Prime Video now with Ads

Yep, wouldn't surprise me if it's already started, given every company now seemingly has their own streaming service now. Realistically companies should be trying to make themselves as appealing as possible, but thanks to profiteering everyone is seemingly making them as shite as possible whilst getting the most money before the whole thing goes pop.
True. Program sharing would be a good thing. Netflix produced, after a year allow other platforms to stream in return for their programs and give royalties on viewing. We have gone from expensive Sky subscriptions to cheaper Netflix to now having content spread over a good few streaming services, which are as expensive as Sky to watch them all.

Does anyone else use the 'Amazon Household' option, albeit not in the same house? You can have 2 accounts both with Prime benefits with just 1 Prime subscription. I just give the 2nd account to me Mam who uses it to buy her own stuff and watch the odd thing. You have to agree to share payment options but it's well worth it and I just pay the yearly sub. Any Amazon discounts/specials/deals also work on both accounts so even creating a dummy 2nd account just to take advantage of that is something I'd recommend.

You can also have up to 6 'users' for amazon devices that can be used anywhere so I've got another Amazon device at my mates but they rarely watch it but things like footy come in handy and the odd movie/series they watch.

I 'signed up' for Netflix in Turkey nearly 5 years back and depending on the exchange rate I've been paying anywhere from low £2 to £4.50 a month for the Premium Ultra HD with 5 users (all used regularly also). Again it's used at 3 addresses I 'frequent' and thankfully it hasn't been affected by that recent single house clampdown but I guess it's because it's not a UK account. Must have saved £100s in that time given it's £17.99 a month in the UK for same Ultra HD package and at current exchange rates the 79 Turkish Lira is £2.10 so around £25 a year compared to £215 UK prices!

Just shows how we get ripped off in the UK as I did similar with a subscription for Premier League. I used the the cheaper option of India rather than Australia and ended up paying summit like £7 a month to watch all 380 league games live or on catch up, was class and similar to Amazon Prime when they do footy as it also had interactive playback controls so you could skip to moments in game.

Turkey is cheap for anythibg as is Argentina / Ukraine. But anlot of providers are starting to ramp prices up to stop people doing this. Or making it a lot harder to sign up.

I think it is YouTube is upping the price in the local region to stop this. But it has the effect to locals it’s mega expensive. Due to the economy in the region.

I mainly use mine for the deliveries, prime reading free books for my kindle and photo backup. The tv bit is rarely used so I’ll not be paying the extra as I feel I’m getting a decent value for my sub with the other stuff.

Netflix quality dropped off massively to the point where it would take an age of flicking through stuff to find nothing I'd want to watch. When the single household policy came in I binned it. As others do I mainly had Amazon Prime for the free delivery with the TV as a bonus. It was generally worse than Netflix for content but occasionally has the odd exclusive or something decent appearing. There are if course lots of other freebies with this (unlimited photo storage, limited kindle and music offerings). I'd like to bin it and move away from a dependency on the free next day delivery options (although the delivery charges then make it all seem worthwhile!).

Rather than flicking through looking for stuff to watch I now check a site (there's a few) which has reviews of movies and TV shows so you can see what's new, what's popular, trending etc. and decide if there's something you'd like to watch. You can then make a choice whether you want to sign up to the service streaming these or obtain in other fashions! If it's the latter there's also sites which inform you what movies are released and available.

Netflix quality dropped off massively to the point where it would take an age of flicking through stuff to find nothing I'd want to watch. When the single household policy came in I binned it. As others do I mainly had Amazon Prime for the free delivery with the TV as a bonus. It was generally worse than Netflix for content but occasionally has the odd exclusive or something decent appearing. There are if course lots of other freebies with this (unlimited photo storage, limited kindle and music offerings). I'd like to bin it and move away from a dependency on the free next day delivery options (although the delivery charges then make it all seem worthwhile!).

Rather than flicking through looking for stuff to watch I now check a site (there's a few) which has reviews of movies and TV shows so you can see what's new, what's popular, trending etc. and decide if there's something you'd like to watch. You can then make a choice whether you want to sign up to the service streaming these or obtain in other fashions! If it's the latter there's also sites which inform you what movies are released and available.

That is what Netflix wanted. If you are sharing an account they don’t care if you don’t subscribe as chances are the account holder will stay subscribed. . They lose some viewer's but they also don’t need to provide the resources to stream the content.

Just shows how we get ripped off in the UK as I did similar with a subscription for Premier League. I used the the cheaper option of India rather than Australia and ended up paying summit like £7 a month to watch all 380 league games live or on catch up, was class and similar to Amazon Prime when they do footy as it also had interactive playback controls so you could skip to moments in game.
Which sub is this mate?

Surely will only work if all platforms go down that route.

"Netflix: Advert free" would be great counter advertisement for them.

On a couple of services, I've had adverts before stuff plays (and I usually either mute or set it going 2 minutes early while I'm still brewing a cuppa), but a program being interrupted in the middle is something I never want to go back to. I've not had that in years now.

It is pretty much Amazon saying "We know you are enjoying this show, but now we want you to watch an advert for dog food". If you are paying for the service then you have paid not to have adverts IMHO. That was one of the big advertised benefits of streaming platforms over broadcast TV.
Sky is the worst for this. Almost £100 a month and half the content is adverts. Should be either pay a sub & no ads or free content with ad's. They're all so f***ing greedy these days.

Sky is the worst for this. Almost £100 a month and half the content is adverts. Should be either pay a sub & no ads or free content with ad's. They're all so f***ing greedy these days.
Sky are insane with their un-negotiated prices. I think I was paying £35 a month for the standard entertainment package and like you said, all adverts. Their standard format is a 45 minute show in a 1 hour slot, meaning that 25% of what you watch is adverts.

When I went to drop their TV package, they started giving it to me for free. When I got an xbox, we needed the power socket and the sky box has not been turned on since.

Which sub is this mate?
I just remembered it was called Premier League Pass but it stopped a few years ago as they lost the broadcasting rights. With IPTV being as easy as it is then some people just use that now if they have access to it. This old thread below mentions people in Australia get it for £8 through Optus Sports (also get Champions and Europa League I think) and India $6 but I wouldn't know what it is now. It just shows how internationally people can get it far cheaper than we can in the UK, along with a choice of all games.

Turkey is cheap for anythibg as is Argentina / Ukraine. But anlot of providers are starting to ramp prices up to stop people doing this. Or making it a lot harder to sign up.

I think it is YouTube is upping the price in the local region to stop this. But it has the effect to locals it’s mega expensive. Due to the economy in the region.
Aye Youtube Premium was often on HotUKDeals signing up to the likes of Argentina for £1.20 a month so a year subscription is just a little more than 1 month UK subscription! It's been stopped now as they now charge the US $13 price and they're doing the same with Turkey though Ukraine was posted recently. I don't bother as my ad block/alternate youtube apps still work fine with it, even though they're clamping down on that also. I don't mind the odd ads but they seem to be longer now and more frequent so if the blockers/apps ever stopped then I just wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
Aye Youtube Premium was often on HotUKDeals signing up to the likes of Argentina for £1.20 a month so a year subscription is just a little more than 1 month UK subscription! It's been stopped now as they now charge the US $13 price and they're doing the same with Turkey though Ukraine was posted recently. I don't bother as my ad block/alternate youtube apps still work fine with it, even though they're clamping down on that also. I don't mind the odd ads but they seem to be longer now and more frequent so if the blockers/apps ever stopped then I just wouldn't bother.
I had used Turkey before for youtube premium, it was about 16 euro for the year. Went to renew a few weeks ago and Turkey was no longer working but as you say Ukraine did. It was €2.45 a month. Didnt give me an option for an annual sub.

I had used Turkey before for youtube premium, it was about 16 euro for the year. Went to renew a few weeks ago and Turkey was no longer working but as you say Ukraine did. It was €2.45 a month. Didnt give me an option for an annual sub.
If they charged summit like £5 a month then surely they'd have load more people signing up yet charging £13 puts loads off and looking at doing it other ways or not at all.

Aye by itself it may be areet for some but given there's Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon, Sky, BT, DAZN, Disney, Amazon, Spotify, Paramount, Hulu, BritBox, Discovery etc etc all to consider then it soon adds up when you get more than one service.

I wonder how much would it cost a month to have the lot?

Wonder if they will be tailored ads based on all the data they'll have from people's shopping habits and conversations in the vicinity of those daft Alexa devices.

I'll keep Prime for the free deliveries and I'll just mute the adverts like I do on all other channels. Netflix and Disney the current Mrs Dinsdale pays for as I wouldn't pay for them as, imho, they are shite.

Back