Processed food

On the back of the thread about meat paste.
What is your first memory of processed food? Some of the youth will not remember a time without out but processed food was very rare when I was a youth. Granted, “what do you want with your chips” was the main route of our tea but what was your first processed food? I can remember my dad having a Vesta Curry which seemed very exotic. I can remember potato waffles getting released too but these were nothing compared to a vesta.
I’m 52.

On the back of the thread about meat paste.
What is your first memory of processed food? Some of the youth will not remember a time without out but processed food was very rare when I was a youth. Granted, “what do you want with your chips” was the main route of our tea but what was your first processed food? I can remember my dad having a Vesta Curry which seemed very exotic. I can remember potato waffles getting released too but these were nothing compared to a vesta.
I’m 52.
Birdseye potato waffles waffly versatile,I remember the release,first processed food had to be some turkey product from Bernard Mathews bootiful.

I can remember my parents getting a fridge in the mid 70s, one of those with a small freezer compartment. My brother used to have those mince and (suet) puddings that you used to boil. Times were different and people were slimmer in the main.
We got our first fridge around 1967 just after the Captain Birdseye adverts started on TV. I remember the first frozen burgers being pan fried and served between slices of Mothers Pride

Seems to be a right social media buzz about this at the minute like

Eddie Abbew hates it like

Think processed food is ok, it is ultra processed food that is the problem. It really needs to be looked at in my opinion. It's bad for our health and our children's health. Companies are making massive profits on it and pushing the end result onto the NHS and the state. The problem is exacerbated by the fact modern life is stupidly busy and it's easy to cook.

Chicken Kiev's for me. Love chicken goujons as well.

Last edited:
Apart from breakfast cereal, I remember my dad having various Vesta meals & we occasionally got Findus Crispy Pancakes on a Saturday or during school holidays, but my mam was a cook on school dinners so for the most part out weekday tea was whatever hadn't sold out at work that day warmed back up.

Back