property developing

IF had that sort of money to invest then should have bought two smaller cheaper properties to rent out IMO
If I had that sort of money I'd have bought 4 rock solid rental properties at about £85000 each with a £15000 max reno budget to get me about £550+ rent per month.

Well aye apart from my job relying on me connecting with people. Apart from that you're spot on. As expected tonight I had a lad coming to quite me to replace a shower cubicle and reseal the wall. Sorry mate, can't come til Friday. Aye don't bother mate. I left work early to accommodate you.
:evil: The rotten bastard, you'd think he would have dropped all his other jobs and got on with your's immediately.

If you can get channel W (109) then try My Dream House with Drew and Jonathon Scott. Two nice lads, twins, one a realtor, the other a constructor. They do some really nice work, probably streets ahead of pretty much anything in this country. Basic premise of show is that prospective buyers want a dream home but don’t have the cash to buy one, so Drew find fixer ups for them, Jonathon does the design and the couple help Jonathon with the basic stripping out of the house before remodelling begins. Expect lots of walls being knocked down and even windows being resited! They have back to back shows from 2-4pm Monday to Friday.
Yeah the brothers have a much larger budget than most of the UK shows. They were in New Jersey a couple of years ago and were sniffing around one of my listings to film in (seller ultimately said no). In order to get on the show you have to be a 20% down buyer with at least $100k available in renovation budget. They do some great work, I won't deny that.

It was agreed a week ago. The responses so fsr on this thread have pretty much been spot on about the money grabbing tax avoiding tradesmen
How was it agreed, if he was there giving you a quote, ya daft knacker.

and how do they avoid paying tax?

Last edited:
Mg
How was it agreed, if he was there giving you a quote, ya daft knacker.

and how do they avoid paying tax?
I'll be there next Tuesday between 5 and 7. I even had to call him as he hadn't bothered to let me know.

Are you paying cash or with vat. Don't play innocent

Mg
I'll be there next Tuesday between 5 and 7. I even had to call him as he hadn't bothered to let me know.

Are you paying cash or with vat. Don't play innocent
"I'll be there next Tuesday between 5 and 7" to give you a quote, not, to do the job!

"Are you paying cash or with vat. Don't play innocent" hold on here, so the person having the work done gets it cheaper, but it's the tradesman that's cheating, if there was an arrangement for a cash job, both parties are responsible.
Besides, he'll still have to submit his books to the taxman, and they don't just take his word for earnings, he might get away with the odd job, but his annual earnings still need to add up, anything suspicious and they'll start an investigation.

"I'll be there next Tuesday between 5 and 7" to give you a quote, not, to do the job!

"Are you paying cash or with vat. Don't play innocent" hold on here, so the person having the work done gets it cheaper, but it's the tradesman that's cheating, if there was an arrangement for a cash job, both parties are responsible.
Besides, he'll still have to submit his books to the taxman, and they don't just take his word for earnings, he might get away with the odd job, but his annual earnings still need to add up, anything suspicious and they'll start an investigation.
Perfect example. Thanks for proving it.

Perfect example. Thanks for proving it.
I'll tell you what really happened, He'll have turned up, talked to you and thought to himself, "This bloke seems like a right smug, snobby prick, I don't think I'll bother with this job, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth, and you played right into his hands.. 🤭 good luck with the job though Minkey.....:lol:

Last edited:
I'll tell you what really happened, He'll have turned up, talked to you and thought to himself, "This bloke seems like a right smug, snobby prick, I don't think I'll bother with this job, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth, and you played right into his hands.. 🤭 good luck with the job though Minkey.....:lol:
Tell you what happened.i left work early and he didn't call me. I had to call him.

As I said. Perfect example.
Says more about you tbh, tradesmen tend to look after their customers, after all, those are the people they make their living from, and word of mouth goes a long way, more so in London, they do however have an inbuilt sense for sussing out a wrong'un, they get burned once or twice, then they learn how to subtly turn down jobs without being to rude, sounds like he nailed you to me.

Not sure why, just doesn't sit easy with me that some people build up portfolios of houses to rent and others can't even get on the ladder

Ah that'll be your human conscience prickling you. Your humanity.

You're exactly right when you say that it is morally objectionable that some people have 20 or a 100 'properties' as they like to coyly refer to them, while many others have no 'home' (as we call them) at all. That most basic of needs - shelter and a roof over your head.

But for them their love of dirty money, money is greater than their love for their fellow human being.

Says more about you tbh, tradesmen tend to look after their customers, after all, those are the people they make their living from, and word of mouth goes a long way, more so in London, they do however have an inbuilt sense for sussing out a wrong'un, they get burned once or twice, then they learn how to subtly turn down jobs without being to rude, sounds like he nailed you to me.
I've not met the guy. He came on a recommendation. I asked him to come quote. Never met the guy before other than a phone call where I said I wanted a certain shape shower tray. If this is the disdain you treat your customers with I can see why tradesmen have a bad rep. I mean all I wanted was help and to pay the guy. I had a velux installed last week no bother. He'll get repeat business as will his mate who made it good afterwards

I've not met the guy. He came on a recommendation. I asked him to come quote. Never met the guy before other than a phone call where I said I wanted a certain shape shower tray. If this is the disdain you treat your customers with I can see why tradesmen have a bad rep. I mean all I wanted was help and to pay the guy. I had a velux installed last week no bother. He'll get repeat business as will his mate who made it good afterwards
Maybe you just met your building equivalent of Richard Fuld .... 🤭

Tradesmen can pick and choose their jobs at the minute. They are in short supply.

Hard enough getting work done on yer own house never mind another one. Fuck that

Back