PP - It's a very competitive League

Status
Not open for further replies.

How? Do you not believe managers and players have more incentive to beat Sunderland than they do Burton or Northampton?

What page of the excuse book are you on now? Knee one in that League got 30k a week had/has our Fookin resources...
Knee wonder the negativity seeps down....

No wonder hes bombed McGeady out. McGeady stated we shouldnt be happy with draws against Accrington. Parkinson would snap your hand off for a point

I think atm the abuse of pp on here is a bit mental.
JR never got anywhere near as much as this with far worse performances.
Before the pompey game we had had a good start. The crewe match showed nice triangle passing and I was really convinced that we were looking well organised and played good football, as did most supporters, in a side really just let down by strikers unable to take chances.
One poor performance against pompey (not as bad as v posh last season under JR), and then a really poor first half v Rochdale, being kind to PP, perhaps brought about by enforced defensive changes, but a much improved second half , where really, we should have scored and won, and its being abusive to him.

I'm far from happy. Hes either bought horrendously upfront or someone bought badly for him, and I'm wanting him (like I was JR) to play our youth, as we are crying out for pace.
I just think people are jumping the gun a bit and just hate him as they never wanted him in the first place, and are desperate to be proven right.

The first games before pompey were, imo, the most consistent since we got relegated. We looked more organised than anything under JR and had a defensive strength to our side. I'm not going to flap prematurely after 1.5 poor games, where we had changed sides due to red cards and injuries.

We will know a lot more after the next few games , where we play the stronger sides in this league in Ipswich, Fleetwood donnie and Lincoln, but if we can get out composure back, I think we will be alright.

I'm not throwing in the towel and my toys out of the pram after 1.5 poor games this season

Last edited:
How? Do you not believe managers and players have more incentive to beat Sunderland than they do Burton or Northampton?
It’s a cup final every time. Opposing managers will use this psychology to get an extra 10%. I think PP is just careful not to add fuel to the fire in pre-match interviews.

Pretty much every league in the world is very competitive man, its a pointless, cowardly thing to be coming out with. The national league is highly competitive, often teams come up from there and do canny in league two, he'd be saying the same if we were there. Fact is, regardless of how competitive the league is, a club this size with this budget should be winning it. If he thinks playing up how hard it is means he'll get an easier ride, hes wrong. His target is to get us promotion. Either get us looking likely to do it, actually up in the top two, quite swiftly or fuck off and let someone else try. I hope he's a hell of a lot now demanding behind the scenes than he sounds in every interview.

dead beat, dead pan, and dead loss,is the way i think of him and his sidekick

It is a very competitive though. I understand the frustration over some comments he's made this week but there's no need to pick over every single statement he makes.

It’s a really open and competitive league.
Around 8 teams that could go up automatically and then the rest. Unfortunately from what I have seen so far it’s going to be a long tough season.
Staying up now is my priority.
Don’t think we have recruited particularly well, injuries will hit us hard.
He’s not cut out for managing this football club. You don’t scrape a point at Rochdale then say it’s a good point when you’re managing Sunderland in the third tier FFS.

As has been said, the bloke is a loser, he needs peddled.

....and that is the real issue mate expectation.

Put yourself in his shoes. His comments will be scrutinised by supporters, teams and managers everywhere, and he has to tread a very fine diplomatic line. I'm sure he'd love to tell the media what he really thinks about some of the teams at this level but his words would be pinned to the changing room walls of our opponents, no team talk necessary.

Let's hold fire until we see our response to Tuesday, later today.
Well hopefully it's better than our response after the Portsmouth game.

It’s a cup final every time. Opposing managers will use this psychology to get an extra 10%. I think PP is just careful not to add fuel to the fire in pre-match interviews.

Unfortunately that goes out the window with no Supporters at the game.
You are just the same as every other club and plans will be drawn up irrespective of who you are.

I think there are some on here who simply don’t realise that as long as this club is in the 3rd tier then there’s always going to be discontent and dissatisfaction.
Especially when we’re not even in the top 2 or 3 places in that tier instead masquerading down at 6th, 7th or 8th, it simply isn’t good enough and shouldn’t be accepted.
I always give managers time and a fair crack I think it’s only fair, but to have us as a safety first team lacking flair, creativity, pace and mobility in this league against the mighty Rochdale’s Accrington’s and Fleetwood’s is an absolute disgrace.

Before the pompey game we had had a good start. The crewe match showed nice triangle passing and I was really convinced that we were looking well organised and played good football, as did most supporters, in a side really just let down by strikers unable to take chances.
One poor performance against pompey (not as bad as v posh last season under JR), and then a really poor first half v Rochdale, being kind to PP, perhaps brought about by enforced defensive changes, but a much improved second half , where really, we should have scored and won, and its being abusive to him.

I'm far from happy. Hes either bought horrendously upfront or someone bought badly for him, and I'm wanting him (like I was JR) to play our youth, as we are crying out for pace.
I just think people are jumping the gun a bit and just hate him as they never wanted him in the first place, and are desperate to be proven right.

The first games before pompey were, imo, the most consistent since we got relegated. We looked more organised than anything under JR and had a defensive strength to our side. I'm not going to flap prematurely after 1.5 poor games, where we had changed sides due to red cards and injuries.

We will know a lot more after the next few games , where we play the stronger sides in this league in Ipswich, Fleetwood donnie and Lincoln, but if we can get out composure back, I think we will be alright.

I'm not throwing in the towel and my toys out of the pram after 1.5 poor games this season
The problem is less that it confirms the opinions of those who didn't want him, but that the last couple of games confirms the conclusions we came to about him during the disastrous run last season, that he's dour and unimaginative and happy not to win if it gives us a chance not to lose.

At the beginning of this season it looked like he might have got them into a decent place, it wasn't brilliant but it was extremely solid and we were getting results, but the last two games just looks so much like the bad run before last Christmas and the bad run before the season stopped that it's easy to see why those of us who wanted Parkinson gone after Burton last year think that the good runs are the exception and this is the norm.

I have no confidence whatsoever in his ability to beat the better teams consistently, and the style of football is fine when we win but it's bloody awful when we don't, which under Parkinson is the large majority of the time. Comments like these just exacerbate that because they sound like him getting an excuse in early for a crap performance against Gillingham today. 1-1 and then he can say "I said it was going to be a tough game." As with everything with Sunderland under Donald, it's simply not good enough.

The problem is less that it confirms the opinions of those who didn't want him, but that the last couple of games confirms the conclusions we came to about him during the disastrous run last season, that he's dour and unimaginative and happy not to win if it gives us a chance not to lose.

At the beginning of this season it looked like he might have got them into a decent place, it wasn't brilliant but it was extremely solid and we were getting results, but the last two games just looks so much like the bad run before last Christmas and the bad run before the season stopped that it's easy to see why those of us who wanted Parkinson gone after Burton last year think that the good runs are the exception and this is the norm.

I have no confidence whatsoever in his ability to beat the better teams consistently, and the style of football is fine when we win but it's bloody awful when we don't, which under Parkinson is the large majority of the time. Comments like these just exacerbate that because they sound like him getting an excuse in early for a crap performance against Gillingham today. 1-1 and then he can say "I said it was going to be a tough game." As with everything with Sunderland under Donald, it's simply not good enough.
I understand where you're coming from in the majority of this. The run where he came in , for me this actually made me more confident in him.
For years we survived in the Prem on a new manager bounce , winning not because of how good a new manager was , just with the lift it gave the players who then succumbed to mediocrity.

With PP it was different. He came in and instead of a lift , his appointment gave the whole place a negative vibe. A poor set of results ensued , which PP turned around with a fairly confident organised manner in how to approach games.
The end of the season , with that Bristol rovers game being as bad as anything I have ever seen at safc , had me massively concerned as has the last 2 games (though really, 2nd half v Rochdale wasn't that bad).
He's not a very likable character, reminding me of moyes in his ability to bring the mood down, but I'm still reasonably confident in how he has got the team to play, and hopeful.

I think the problem is that for us, rightly, only top 2 is acceptable. In the year that PP has been here we have never threatened the top 2 and there is nothing to suggest that that will change. The salary cap will utterly cripple us next year with the likes of Hume, Willis etc. out of contract. And yet all we get is the negative cautious football that failed last year and will fail again this year. A secondary problem which Parkinson is exacerbating is that we have been for the duration of Donald's we have been constantly losing young talent. The club and Parkinson said that this needed to be addressed and creating a pathway for youth was part of that effort. It is clear from both his actions and words this week that Parkinson has no intention of doing that and I would guess we will lose the likes of Diamond because of his lack of interest in youth. A real contradiction in what he is doing is that the youth we have can offer the pace that he has recognised is missing.

Normally I would agree with your point but, with the salary cap really biting next year, now is not the time for patience. There are managers who could make our players believe they were promotion material but it won't happen with Parkinson. He wasn't the right man for the job when he was appointed (we replaced one overly cautious manager with another, he's not the right man now and he won't be the right man next year as we start our 4th year in the 3rd Division (which is an utterly shameful situation for our club).
It’s a really open and competitive league.
Around 8 teams that could go up automatically and then the rest. Unfortunately from what I have seen so far it’s going to be a long tough season.
Staying up now is my priority.
Don’t think we have recruited particularly well, injuries will hit us hard.

....and that is the real issue mate expectation.
This is the 3rd year we've been down here and from what I have seen it is the weakest it has been in that time. Hull City are rubbish and yet they are second. It is really poor this year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that goes out the window with no Supporters at the game.
You are just the same as every other club and plans will be drawn up irrespective of who you are.
Sure, the no supporters is a dynamic that we are all adapting to.

I think with supporters at the game PP’s position would be very precarious judging by the mood on here. We are seeing results throughout the country that would not have happened with the boost (or anxiety) a fan base brings.

As PP does not follow the local Radio or these message boards he is somewhat immune to that criticism. Whilst he is on the periphery of the top 6, I cannot see the directors panicking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back