PPI

Nah, but it speeds things up. As long as you've got details of previous addresses, your DOB, and any previous names, the banks should be able to find your details.

It depends on the type of debt plan, bankruptcy or an IVA then it probably will (not always mind), anything else and it shouldn't.
The debt was under £5k, so I had an Administration order, then after a while a composition order via a judge.

It's a shame you can't just enter a few details (like what you do to get your credit report) online. I had quite a bit of credit between about 1998 and 2004, but they ended up in a debt management plan that was finalised by a composition order in 2006.
I'm not sure it would be worthwhile even trying, and time is nearly up anyhoo.
Might aswell try.

I haven’t got a clue what I’ve had mate, unlikely I’ll be due owt but worth a shot if someone else does all the shit.
Do a SARs request with any bank you can think of, they'll tell you if you've got PPI on any storecards/mortgages/loans etc. Then make complaints about anything that comes back with PPI on. That's all the companies do, and then they take a percentage.

Can't stress enough how little companies you go through actually do, especially if you have to provide information about your circumstances, which most likely will happen, if the bank needs to ring they'll ring you, any further letters requesting information will go to you etc.

Obviously depends on how bothered people can be do that. If I was to get £200 back and the company you went through took £60 it's not the end of the world, but I'd be gutted if I got £10k back and the company took £3k.

The debt was under £5k, so I had an Administration order, then after a while a composition order via a judge.
I'd give it a go then, shy bairns get nowt.

I was mis sold insurance many years ago late 80s by HFC. When I settled the loan after about five years I owed a fortune and it turns out they’d got me to unknowingly sign for a second loan to pay for insurance on the first loan.
I contacted a couple of ppi firms but was told it was too long ago to pursue.
Last week I was talking to a lady who covers ppi claims for a leading bank. I told her my story, she told me to claim immediately to HSBC as there is no such thing as a claim that is too old. I did last week and I’m sitting with fingers crossed cos I reckon I am owed quite a lot, about 10k with all the years of interest

You'd be amazed at the standard of letters banks receive from these claim companies. Mis-spelled names, wrong bits copy and pasted in etc. Shoddy. Do it yourself otherwise you could literally be handing over thousands for nowt.

I claimed all my bank ones a few years back.

With the deadline approaching I was racking my brains trying to think if there was any I’d missed.

I bought a sofa on finance from DFS in 2003 and can remember that it was provided by GE Money. I can also remember wondering why at the time were the payments higher than I expected. Thought maybe the sneaky salesman added PPI on. A quick google suggested that GE were taken over by Santander who have an online form for all their brands/divisions. Filled in what I could remember and a few days later got a letter confirming PPI and the account number.

They also have an online portal for raising a complaint claim so I’ve now completed that so just a case of waiting. Having looked on the PPI/money forums GE don’t have a good record for upholding old claims, but I’ve nowt to lose. Will be a bonus if this one comes off.

I claimed all my bank ones a few years back.

With the deadline approaching I was racking my brains trying to think if there was any I’d missed.

I bought a sofa on finance from DFS in 2003 and can remember that it was provided by GE Money. I can also remember wondering why at the time were the payments higher than I expected. Thought maybe the sneaky salesman added PPI on. A quick google suggested that GE were taken over by Santander who have an online form for all their brands/divisions. Filled in what I could remember and a few days later got a letter confirming PPI and the account number.

They also have an online portal for raising a complaint claim so I’ve now completed that so just a case of waiting. Having looked on the PPI/money forums GE don’t have a good record for upholding old claims, but I’ve nowt to lose. Will be a bonus if this one comes off.
I got a sofa from dfs years ago like, May be something on that.

I got a sofa from dfs years ago like, May be something on that.
Mate just use resolver if you want to raise a complaint and it's free. They'll have a list of most financial places, if you think you might have had one with a company just send it off...worst case you didn't...Best case you did and get some money and keep 100%.

Do a SARs request with any bank you can think of, they'll tell you if you've got PPI on any storecards/mortgages/loans etc. Then make complaints about anything that comes back with PPI on. That's all the companies do, and then they take a percentage.

Can't stress enough how little companies you go through actually do, especially if you have to provide information about your circumstances, which most likely will happen, if the bank needs to ring they'll ring you, any further letters requesting information will go to you etc.

Obviously depends on how bothered people can be do that. If I was to get £200 back and the company you went through took £60 it's not the end of the world, but I'd be gutted if I got £10k back and the company took £3k.

I'd give it a go then, shy bairns get nowt.
SAR request will cost money and take time, that time is almost up, it's better to call them and they will guide you how to check.

Can remember getting a loan from the bank in 1996 and bring sold PPI with it. When I contacted the bank a couple of years ago was told I wouldn't be entitled to anything as the loan was too long ago.

SAR request will cost money and take time, that time is almost up, it's better to call them and they will guide you how to check.
Aren't SARs free now? At least I know certain banks have removed the tenner charge they used to have, you can do your SARs request over the phone.

Also some banks are allowing any one who has requested information leading up to the deadline to still submit claims, although I can't say that that applies to every bank.

It's definitely easier to do things over the phone mind.

Can remember getting a loan from the bank in 1996 and bring sold PPI with it. When I contacted the bank a couple of years ago was told I wouldn't be entitled to anything as the loan was too long ago.
Yeah as mentioned that's bollocks, it's possibly just a miscommunication, complain again.

Last edited:
Aren't SARs free now? At least I know certain banks have removed the tenner charge they used to have, you can do your SARs request over the phone.

Also some banks are allowing any one who has requested information leading up to the deadline to still submit claims, although I can't say that that applies to every bank.

It's definitely easier to do things over the phone mind.

Yeah as mentioned that's bollocks, it's possibly just a miscommunication, complain again.
Could be right mate been a while since I was in that line of work. I did some claims for family/friends for free. Some got over ten grand and I didn't even get a pint as thanks.
These claims companies are pocketing millions for nout.

My BiL has just dealt with a bloke who owns a PPI claims company and he has just bought a £250k Lamborghini Urus with a £50k deposit. Certainly pays well...

The banks were really reluctant to lend to him because of his line of work and tried to wriggle out by asking what he’ll do when the PPI is up, he pointed out his company was ‘xcxcxcx Recruitment’ so they had to back down and lend to him.

I know PPI has been done to death on here but now we're into the last month its worth a final mention.

I was absolutely, utterly 100%, convinced it didn't apply to me so never bothered until recently my daughter said she was claiming and she would get a referral fee if I had a go - so just to go along with that I did.

Turned out our mortgage and a business loan back in the 90's applied - both long paid off - and I scored an extremely decent payout just into five figures. And I've still to reclaim £1600 from HMRC for tax applied.

Yes I've had to pay the agents fee but considering I was expecting nothing it was a handy exercise.

So, if you haven't looked into it yet I suggest it may be to your benefit to do so while the door is still open.
Did you have all the paperwork already, or did you just do a blanket 'do I have PPI' query to your lenders?

Anyone know the most 'reputable' company that can do the legwork with minimum fees? If I am owed something, it'll be for accounts I've LONG since deleted any records of them... probably with either NatWest or Halifax

Back