property developing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come down here then. They drop you in an instant for a marginally better job. I now use mates and mates of mates only. It's taken me 2 eeks to get a Gardner to come and quite me and a month for 3 people to get a quote for a retile of a shower cubicle.
Why would I come down there? You come up here. :lol:

Oddly enough mind I've done both. I'm just telling you my experience so fsr of tradesmen in general has been overwhelming negative.
Yeah. I was just telling you my experiences. I know a fair few lads in various trades and they are nothing like you describe. Always worth doing a few background checks before getting anyone in mind. Same with everything I suppose.

Yeah. I was just telling you my experiences. I know a fair few lads in various trades and they are nothing like you describe. Always worth doing a few background checks before getting anyone in mind. Same with everything I suppose.
Same as me and they often tell me they'll drop one for a better paying one. Maybe it's a London thing

No no. Come on. What is a banker.

Come down here then. They drop you in an instant for a marginally better job. I now use mates and mates of mates only. It's taken me 2 eeks to get a Gardner to come and quite me and a month for 3 people to get a quote for a retile of a shower cubicle.

And why is that..... because there shitty little jobs with next to no money in them. So if the tradesmen has bills family to support is it any wonder he’ll go to the bigger job with more profit

Different up here to that London generally word of mouth you need to have job running one after another, some people let you down cancel and run out of money. My experience of banks and bankers is negative lost money in Northern Rock, offered lower mortgage rate then retracted and like all of us shafted by the banker who gave us austerity.

Iirc property development is a piece of piss, easy money and nowt like real work. Buy low, bit of hoovering and sell high. Everybody wins. You'd be daft not to. Once you've got a solid portfolio, with somebody else managing all the day-to-day shit, you can spend your time doing exactly what you want. Wattba.
ps I dont think brexit will adversely affect the above, if anything there'll be more opportunities for the right people.

Iirc property development is a piece of piss, easy money and nowt like real work. Buy low, bit of hoovering and sell high. Everybody wins. You'd be daft not to. Once you've got a solid portfolio, with somebody else managing all the day-to-day shit, you can spend your time doing exactly what you want. Wattba.
ps I dont think brexit will adversely affect the above, if anything there'll be more opportunities for the right people.
Hope your right

Not sure why, just doesn't sit easy with me that some people build up portfolios of houses to rent and others can't even get on the ladder

Not sure why, just doesn't sit easy with me that some people build up portfolios of houses to rent and others can't even get on the ladder
They don't even have to use their own money either. They just get mortgage to rent and the dopey feckers people who actually pay the mortgage never own anything. I went with my son to see the mortgage advisor wifey and she had loads of her own shit on the go and was always looking for more. Using the contacts etc. she had built up, as well as the perceived trustworthiness of working at a bank, and knowing how to play the (bank's IT) system to her advantage.

I would love it if I could afford to do it.

I'm actually looking forward to being off sick in a couple of weeks so I can watch back to back Homes under the Hammer :lol:

If you can get channel W (109) then try My Dream House with Drew and Jonathon Scott. Two nice lads, twins, one a realtor, the other a constructor. They do some really nice work, probably streets ahead of pretty much anything in this country. Basic premise of show is that prospective buyers want a dream home but don’t have the cash to buy one, so Drew find fixer ups for them, Jonathon does the design and the couple help Jonathon with the basic stripping out of the house before remodelling begins. Expect lots of walls being knocked down and even windows being resited! They have back to back shows from 2-4pm Monday to Friday.

Last edited:
Bought a holiday home in Cape Town - it was a piece of cake and it's looking like the best investment I've made to date
Good stuff mate. Quite high murder rate there mind so watch yourself on those holidays ;)
I prefer to think fortune favours the brave. And some countries need wheels oiled in different ways.
Well aye it's the corruption in some other countries that's the issue. But if you have the money and can be the corrupt party then there's plenty of wheels can be greased.

Last edited:
If you can get channel W (109) then try My Dream House with Drew and Jonathon Scott. Two nice lads, twins, one a realtor, the other a constructor. They do some really nice work, probably streets ahead of pretty much anything in this country. Basic premise of show is that prospective buyers want a dream home but don’t have the cash to buy one, so Drew find fixer ups for them, Jonathon does the design and the couple help Jonathon with the basic stripping out of the house before remodelling begins. Expect lots of walls being knocked down and even windows being resited! They have back to back shows from 2-4pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks. I do get that channel so I'll give it a go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back