Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Do people recommend wrist wraps when doing bench press or any other heavy (ish) lifting

I fucked my left wrist last year and feel it’s weak as piss and struggle a bit when doing chest exercises.

Do they give much support and are they worth it?

Do people recommend wrist wraps when doing bench press or any other heavy (ish) lifting

I fucked my left wrist last year and feel it’s weak as piss and struggle a bit when doing chest exercises.

I use them for bench yeah I like them.

I got the tuff wraps, would recommend.

Don’t use them for bench but I do for deadlifts. They’re great at the heavier weights.

All gone to pot for me. Still training consistently but strength right down. I think with the combination of three children under five, moving into a renovation project at the end of November and starting an MBA at work, I'm getting into the gym and there's nowt left. But I'm still getting in - hoping it means I won't be as far backwards as I may have been when I get the energy back. Might just be a blip too, but one that's lasted about six weeks now! Away on holiday this week so will see what next week brings.

All gone to pot for me. Still training consistently but strength right down. I think with the combination of three children under five, moving into a renovation project at the end of November and starting an MBA at work, I'm getting into the gym and there's nowt left. But I'm still getting in - hoping it means I won't be as far backwards as I may have been when I get the energy back. Might just be a blip too, but one that's lasted about six weeks now! Away on holiday this week so will see what next week brings.
How is your diet?

Have you had a blood test? Could be reduced testosterone levels or iron levels. Can tell a lot from a blood test, go and see your doc.

Sorry to hear it man, maybe worth having a break for a week mentally at least so yr not beating yrself up? Or do something different for a bit like a higher volume-lower weight 6 week block rather than pushing for heavier weights? I hear you though, that's a lot on yr plate. I'd probably look to focus on 2 quality sessions, get nutrition on point and sleeping well and the energy will come back. Fingers crossed for you.

To reply to the last couple of posts:

Diet has been off - we haven't had a kitchen for five weeks and it will be that again before we have one I imagine. Living with an air fryer and microwave at the moment.

Sleep been off too, 60-70 hour weeks for a couple of months of year end, and then switched into house mode and MBA as soon as that was done with.

To be honest, it's probably not all that bad - I feel as if I'm running at about 70% - and that's a good 50% better than I was ten years ago, but it's comparing myself to where I was at in the summer of '21 that's painful. Need to keep reminding myself that comparison is the thief of joy, and I am where I am!

I know what I need to do - it's simple, but it's not easy. I've weighed myself this morning and I'm looking to lose 30lbs by the beginning of November. Gonna be a slog but it will be worth it.

And I'd already thought about dropping the weight and upping the reps, think I might do 4 weeks - 3 sets of 10 (week 1), 11 (week 2), 12 and 15 across the four, or 3 sets of ten with a big pause on the first rep, and make that pause progressively longer each week. Mix it up a bit, as suggested.

Use them for bench press, overhead press and squats.

They’re not gonna necessarily add kilos to your lifts but they keep your wrists in a healthy position.

As well as wraps you could also try grips, making the bar fatter maybe easier on the wrist.

6 Best Grips For Barbell and Dumbbell in 2023

Amazon.co.uk : barbell grips

Personally I only train with dumbells now for functional strength, mid to late forties and starting to get niggling attacks of nerve pain, so gave powertec bench away, have to bite the bullet, be more sensible and train lighter with more reps and recovery. Also the bench was taking up a spare room in the house and I was only using it for flat bench mainly, for other exercises I didn't need it.
Some 18" dumbell bars with a load of 5KG slimline plates are serving me well. Can fit 60KG on each with still a litle room for biscuits on the ends. Can use a neutral grip sideways palm for exercises so less wrist stress. Harder to lift 2 dumbells the same total load as a barbell weight, since each hand has to stabilise and use the weight itself, instead of your dominant arm taking the lead on barbells.

I was showing off to my youth how low I could squat and I've pinged something in my hip (daft owld bastard I know, I didn't even have a load on my back). I'm going to have two weeks off squat movements, but continue with my deadlifts as long as they don't aggravate this injury. It's really annoying when something knocks your plan

I have made some progress in this hip injury malarkey. I was dicking around with google, trying 'screen your hip injury' etc, the instagram logarithms must have been listening and have directed me to the squat_university insta page (which I already follow) and one where he uses a banded joint mobilisation for hips.
It has worked wonders, I was performing full range squats afterwards (without any load) with minimal pain! I am going to continue with these for the week, no loaded squats, and reassess at the weekend
Absolutely buzzing, I'm gonna message Dr Aaron and thank him!

I have made some progress in this hip injury malarkey. I was dicking around with google, trying 'screen your hip injury' etc, the instagram logarithms must have been listening and have directed me to the squat_university insta page (which I already follow) and one where he uses a banded joint mobilisation for hips.
It has worked wonders, I was performing full range squats afterwards (without any load) with minimal pain! I am going to continue with these for the week, no loaded squats, and reassess at the weekend
Absolutely buzzing, I'm gonna message Dr Aaron and thank him!
Brilliant that mate. Still improving?

Coming to the end of a strength block and a whole new set of PBs hit, really chuffed. I know it's always like this but I really wish I'd started proper strength training earlier!
Squat 80kg
Deadlft 135kg
Push press 55kg
Bench 67.5kg

Delighted with how it's gone from where I started. Squat is definitely my weak point but it's night and day from when I started. I'm 40 in Nov and aim is to Squat 100 by then. If I could Deadlift 150 by then too I'd be over the moon.

Brilliant that mate. Still improving?

Coming to the end of a strength block and a whole new set of PBs hit, really chuffed. I know it's always like this but I really wish I'd started proper strength training earlier!
Squat 80kg
Deadlft 135kg
Push press 55kg
Bench 67.5kg

Delighted with how it's gone from where I started. Squat is definitely my weak point but it's night and day from when I started. I'm 40 in Nov and aim is to Squat 100 by then. If I could Deadlift 150 by then too I'd be over the moon.
I haven’t really tested my hip, it still gets niggly when I’m just moving around at work and home so I might have to wait a bit longer. I’ve substituted front squats for some single leg stuff with light weights, just to try and keep the movement pattern alive
And those are good numbers, you’ll get that 100 squat soon

Wraps help me when using thinner bars for bench/shoulder press like.

Bench and squat are coming on nicely but I’m stuck at 220kg on deadlift which is starting to piss me off as I just can’t get over it. Probably wait until September and try and bulk up a bit through the winter.

Last edited:
Ended a strength block today, really chuffed with the progress. Been eating in a surplus too, trying to put on a bit of weight, probably try and cut down some fat soon though. Currently at:
Squat 85 for 1
Bench 70 for 3
Push press 60 for 2
Deadlift 140 for 2

Sessions this week have been at RPE 10, never had as tough a time in the gym :)

Ended a strength block today, really chuffed with the progress. Been eating in a surplus too, trying to put on a bit of weight, probably try and cut down some fat soon though. Currently at:
Squat 85 for 1
Bench 70 for 3
Push press 60 for 2
Deadlift 140 for 2

Sessions this week have been at RPE 10, never had as tough a time in the gym :)

Nice work fella.

I've just finished a more bodybuilding style block. 40% of my 1 rep max for squat and bench, and 40kg for Romanian deadlifts (I hate RDLs!). Started with three sets of ten reps, worked up to three sets of 15. Supersetted the bench with rear delt flys and the RDLs with single arm rows.

Maximum rest was 2 minutes.

It's not optimal but it's quick (in and out 20 minutes max), it's been very intense and most of all, I've quite enjoyed it.

Will start again on Sunday, adding 2.5kg to each exercise.

Nice work fella.

I've just finished a more bodybuilding style block. 40% of my 1 rep max for squat and bench, and 40kg for Romanian deadlifts (I hate RDLs!). Started with three sets of ten reps, worked up to three sets of 15. Supersetted the bench with rear delt flys and the RDLs with single arm rows.

Maximum rest was 2 minutes.

It's not optimal but it's quick (in and out 20 minutes max), it's been very intense and most of all, I've quite enjoyed it.

Will start again on Sunday, adding 2.5kg to each exercise.
That sounds pretty good man, nice mixture of movements. And aye thanks, I'm pleased with my progress.

Back