PPI

Did you have all the paperwork already, or did you just do a blanket 'do I have PPI' query to your lenders?

Anyone know the most 'reputable' company that can do the legwork with minimum fees? If I am owed something, it'll be for accounts I've LONG since deleted any records of them... probably with either NatWest or Halifax
If you know the lenders you don't need to go to any company. They'll not do anything you wouldn't anyway, they'll stick a random request in without any account numbers and see if anything happens and if there's a pay out they'll take a big chunk for nowt. Just go on Natwest and Halifax' s websites and apply yourself.

Did you have all the paperwork already, or did you just do a blanket 'do I have PPI' query to your lenders?

Anyone know the most 'reputable' company that can do the legwork with minimum fees? If I am owed something, it'll be for accounts I've LONG since deleted any records of them... probably with either NatWest or Halifax
Try Resolver, it’s free none profit.

We were missold ppi on a secured loan but the lender turned round and briefly said they did not believe that it was missold. I reckon its probably worth 15 grand if they coughed up but looks like we will just have to let it go due to the deadline.

We were missold ppi on a secured loan but the lender turned round and briefly said they did not believe that it was missold. I reckon its probably worth 15 grand if they coughed up but looks like we will just have to let it go due to the deadline.
You can go back and complain again depending on when you originally complained.

I knew I had a couple of loans with black horse about 20 years ago but had no details, I phoned up and enquired about 2 years ago but they said without the account number they couldn’t do anything.

About 6 weeks ago I filled in a form on the black horse website and today I get a letter saying I’m getting a bit of money back - result! Definitely worth trying folks.

Last edited:
I was mis sold insurance many years ago late 80s by HFC. When I settled the loan after about five years I owed a fortune and it turns out they’d got me to unknowingly sign for a second loan to pay for insurance on the first loan.
I contacted a couple of ppi firms but was told it was too long ago to pursue.
Last week I was talking to a lady who covers ppi claims for a leading bank. I told her my story, she told me to claim immediately to HSBC as there is no such thing as a claim that is too old. I did last week and I’m sitting with fingers crossed cos I reckon I am owed quite a lot, about 10k with all the years of interest
Well they’ve replied. I didn’t give them any account details etc as I didn’t have them. They have confirmed
I had ppi with them on one loan out of three. They now want to know why I think I was mis sold it. I’m away on holiday this weekend but will sort it when I’m back. This is great news cos I genuinely was mis sold it and believe I will win my claim. Btw I believe it’s 30 years since I was mis sold it.

Well they’ve replied. I didn’t give them any account details etc as I didn’t have them. They have confirmed
I had ppi with them on one loan out of three. They now want to know why I think I was mis sold it. I’m away on holiday this weekend but will sort it when I’m back. This is great news cos I genuinely was mis sold it and believe I will win my claim. Btw I believe it’s 30 years since I was mis sold it.

They're generally upheld if you had no need for the insurance (had it elsewhere etc), or were unable to claim (self-employed for some policies, pre-existing medical conditions etc).

When I worked for the FOS doing this any complaints regarding the point of sale usually had to be relatively detailed which can be hard after a long amount of time has passed. Good luck!

Tried again with The Cooperative Bank a few weeks ago, filled in an online form on their website and thought I wouldn’t get a reply. Got a letter from them today basically saying I had taken out PPI in 1996 and they have converted my enquiry into an official complaint on my behalf, will take approximately 8 weeks to process.

Received a nice surprise in the post just there regarding my PPI Complaint from The Cooperative Bank. I have been awarded £1505.04 and after tax it would be £1314.87 :eek::D Hell of a lot more than I was expecting, was thinking it would be around £500!

Received a nice surprise in the post just there regarding my PPI Complaint from The Cooperative Bank. I have been awarded £1505.04 and after tax it would be £1314.87 :eek::D Hell of a lot more than I was expecting, was thinking it would be around £500!
Why would you declare it and pay tax on it?

I didn’t, it was the bank, according to their letter 8% has to be deducted according HM Revenue & Customs regulations.

I got a payout from HSBC from when they took over HFC Bank years ago, same with me, had to pay tax on the interest as per HMRC, you get the 8% Interest for each year, and the Tax OFfice takes their cut just from the interest payed, so my 1500 plus payout became 1300 roughly, I used Resolver for it and was only expecting about 200 quid, pleased with 1300 at this time of year

I didn’t, it was the bank, according to their letter 8% has to be deducted according HM Revenue & Customs regulations.
So the bank paid the tax for you?

I remember a number of years back getting a £5.5k payout and just a remark in the letter to say that tax would be payable, but it wasn’t done automatically.

Apparently there's one last PPI mis-selling that has to be sorted out. Some institutions sold unnecessary policies for people in case they were financially impacted by having trouble with the spelling of US states with long names. It was called M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I PPI

Already getting my coat, don't worry

I had a TSB credit card when I was 18 that I used to pay for a holiday and then paid it off over a few months.

Forgot all about until I put in a few PPI claims, got £800. Was well chuffed.

That was it like, I've always been careful not to take out PPI as I did courses on it at work, which basically told you it was a complete rip off
but the commissions were huge as they never paid out.

I think at 18 I just didn't pay too much attention to the free credit card the bank sent me as to exactly what was and wasn't included on it.

Son works for Santander taking calls from people who have claims in.
they're 10 months behind schedule and haven’t even looked at most of the late claims yet

Son works for Santander taking calls from people who have claims in.
they're 10 months behind schedule and haven’t even looked at most of the late claims yet
Same here, the late flurry means the money set aside to deal with potential claims went up another £450m and the PPI claims team are in work for another year at least

Back