Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

That’s my biggest problem - shifting the fat while maintaining the muscle and strength. I’ve got a couple of photos from last year and now and although my arms, chest and shoulders look bigger unfortunately so does my stomach :lol:

Whenever I drop my calories (even maintaining protein intake) I seem to lose strength so not keen to do that.

Any advice welcome!
Logon or register to see this image

That’s my biggest problem - shifting the fat while maintaining the muscle and strength. I’ve got a couple of photos from last year and now and although my arms, chest and shoulders look bigger unfortunately so does my stomach :lol:

Whenever I drop my calories (even maintaining protein intake) I seem to lose strength so not keen to do that.

Any advice welcome!
Just accept that's going to happen is probably the best advice for that, focus on 1 thing at a time for at least 2 months so if fat loss is your goal just keep training exactly as you have with sets and reps, drop calories and then towards the end of the 2 months drop a few sets but try to maintain your intensity during reps.

Then review again for the next 2 months what your goal will be.

Trained Monday but had to modify and miss anything to do with legs, had to miss Wednesday as it’s a WOD session and very intense.

Back tomorrow, leg still canny fucked so will have to modify again.

Hate this like, holding me back and been making good progress lately.

Trained Monday but had to modify and miss anything to do with legs, had to miss Wednesday as it’s a WOD session and very intense.

Back tomorrow, leg still canny fucked so will have to modify again.

Hate this like, holding me back and been making good progress lately.
It’s shite marra. I pulled my left rhomboid a few weeks ago and it’s the most frustrating thing in the world, all you wanna do is train properly.

Back on the Mike Mentzer/Dorian Yates HIT lifting programme.
Lifting 3 times a week working each muscle group once to absolute failure then past failure with rest pause and assisted reps, always finish on cables so I can self assist to blitz the negative part of the rep.

It’s mad tbh as I always used to train 5/6 times a week but trusting the process. One thing I will say is my muscles are still battered 2/3 days afterwards so would definitely be overtraining if I did anymore.

Really enjoying it tbh, strength is going way up, feel like when I go to the gym it’s 45 minutes of hell but once it’s done, get out and rest/grow.
Back day tomorrow. Shins aren’t back up to being conditioned yet and my left one split open last Sunday :lol: claret arl owa. Had to take a break and clean it up in the gym.

Won’t be doing them for a few weeks.

Last edited:
apparently my glutes are dormant from years of sitting at a desk :D
give me a 30min routine

are single leg deadlifts as good as traditional barbell deadlifts ?

Joined a new gym. Soon as I walked in I spyed the lat pullover machine, never seen one in the flesh before. Had a monster back session on Sunday and my Lats are fucked. Beauty of a machine.

This gym is so much better on a morning, can actually do a workout without the feeling of dread walking through the car park, knowing I’ll have to navigate 8000 people in the weight section.

apparently my glutes are dormant from years of sitting at a desk :D
give me a 30min routine

are single leg deadlifts as good as traditional barbell deadlifts ?
My recommendation would be to move to Thailand and fire ping pong balls out of your butt cheeks.

Or you could do Pilates, bridges are good for that sort of thing.

When I do deadlifts I don’t really think about using my glutes, perhaps I should squeeze them more.

I seem to use glutes more when I do goblet squats.

I’m one year in to training at 6am 3 times a week and still love it. If I miss a day I feel off, I’ve found it’s become somewhere to exorcise my demons and give everything I’ve got for an hour before I used to be out of bed.

Progress is slow going at my age tho and although I’m fitter and stronger than I’ve been since I was a young man, I can’t seem to shift the last 10lb or so to get down to my target weight. I hit 200lb and bounce back up again every time. I was aiming for 190lbs way before now, which would be a 30lb loss from my heaviest, but it doesn’t want to ho anywhere.

I’m one year in to training at 6am 3 times a week and still love it. If I miss a day I feel off, I’ve found it’s become somewhere to exorcise my demons and give everything I’ve got for an hour before I used to be out of bed.

Progress is slow going at my age tho and although I’m fitter and stronger than I’ve been since I was a young man, I can’t seem to shift the last 10lb or so to get down to my target weight. I hit 200lb and bounce back up again every time. I was aiming for 190lbs way before now, which would be a 30lb loss from my heaviest, but it doesn’t want to ho anywhere.
What’s happened with the running mate?

Calories in Vs Calories out mate.

If you’re maintaining your weight then you’ll be eating maintenance calories.

What’s happened with the running mate?
I keep pulling leg muscles every time I run, haven’t been out for a while as trying not to avoid more set backs. Whatever happened to my hamstring in the gym the other week isn’t too bad now but I can still feel it so staying off anything heavy on legs and building back up.

I keep pulling leg muscles every time I run, haven’t been out for a while as trying not to avoid more set backs. Whatever happened to my hamstring in the gym the other week isn’t too bad now but I can still feel it so staying off anything heavy on legs and building back up.
Very sensible, it’s shite getting older like one thing after another and you’re laid up for a month!

Been trying to lose a bit fluff, ready for me jollies soon (failed but hey!). After that, gonna go for a bulk autumn leading into winter cos I noticed I can't make any strength gains eating a negative calorie intake

Been trying to lose a bit fluff, ready for me jollies soon (failed but hey!). After that, gonna go for a bulk autumn leading into winter cos I noticed I can't make any strength gains eating a negative calorie intake
I’ve gained half a kilo in a week yet lost 2cm off my waist. I don’t understand things anymore :lol:

Is there a way to lift weight what focus on fast twitching fibres and explosive power, rather than muscle gain.

Would lifting lighter weights quicker help or is there more to it?.

Apologies for semi hijacking thread.

Update:
Deload week is haaaaaard! Want to get back in the gym but know my body needs a rest, after a shit session on Sunday.

Been lifting 4 times a week,
Tuesday - chest biceps
Thursday - legs
Saturday - shoulders triceps
Sunday - back

Maximum intensity to failure and beyond. trying to keep the workouts to 45 minutes.

That worry that when I train shoulders again after the deload on the 29th I’ll not be pressing as much :lol:

Back