property developing

If you can get channel W (109) then try My Dream House with Drew and Jonathon Scott. Two nice lads, twins, one a realtor, the other a constructor. They do some really nice work, probably streets ahead of pretty much anything in this country. Basic premise of show is that prospective buyers want a dream home but don’t have the cash to buy one, so Drew find fixer ups for them, Jonathon does the design and the couple help Jonathon with the basic stripping out of the house before remodelling begins. Expect lots of walls being knocked down and even windows being resited! They have back to back shows from 2-4pm Monday to Friday.
Do they have two different shows as I've not seen that one but our lass always has the one on where they do up the couple's own house so they can sell it quicker.

How do property prices in Cape Town compare to France for example? Have you experienced any crime/hostility?
We've visited Cape Town for the past 20 odd years hence the decision to buy a home there.
In that time we've never seen a scrap of bother and the seaside suburb where we have bought has a much lower crime rate than here in Sunderland. Most of the troubles are confined to the townships imho.
Regarding prices our 2 bed apartment which has panoramic views of Robben Island and Table Mountain cost us 130k

Last edited:
Do they have two different shows as I've not seen that one but our lass always has the one on where they do up the couple's own house so they can sell it quicker.

They are very popular in Canada and the USA and have multiple series. I know of three, the one that they did up for Drew and his new wife, Property Head to Head, where the two brothers find houses and each do up one room in their house each week and have it judged by a property expert from other property tv series, and the current one showing on ‘W’ which is My Dream House.

I love the banter and competitiveness between the two brothers but sometimes feel heart sick for Jonathon when he has a really demanding couple moving the goal posts every two minutes and still expecting him to complete in budget within the original time scale. I would bang them round the head with a piece of two by four if I were him!

We've visited Cape Town for the past 20 odd years hence the decision to buy a home there.
In that time we've never seen a scrap of bother and the seaside suburb where we have bought has a much lower crime rate than here in Sunderland. Most of the troubles are confined to the townships imho.
Regarding prices our 2 bed apartment which has panoramic views of Robben Island and Table Mountain cost us 130k
would you make it permanent?

Project managing tradesmen is like catching custard. Unreliable twats that prey on people that don't know what they're doing. And tax dodgers.
Have to agree. Unless you have a trade or have family you can trust who have a trade then alot of the profit when doing up properties goes into others pockets. Thats not to say money can't be made but everyone seems into buying property and auctions now aren't the bargain hunters dreams anymore.
You are just dealing with the wrong ones. There's plenty of good honest lads just going about earning a living imo.
There are however there are a lot of dodgy ones. The good ones are usually booked up solid for 4-5 months which is no good for someone who needs a property flipping quickly. Even the good ones seem to start a job then move onto another job before completion which I can see is necessary for them as it guarantees another job but it can be frustrating.

Last edited:
Have to agree. Unless you have a trade or have family you can trust who have a trade then alot of the profit when doing up properties goes into others pockets. Thats not to say money can't be made but everyone seems into buying property and auctions now aren't the bargain hunters dreams anymore.

There are however there are a lot of dodgy ones. The good ones are usually booked up solid for 4-5 months which is no good for someone who needs a property flipping quickly. Even the good ones seem to start a job then move onto another job before completion which I can see is necessary for them as it guarantees another job but it can be frustrating.
There is good and bad mate. Same in every industry.

Anything that stops or at least hinders people "flipping" properties is fine by me tho.

Last edited:
you can get run down slum properties in bad areas for 10-15k but would it be worth sprucing one up or would the area reflect the selling price

Project managing tradesmen is like catching custard. Unreliable twats that prey on people that don't know what they're doing. And tax dodgers.
The amount of people that I know who have spunked massive amounts of cash that they will never see a return on could fill a book.

You are just dealing with the wrong ones. There's plenty of good honest lads just going about earning a living imo.
Very much so,doing jobs for good project managers
No no. Come on. What is a banker.

Come down here then. They drop you in an instant for a marginally better job. I now use mates and mates of mates only. It's taken me 2 eeks to get a Gardner to come and quite me and a month for 3 people to get a quote for a retile of a shower cubicle.
Sounds like you're one of those with a unique way of talking to people that only you don't spot

Last edited:
Lass at works just ploughed fortune into a 2nd home near Bamburgh as an investment . Strange one with Brexit on horizon as could impact property prices / interest rates , also she’s bought at upper end of price market , think it’s bout 450k :eek:

Aye its called "buying and selling" with the property brothers - love it, one of my favourite shows :cool:
Lass at works just ploughed fortune into a 2nd home near Bamburgh as an investment . Strange one with Brexit on horizon as could impact property prices / interest rates , also she’s bought at upper end of price market , think it’s bout 450k :eek:
Crazy move tbh.

Last edited:
Wasting your time, people, the Banksters have taken it all and pissed in the water, cretins each and every one of them.

Very much so,doing jobs for good project managers

Sounds like you're one of those with a unique way of talking to people that only you don't spot
Well aye apart from my job relying on me connecting with people. Apart from that you're spot on. As expected tonight I had a lad coming to quite me to replace a shower cubicle and reseal the wall. Sorry mate, can't come til Friday. Aye don't bother mate. I left work early to accommodate you.

anybody tried their hand at it?
on a similar theme, anybody looked to purchase a foreign property, either for later retirement or holiday use or let

I've done a couple of gut job renovations, and kept one for rental income.

The two gut jobs I have done has been part of a team with a more senior/experienced developer.

Next project is looking like an add a level project. Higher risk, but much higher reward.

Back