PPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know PPI has been done to death on here but now we're into the last month its worth a final mention.

I was absolutely, utterly 100%, convinced it didn't apply to me so never bothered until recently my daughter said she was claiming and she would get a referral fee if I had a go - so just to go along with that I did.

Turned out our mortgage and a business loan back in the 90's applied - both long paid off - and I scored an extremely decent payout just into five figures. And I've still to reclaim £1600 from HMRC for tax applied.

Yes I've had to pay the agents fee but considering I was expecting nothing it was a handy exercise.

So, if you haven't looked into it yet I suggest it may be to your benefit to do so while the door is still open.
I claimed some accidentally when applying for a new loan. I asked if I could pay back the interest early and the voice on the other end sort of caught. Few days later I got a letter through advising me that I hadn't previously been advised that I could pay the interest back early and they paid back all of the interest on my old loan.

fast track ppi for me - didn't expect anything got £9k - paid 20% +VAT to the PPI company plus tax - so ended up with £6.5k ish. Happy to have paid as I wouldn't have bothered doing myself

I haven't applied for the tax back mind - is that worth doing?

fast track ppi for me - didn't expect anything got £9k - paid 20% +VAT to the PPI company plus tax - so ended up with £6.5k ish. Happy to have paid as I wouldn't have bothered doing myself

I haven't applied for the tax back mind - is that worth doing?
Just north of a grand I would imagine on your figures.

It costs nowt to do it yourself and these companies do nothing other than send templated letters and ring etc on your behalf. Not having a go obviously, just some advice for others who may not have tried to claim yet.
100% this. I had various loans from about 20 years ago. I had no paperwork or details . Sent templates off and got about 2 grand back. Mrs sauce has recently done the same, but used a bloody company, and once you ask them, they are entitled to a cut, even if you do the rest. She got about 1500 but lost nearly 500 for the cut to them. That was for interest on white goods bought over the years from the company Very. Better than a kick in the teeth, but she should never have used a PPI company

I know PPI has been done to death on here but now we're into the last month its worth a final mention.

I was absolutely, utterly 100%, convinced it didn't apply to me so never bothered until recently my daughter said she was claiming and she would get a referral fee if I had a go - so just to go along with that I did.

Turned out our mortgage and a business loan back in the 90's applied - both long paid off - and I scored an extremely decent payout just into five figures. And I've still to reclaim £1600 from HMRC for tax applied.

Yes I've had to pay the agents fee but considering I was expecting nothing it was a handy exercise.

So, if you haven't looked into it yet I suggest it may be to your benefit to do so while the door is still open.
Any chance of a sub ? ;)

It's a shame you can't just enter a few details (like what you do to get your credit report) online. I had quite a bit of credit between about 1998 and 2004, but they ended up in a debt management plan that was finalised by a composition order in 2006.
I'm not sure it would be worthwhile even trying, and time is nearly up anyhoo.

Something you simply shouldn’t have to claim. The banks know exactly what they’ve done and to who and should’ve been made to compensate to their punters
It's definitely shady but there are some people who have benefited from it (vast vast vast minority mind).

You’ll have to pay tax on the interest you’ve received as part of the repayment though?

It's a shame you can't just enter a few details (like what you do to get your credit report) online. I had quite a bit of credit between about 1998 and 2004, but they ended up in a debt management plan that was finalised by a composition order in 2006.
I'm not sure it would be worthwhile even trying, and time is nearly up anyhoo.
Definitely worth applying just in case.

Do you have to have details of accounts?
Nah, but it speeds things up. As long as you've got details of previous addresses, your DOB, and any previous names, the banks should be able to find your details.

I'm fairly sure any payment would just go towards the debts that got written off.
It depends on the type of debt plan, bankruptcy or an IVA then it probably will (not always mind), anything else and it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Mate it really is. I got £4K back about 4/5 years back.
Who you use?

That would be my problem, these are old accounts that are between about 20-15 years old I cant remember even some of the credit I had.
I remember there was one of the first companies only online doing fairly cheap loans, I can’t remember who it was although they were well known at the time.

Last edited:
Who you use?
Just do it yourself, the claims management companies really do naff all for their cut. I get that it will save time/effort setting it up etc, but I'd rather spend the time doing that than have a claims management company potentially take a couple of grand.

If the banks need further information it's you they'll come to, so anything other than setting up your claim will need to be done by yourself.

Just do it yourself, the claims management companies really do naff all for their cut. I get that it will save time/effort setting it up etc, but I'd rather spend the time doing that than have a claims management company potentially take a couple of grand.

If the banks need further information it's you they'll come to, so anything other than setting up your claim will need to be done by yourself.

I haven’t got a clue what I’ve had mate, unlikely I’ll be due owt but worth a shot if someone else does all the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back