Processed food

Wasn't the pre-cursor to Vesta Curry , a tinned curry that had 2 compartments - one half the curry and the other was rice . You boiled the tin in a pan for a month or so and then scalded yourself trying to get the contents out as you had to use the tin opener on both ends :)

Last edited:
On the back of the thread about meat paste.
What is your first memory of processed food? Some of the youth will not remember a time without out but processed food was very rare when I was a youth. Granted, “what do you want with your chips” was the main route of our tea but what was your first processed food? I can remember my dad having a Vesta Curry which seemed very exotic. I can remember potato waffles getting released too but these were nothing compared to a vesta.
I’m 52.
Fish fingers? Definitely remember Vesta beef madras and chow mien.

Bernard Matthew breaded turkey steaks with a slice of plastic cheese on them I used to love.
Oh and turkey drumsticks. They were vile though.

Last edited:
Tyne Brand stuffed pork roll, they had Jack Douglas on the tv advert.

That and most of what’s been mentioned, crispy pancakes, various vesta meals, minted lamb dalesteaks, cod with parsley sauce in a bag, roast beef in a bag, fray bentos etc. My Mam cooked amazing meals from scratch but in the summer holidays these things were trollied out too.

Various Vesta meals - there were curries but my mam was already doing her take on a cooked curry with the Sunday diiner left overs, the paella, the risotto, the chow mein with crispy noodles and at least one more Chinese meal (sweet and sour or chop suey)?

Beyond that, it depends on the definition of processed - would Birdseye fishcakes, for example, count as processed? Ditto, fish fingers.

Frey bentos pies (in a tin)

Goblin meat (apparently) pies in a tin

Puro milk (I think it was pasturised 😬 )

Angel delight?

Back