Processed food

Vesta boil in the bag beef curry
Vesta Chicken Chow Minh with crispy noodles (I am still disappointed that crispy noodles aren't a real thing)
Findus crispy pancakes
Findus French bread crispy pizzza, with the strange tasting sausage stuff on top
Buitoni tinned ravioli
Boil in the bag cod mornay (a bit classier)
And endless frozen burgers

How I don't have BSE is beyond me
Buitoni Ravioli was nasty.
Tinned Meatballs in gravy, not sure they identified exactly what ~meat~ was
Fish fingers was a regular staple.....chips and beans
Lumpy instant custard on some kind of stodgy Pud

On the back of the thread about meat paste.
What is your first memory of processed food? Some of the youth will not remember a time without out but processed food was very rare when I was a youth. Granted, “what do you want with your chips” was the main route of our tea but what was your first processed food? I can remember my dad having a Vesta Curry which seemed very exotic. I can remember potato waffles getting released too but these were nothing compared to a vesta.
I’m 52.
That's a blast from the past alright! It might have been this or possible a tinned Fray Bentos pie.
I probably had my first freeze-dried prawn curry about 1964, and it was my go-to thing if my Mam was cooking something I didn't like. I just wouldn't show up for tea, and knock up a Vesta when I got in. (We didn't have a pantry- we had a shop, which served the same function.) They were introduced by Batchelors in 1961 and were very popular for a while... probably until we started getting lots of take-aways that did the real thing.

First memories of "made food" in a tin was Fray Bentos' horrible pies and Chunky Chicken which me mam ironically made a pie out of.
😁

Loved all the weird stuff that followed, Vesta Curries, Findus Pancakes, Toast Toppers were a favourite, the zenith of this revolution was Angel Delight.

Buitoni Ravioli was nasty.
Tinned Meatballs in gravy, not sure they identified exactly what ~meat~ was
Fish fingers was a regular staple.....chips and beans
Lumpy instant custard on some kind of stodgy Pud

I remember really liking buitoni ravioli as a kid, but my own children wanted to try some, and a found somewhere which still sells them

We opened the can, took a whiff and threw it away

It less apparent but the intoduction of the mass produced sliced white bread loaf in the 1950's - things like Wonderloaf and Mother's Pride - resulted in the nation consuming a huge amount of processed food.

So too with the humble potato. I believe that something like 90% of the spuds eaten in the UK are processed - things like crips -cook in the oven chips instant mash and in microwave meals etc

It less apparent but the intoduction of the mass produced sliced white bread loaf in the 1950's - things like Wonderloaf and Mother's Pride - resulted in the nation consuming a huge amount of processed food.

So too with the humble potato. I believe that something like 90% of the spuds eaten in the UK are processed - things like crips -cook in the oven chips instant mash and in microwave meals etc
A friend moves dozens of lorries to east anglia from Cornwall every week for processing. That plant takes 100s every week

Campbell's Meatballs, loved them as a bairn. Got them once as an adult, never again, vile.

Very rarely eat owt processed now and usually cook from scratch, dropped a fair amount of weight too.

Back