Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
What are you moving onto next? Rinse and repeat or something new?
Couple of weeks deloading at rpe 5 and then 6 then into a volume block - usually up the reps to 8-12 for main lifts and increase rpe over the 6 weeks. I'm enjoying the repetition after years of bouncing about and no progress so sticking with it. The numbers keep going up and I'm enjoying it so no need to change things mate.

What a doylum I am, was bang on the Dorian Yates/Mike mentzer heavy duty training pre Covid. Then Covid hit, gyms shut and I became a fat slob.

Decided to get my arse into gear again and start training again, went to the gym this morning after a few years off and started my heavy duty routine again (obviously with lighter weights)

Brutal brutal workout, not good for my first one back, came home and spewed :lol:

Think I might do the 5x5 programme to get some timber off/body used to it again before jumping back onto that.
Edit: anyone use the JD at shiremoor? Was canny busy at 8am like

Last edited:
Haven’t posted for a while but it’s coming up to a year next month that I’ve been training 3 times a week and still loving it.

I’ve managed to get out of the mindset of chasing numbers too much in the big lifts which I felt was inevitably going to cause me injury if I kept going on like I was.

Change my routine every 12 weeks so get good consistency in that time and can still focus on progressive overload without worrying about deadlift pbs and what have you.

Stayed away from the compound lifts for the last few blocks while I focussed on building up core strength but feel ready to get going with them again, will be happy if I get back to where I was with them or get pb’s but not gonna let it dominate my training.

Dropped a stone in the last year but keep bouncing off 200lbs and currently back up to about 205lbs, find it hard to lose weight and build muscle mass at the same time but still feel I should be about 190lbs and carrying too much body fat.

Haven’t posted for a while but it’s coming up to a year next month that I’ve been training 3 times a week and still loving it.

I’ve managed to get out of the mindset of chasing numbers too much in the big lifts which I felt was inevitably going to cause me injury if I kept going on like I was.

Change my routine every 12 weeks so get good consistency in that time and can still focus on progressive overload without worrying about deadlift pbs and what have you.

Stayed away from the compound lifts for the last few blocks while I focussed on building up core strength but feel ready to get going with them again, will be happy if I get back to where I was with them or get pb’s but not gonna let it dominate my training.

Dropped a stone in the last year but keep bouncing off 200lbs and currently back up to about 205lbs, find it hard to lose weight and build muscle mass at the same time but still feel I should be about 190lbs and carrying too much body fat.
That’s my biggest problem - shifting the fat while maintaining the muscle and strength. I’ve got a couple of photos from last year and now and although my arms, chest and shoulders look bigger unfortunately so does my stomach :lol:

Whenever I drop my calories (even maintaining protein intake) I seem to lose strength so not keen to do that.

Any advice welcome!

That’s my biggest problem - shifting the fat while maintaining the muscle and strength. I’ve got a couple of photos from last year and now and although my arms, chest and shoulders look bigger unfortunately so does my stomach :lol:

Whenever I drop my calories (even maintaining protein intake) I seem to lose strength so not keen to do that.

Any advice welcome!
An absolute shit load of protein all day every day. I find it hard to get as much as I should be getting in without putting weight on. I’m active as owt now, a million times more active than I was a year ago, I walk just about every day on top of training and try to get our running when I can too, but still can’t break below 200lbs.

Think I need to give up the drink altogether.
Brekky is 20g protein yogurt with granola, fruit and honey, a 20g protein shake with 3g creatine, about 50g protein

Dinner is where i fall down as if i dont meal prep i end up over the cafe over the road and getting the special, usually have a grenade bar with it. Would say on average about 50-60g protein.

Team usually me or the wife cook something from fresh, last night i made chicken and prawn egg fried rice, was enough left for both of our dinners today and would say easily 70g protein in.

So not too far away on a good day from the recommended for my weight (200g protein target), its just doing this constantly day in day out that is the hard part.

Last edited:
Sign of a good workout that man well done :lol:
Serious DOMS a few days later, could move my arms.
well back into it now. Want to return to the Mike mentzer training after 5/6 weeks or so.

Just doing a 5x5 routine atm to get my body reacquainted with moving weight.

JD at shiremoor is f***ing chocker 24/7 mind. Got there at 5:45 this morning and everything was full, both deadlift sections taken, all squat racks taken, leg press taken, hardly any benches.

Thinking about changing gyms soon as I can only train at that time on a morning or after work which will be equally as bad.

Might try Morpeth leisure centre at 6:20 when it opens, not the best but will be able to get a good workout in it still.

An absolute shit load of protein all day every day. I find it hard to get as much as I should be getting in without putting weight on. I’m active as owt now, a million times more active than I was a year ago, I walk just about every day on top of training and try to get our running when I can too, but still can’t break below 200lbs.

Think I need to give up the drink altogether.
Brekky is 20g protein yogurt with granola, fruit and honey, a 20g protein shake with 3g creatine, about 50g protein

Dinner is where i fall down as if i dont meal prep i end up over the cafe over the road and getting the special, usually have a grenade bar with it. Would say on average about 50-60g protein.

Team usually me or the wife cook something from fresh, last night i made chicken and prawn egg fried rice, was enough left for both of our dinners today and would say easily 70g protein in.

So not too far away on a good day from the recommended for my weight (200g protein target), its just doing this constantly day in day out that is the hard part.
Yeah I’m hitting my protein target but it’s taking me over on my calories. Aiming for around 2,000 calories a day and hitting about 2,200.

Serious DOMS a few days later, could move my arms.
well back into it now. Want to return to the Mike mentzer training after 5/6 weeks or so.

Just doing a 5x5 routine atm to get my body reacquainted with moving weight.

JD at shiremoor is f***ing chocker 24/7 mind. Got there at 5:45 this morning and everything was full, both deadlift sections taken, all squat racks taken, leg press taken, hardly any benches.

Thinking about changing gyms soon as I can only train at that time on a morning or after work which will be equally as bad.

Might try Morpeth leisure centre at 6:20 when it opens, not the best but will be able to get a good workout in it still.
What about Concordia in Cramlington? I'm assuming your around this area if near Shiremoor and Morpeth

I'm not at a commercial gym atm joined one of those fitness Cross fit clubs so can keep active while working then have my free weights in house.

What about Concordia in Cramlington? I'm assuming your around this area if near Shiremoor and Morpeth

I'm not at a commercial gym atm joined one of those fitness Cross fit clubs so can keep active while working then have my free weights in house.
Never thought about that tbh. I know it’s quite an old leisure centre so didn’t know if the gym would be a good standard.

Thought about that Vision gym in cramlington as that looks belter, but apparently chocker all the time also.

Walked out of jd shiremoor after 5 minutes this morning at 6am. Ludicrously busy. Literally couldn’t get on anything and when stuff came free people were waiting to pounce.

Honestly it’s a joke I’m changing gyms

Walked out of jd shiremoor after 5 minutes this morning at 6am. Ludicrously busy. Literally couldn’t get on anything and when stuff came free people were waiting to pounce.

Honestly it’s a joke I’m changing gyms
No idea why people go to them gyms, my idea of hell. I get annoyed if there’s more than 3 people in mine.

I’ve been in the one you’re on about during a survey (doing solar pv design for it) and it was mad busy, that was in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Start doing a lot more chain work on flat bench takes it out of you but feel as strong as an ox after doing it up to 110kg then whatever chains are 30kg ish for five. Not following a program as such benching twice a week again now turn 43 in August can see this been one of my last big pushes at a big weight. Sept-xmas cut down on the booze the lot and have a proper go at 150kg plus

Ordered myself 2 Ativafit adjustable dumbbells today. Got frustrated going to gym and it's too busy/broken equipment. My shoulder injury means I cannot get big again so just looking to get in shape with a little muscle tone.

Looking forward to working out home dumbbell sessions

Currently on a more conditioning based split, Fitness has gone through the roof, probably dropped a little size but no massive deficit in lifts.

Did the Hyrox workout on Monday, tough work, harder than I thought but got a decent time, Looking forward to doing it properly at the London event.

Currently on a more conditioning based split, Fitness has gone through the roof, probably dropped a little size but no massive deficit in lifts.

Did the Hyrox workout on Monday, tough work, harder than I thought but got a decent time, Looking forward to doing it properly at the London event.
What's the split you're doing mate?

What's the split you're doing mate?
3 x strength workouts a week (Push, Pull, Legs)

3 x Conditioning workouts a week which is generally a combination of EMOS, Running Clock etc and doing intervals i.e. last night was Accumulate 6000M on the Bike, Every 1000M off for 25 Kettlebell Swings, Accumulate 3000M SKI Erg, off every 500M for 12 clean and press, 16 Prowler Lengths with 100KG, Every 2 lengths off for 5 Chinups

Conditioning workouts change all the time like, that was just an example.

The HYROX was an 8KM run split into 1KMs and in between each run you complete things like Ski Distance, Row Distance, Sandbag Walks, Farmers Carries etc.

Back