Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Fantastic thread this. Anyone good any decent training programmes for volume and for strength?
Currently doing both but think I'd improve more going for one as a block over a number of weeks and then swapping.

Fantastic thread this. Anyone good any decent training programmes for volume and for strength?
Currently doing both but think I'd improve more going for one as a block over a number of weeks and then swapping.
What are you doing at the moment?

I would start with Stronglifts 5x5 and then when you feel like you've progressed a lot but want to vary things move onto Ivysaud Intermediate

Lad coaching me has me swapping between. I do 5 weeks of volume and then onto 6 weeks of strength.
Perhaps I've missed it, but what would you recommend for rotator cuff sets? - they're my issue too. Cheers in advance.

This guy is good.

Just changed my push and pull routines up to keep thing fresh. Still loving it, I’ve gone from a fat piece of shit to actually having some shape again.

Push day

Machine leg press 8-12 reps 3-4 sets
Superset with
Leg extension, eccentric, 8 reps 3-4 sets

Hammer strength chest press

Seated dumbbell shoulder press 8-12 reps
Pec dec 8-12 reps

Tricep v bar extension (cable machine) 8-12 reps

If time:

Dumbbell front and side raises 8-12 reps

Pull day

Pull ups 3xbw 3 sets

Leg curls 12 reps 3 sets, time under tension last set, pause at top.

Lat pull downs underhand 12 reps 3 sets
Superset with
Single hand cable pulls 8 each hand 3 sets

Bicep bar curls heavy 8 reps 3 sets
Superset With
Barbell Hammer curls lighter more explosive 15 reps3 sets

Dumbbell shrugs 10 reps 3 sets

Rope face pulls 12 reps3 sets

week 2 of a strength block now and progress is coming. Sets of 5 this time rather than 3s, all RPE 7.
Squat 65kg
Bench 60kg
Push 47.5kg
Deadlifts on Sunday probably, aiming for 115kg.
Again, probably not much compared to others but it's huge progress from where I was and I'm loving it.

week 2 of a strength block now and progress is coming. Sets of 5 this time rather than 3s, all RPE 7.
Squat 65kg
Bench 60kg
Push 47.5kg
Deadlifts on Sunday probably, aiming for 115kg.
Again, probably not much compared to others but it's huge progress from where I was and I'm loving it.
What other people are doing is irrelevant, there’s 8 billion people in the world, always someone stronger or weaker than you not for away, it doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing one bit.

Consistency
intensity
Progressive overload

That’s the 3 things to keep focussed on. There’s no rush at all. It’s taken me 6 months to get from where I was to where I am now and I am in not hurry, you make mistakes when you hurry, I’m not doing it for anyone else but me so work to my own timescales. Time in the gym is my time, the only time I get for just me, finally realising that it’s not a chore to work out has been a godsend for me.

Well done mate. A little bit more each week and you’ll reach your goals no problem.

Last edited:
What other people are doing is irrelevant, there’s 8 billion people in the world, always someone stronger or weaker than you not for away, it doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing one bit.

Consistency
intensity
Progressive overload

That’s the 3 things to keep focussed on. There’s no rush at all. It’s taken me 6 months to get from where I was to where I am now and I am in not hurry, you make mistakes when you hurry, I’m not doing it for anyone else but me so work to my own timescales. Time in the gym is my time, the only time I get for just me, finally realising that it’s not a chore to work out has been a godsend for me.

Well done mate. A little bit more each week and you’ll reach your goals no problem.
That’s a good post Joe, I agree with you.

My main aim at the gym is to maintain some strength as I head into my 50s. I want to avoid injury and I like to have an hour to myself.

The only problem with progressive overload is that you’ll eventually hit a plateau and then a natural limit to your strength level.

At that point you need some variation and possibly alter your targets. I found it liberating when I stopped trying to lift heavy weights all of the time and I now vary sets and rep ranges. Plus I have added remedial and conditioning work.

But like you said, it’s better not to compare yourself to others.

Last edited:
Progressive overload isn’t always addition of weight, it’s addition of reps. Increase reps til weight gets easy, then increase weight. If you aren’t looking to increase strength you don’t need to worry about progressive overload, as you say depends on your goals. But you won’t get stronger without it.

Consistency
intensity
Progressive overload

Spot on mate, good advice

Progressive overload isn’t always addition of weight, it’s addition of reps. Increase reps til weight gets easy, then increase weight. If you aren’t looking to increase strength you don’t need to worry about progressive overload, as you say depends on your goals. But you won’t get stronger without it.
True, but a lot of people are obsessed by big(ger) numbers, especially when they start. Not many people have the humility to boast that they can do 12 reps at 50kg with 60 seconds rest. They tend to tell the internet that they can ‘lift 100kg’.

Haven't been on here for a while how is everyone training

Rubbish, didnt do anything hardly between covid and January apart from 5 a side.

Went back to the gym because I injured myself planing football and had piled on the weight at Christmas.

Was about 20pc down (maybe even 30 to 40 in some areas) in every single muscle group. Lifting stamina had gone completely. Between covid and January I was 2 stone heavier, but it was all fat, probably more than two stone of fat as well if you factor in the muscle loss. The two stone was just the net gain on the scales.

Getting to the gym now on average 4 days a week not and stamina is building back up but lifting amount is still down.

Found a good commando boxing class I like which is meant to burn 800 calories a session to complement the weight lifting and shift fat. I get concerned I will lose speed if I only do weights

Keep on trying to work out how to build a gym session that focuses on lean muscle and fast twitching fibres instead of mass but I never find the time to research.

Last edited:
Still really enjoying mine, still 3 days a week at 6am and if I don’t make it to a session I don’t feel right at all. Making decent progress although still off the compound lifts trying to strengthen core and protect my back. Got to be careful at my age!

I’m down to 200lbs too, drinking less and eating better, haven’t been that light for over 2.5 years.

My running is not going so well, right calf keeps pulling all the time, so walking a fair bit instead. Got down to marsden beach at 7am on Sunday it was fantastic, even did a little video.

As good as I've ever been, finally got a coach and finally committed to a programme. I'm on holiday for a week 1-8th April then I'm going to knock the drink on the head for 6 months because I have a jiu-jitsu tournament at the end of that and I'd love to be in better shape than I've ever been for it. That, and squatting 100kg by the time I'm 40 (November) are my 2 goals this year - maybe add in Deadlifting 150kg as well. Currently squat 77.5 for 3 and Deadlifting 125 for 5. Coach reckons it's do-able.
Still really enjoying mine, still 3 days a week at 6am and if I don’t make it to a session I don’t feel right at all. Making decent progress although still off the compound lifts trying to strengthen core and protect my back. Got to be careful at my age!

I’m down to 200lbs too, drinking less and eating better, haven’t been that light for over 2.5 years.

My running is not going so well, right calf keeps pulling all the time, so walking a fair bit instead. Got down to marsden beach at 7am on Sunday it was fantastic, even did a little video.
I've got a great mobility/strengthening thing I can send you for running if you want it. I used to have ankle/hip problems all the time until I did it and I used it in the lead up to running an ultra - didn't have one issue throughout the whole training or race.

Last edited:

Back