Processed food

Vesta boil in the bag beef curry
Vesta Chicken Chow Minh with crispy noodles (I am still disappointed that crispy noodles aren't a real thing)
Findus crispy pancakes
Findus French bread crispy pizzza, with the strange tasting sausage stuff on top
Buitoni tinned ravioli
Boil in the bag cod mornay (a bit classier)
And endless frozen burgers

How I don't have BSE is beyond me

Memories of my dad eating tinned burgers.
Toast toppers are another
Now there's a thing, tinned burgers, Yes!
That mantra works until you’re faced with a post op them.
My 60s & 70s junior life (as was) was totally filled with utter "heart attack imminent" diet. But I loved it.
Chocolate Angel Delight, half a pint of milk, whisk until creamy, leave for 5 minutes to set. Feeds four! Really?
Only one in our house.

Last edited:
On the back of the thread about meat paste.
What is your first memory of processed food? Some of the youth will not remember a time without out but processed food was very rare when I was a youth. Granted, “what do you want with your chips” was the main route of our tea but what was your first processed food? I can remember my dad having a Vesta Curry which seemed very exotic. I can remember potato waffles getting released too but these were nothing compared to a vesta.
I’m 52.
Vesta Chow Mein

Now ya talkin……

I can remember my parents getting a fridge in the mid 70s, one of those with a small freezer compartment. My brother used to have those mince and (suet) puddings that you used to boil. Times were different and people were slimmer in the main.
I'd be a lot slimmer if that's all there was to eat.

Loads of fresh veg and clean meats in a diet should realistically counter the negative health impact of processed foods*

*If your able to afford this in the current economic climate.

Lets not forget. Those whom are most likely to be living in poverty are the ones living on processed foods. What a society we live in.

Loads of fresh veg and clean meats in a diet should realistically counter the negative health impact of processed foods*

*If your able to afford this in the current economic climate.

Lets not forget. Those whom are most likely to be living in poverty are the ones living on processed foods. What a society we live in.
It’s mental that eating something that has been heavily processed is more of an economic choice than a bag of fresh veg and a pennies of herbs and spices and a chicken leg ( enter vegetarian options)

It’s mental that eating something that has been heavily processed is more of an economic choice than a bag of fresh veg and a pennies of herbs and spices and a chicken leg ( enter vegetarian options)

It really is mate. I was in the supermarket the other day and spent 40 odd quid on fresh produce. Came out with 2 carrier bags full. Wouldve easily managed 5 bags buying processed shite.

Think processed food is ok, it is ultra processed food that is the problem. It really needs to be looked at in my opinion. It's bad for our health and our children's health. Companies are making massive profits on it and pushing the end result onto the NHS and the state. The problem is exacerbated by the fact modern life is stupidly busy and it's easy to cook.

Chicken Kiev's for me. Love chicken goujons as well.
When you look at the definition of processed food you realise it's been around since way back when. Processed covers a hell of a lot of food we buy in shops.
Even basics such as bread are processed.
As you say it's ultra processed that is the problem. I now try to eat as little of it as possible. If I cut out all processed though, not just ultra I'd starve.

I remember in the mid 60's we had a gas fridge in the larder/pantry underneath the "cold shelf"
It had a small icebox in the top of it.
My mam would get frozen fish fingers and beef burgers if she was "flush".
Loved Angel Delight too.
Then came the 70's when we got a bigger "fridge/freezer, and the afore mentioned " raspberry ripple mousse" were a favourite.
Along with Vesta packet currys and Smash instant potato - and even "boil in the bag" meals were a thing.
The cold shelf in the pantry was a 3 inch (or so) slab of concrete. The new council estates built in the 50s usually had one as fridges weren't really a thing for working class folk.
I remember when Walls ice cream van used to come around the estate where I was brought up. It was a blue removal type van with a hatch in the side. He'd park up outside the club and get sales from the Sunday lunchtime drinkers. Then he'd go around the estate and we'd get a slab of ice cream for after Sunday dinner. The slab of ice cream was put on the cold slab and hopefully it didn't melt till after dinner.
I had walls ice cream yesterday and the taste has completely changed. It's now nothing like how it used to taste, sadly.

Probs fish fingers and potato waffles (with beans), these seemed to more prevalent during the 6 week school holidays, as quick/easy to cobble together around us playing out at all times. Had the crispy pancakes, wasn't a massive fan, mainly as you burnt your gob if you wanted it down fast. I kind of remember our first serving of oven chips, Dad held out longer than most with the old deep fat/lard frier.

Back