Seems they are quite different and some of the local reaction seems somewhat ill informed.

My worry is more to do with Sunderland council having the ability to ensure that the required environmental standards are set/met. I would be more comfortable with a bigger plant that would need to be approved by the planning inspectorate.

What is the risk of fire above and beyond any other factory?

Why won't the roads and infrastructure be able to cope with demands? They'd come straight down the a19 and along the Nissan road. Its generally quiet there apart from the half hour around shift changes 2-3 times a day.

I wouldn't be happy about that being built around where I lived but the objection need a bit more evidence at least. That email people are asked to send doesn't really say much.

I live in Washington and I can't see we will benefit in any way from this plant. It's going to take over the skyline and pollute the air. Nissan will no doubt get a cheap deal on electricity that is generated by the plant seeing as they've tried to set these plants up next to large plants elsewhere but that'll be the only benefit

A piss take that Sharon Hodgson wouldn't endorse the petition due to a 'conflict of interest'
Take over the skyline? It's one chimney, unless the rest of the place is a similar height I doubt it's going to be very intrusive.
What are the environmental impacts, and how do they compare to landfill or an alternative old fashioned incinerator rather than a gasification plant?
I can understand people's concerns, but all I'm hearing is little soundbites 'roads can't cope', 'it's a fire risk', 'it'll damage the environment' but where are all of the facts and figures to back up these claims?
The council will quite easily reply to that stock email with their own stock response covering all of the points and no doubt referencing some surveys/studies to cover each of them.
If there is to be a campaign then someone needs to start dealing with the facts and not hysterical soundbites.

27ft higher than Durham house. Will be located on Hillthorn Business park behind Barmston next to Nissan. Been protests about it and there's a Facebook page called 'no monster incinerator in Washington' with a lot more information. There's also a petition going around that has been presented to Sharon Hodgson who refused to sign. There is no planning permission yet however it's on the council core strategy.

Wasn't aware of this until I was speaking to someone about it today. May interest some people on here who live in/near the area. Sorry if there's already a thread kicking about but couldn't see anything said about it.
Well I suppose they have to do something to deal with all of those unwashed Mag shirts

There's a risk of fire with literally every single development on the planet. It's not a material consideration and it'll be thrown out without comment.

If you want to respond to this application properly then you're going to need to provide factual based evidence to support your claims. You're pissing into the wind otherwise.

m8, I've just fired off an email because that's what the protesters wanted me to do, I live in Washington and don't fancy being the dumping ground for all the north-easts rubbish with what has been described as the biggest plant of it's kind in the world.

If you have genuine questions and concerns I'm not the one to be answering them, try the facebook page> https://www.facebook.com/NoMoInWashington/

m8, I've just fired off an email because that's what the protesters wanted me to do, I live in Washington and don't fancy being the dumping ground for all the north-easts rubbish with what has been described as the biggest plant of it's kind in the world.

If you have genuine questions and concerns I'm not the one to be answering them, try the facebook page> https://www.facebook.com/NoMoInWashington/

My point is that the protestors are going to get nowhere with that email. No matter how many people send it.

My point is that the protestors are going to get nowhere with that email. No matter how many people send it.

I couldn't give a fuck !

It seems like a massively technical proposal but a quick search tells me it is not an incinerator but a gasification plant. Seems they are quite different and some of the local reaction seems somewhat ill informed.

My worry is more to do with Sunderland council having the ability to ensure that the required environmental standards are set/met. I would be more comfortable with a bigger plant that would need to be approved by the planning inspectorate.

In relation to the use of the word 'incinerator' to describe their proposed facility, the Industrial Emissions Directive (Directive 2010/75/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 November 2010 on industrial emissions) replaced the Waste Incineration Directive. In England and Wales the requirements of Industrial Emissions Directive were transposed into legislation by The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 which were made on the 20 February and came into force on the 27 February. So, since February 2013 UK law reflects the fact that gasification plants are incinerators. Before then, gasification plants were classed as incinerators by virtue of being regulated under the Waste Incineration Directive. The Industrial Emissions Directive includes what was previously the Waste Incineration Directive. The Industrial Emissions Directive definition of 'waste incineration plant' [found within Article 3, Paragraph 40] reads as follows:

"‘waste incineration plant’ means any stationary or mobile technical unit and equipment dedicated to the thermal treatment of waste, with or without recovery of the combustion heat generated, through the incineration by oxidation of waste as well as other thermal treatment processes, such as pyrolysis, gasification or plasma process, if the substances resulting from the treatment are subsequently incinerated"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back