Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
I don't use Carbon but I'd trust it - are you aware that it's Layne Norton who's behind it? This thread turned me on to him in the first place and I know there are a few new people reading the thread, if you haven't come across him before then take a look - eminently sensible is the summary from me.

It's good knowing that this thread/board has helped even with things like that. Didn't expect it to turn out to be this useful of a thread for a decent amount of people

Keep a food diary for a month and you might be surprised by how much (shite) you really consume.

Start by reducing the obvious fatty processed food, cut back on booze, chocolate etc. while doing the exercises that you enjoy.

Review after a few months before you get too technical and obsessive.

BTW cardio for weight loss is massively hyped up, if it takes 30 minutes to burn off 300 calories then it’s easier to avoid eating a chocolate snack bar. Plus you often over eat after doing cardio.
Edit: this thread might be helpful:

Just replied to someone with a workout we started with which was almost HIIT based but now we do very little actual cardio apart from the warm up and spend an hour just doing weights. I’m roughly the same weight as I was but my body fat has dropped below 20% while ive put on the same amount of muscle as I had lost in fat. The benefits of weight training for fat loss can’t be overstated.

Just replied to someone with a workout we started with which was almost HIIT based but now we do very little actual cardio apart from the warm up and spend an hour just doing weights. I’m roughly the same weight as I was but my body fat has dropped below 20% while ive put on the same amount of muscle as I had lost in fat. The benefits of weight training for fat loss can’t be overstated.
During the lockdown I was restricted to running and my physique became ‘skinny fat’. I was eating like a horse but I lost some of the muscle that I had.

After the gyms re-opened I haven’t done any cardio apart from 5 mins on the rowing machine to warmup for deadlifting.

I have regained most of the strength and I can control my eating more easily when I do weight training. 16/8 hours intermittent fasting works well for me.

During the lockdown I was restricted to running and my physique became ‘skinny fat’. I was eating like a horse but I lost some of the muscle that I had.

After the gyms re-opened I haven’t done any cardio apart from 5 mins on the rowing machine to warmup for deadlifting.

I have regained most of the strength and I can control my eating more easily when I do weight training. 16/8 hours intermittent fasting works well for me.
I had so much weight to lose - down 102 lbs now and still another 14-20 to lose (although I’m not as bothered about the scales as I was).

We have 4 squares of dark chocolate on a night and a glass of whole milk from the local farm to wash it down. I’ll have a couple of biscuits during the day as a snack but I’m still in a deficit and those are some easy things to drop if the weight loss stops altogether.

Biggest problem I have is that I now have quite well defined chest muscles but my man tits are still there so it looks like I’ve got two pairs of tits :lol:

Wouldn’t mind losing the rest of my belly too but slow and steady wins the race.

I had so much weight to lose - down 102 lbs now and still another 14-20 to lose (although I’m not as bothered about the scales as I was).

We have 4 squares of dark chocolate on a night and a glass of whole milk from the local farm to wash it down. I’ll have a couple of biscuits during the day as a snack but I’m still in a deficit and those are some easy things to drop if the weight loss stops altogether.

Biggest problem I have is that I now have quite well defined chest muscles but my man tits are still there so it looks like I’ve got two pairs of tits :lol:

Wouldn’t mind losing the rest of my belly too but slow and steady wins the race.
You’ve lost over 100lbs of weight? That’s some going, I assume that you’ve mainly posted on the weight loss thread and not this one?

If-when I have some time I’ll try to read some of your posts. How long have you been weight training for?

You’ve lost over 100lbs of weight? That’s some going, I assume that you’ve mainly posted on the weight loss thread and not this one?

If-when I have some time I’ll try to read some of your posts. How long have you been weight training for?
Aye ive been on there :lol:

Started off at the beginning of lockdown at 22 and a half stone. Down to 15st 4 now. Hadn’t lifted a weight in my life before then but been fat most of my life hence the saggy bits. Entirely my fault obviously. Covid was the push me and the missus needed to get healthy. She’s lost 5 stone and is now a proper weights devotee :lol:

Started off “oh if I lift weights I’ll get a six pack and I don’t want that” and now she’s watching other women in the gym who don’t lift weights thinking they’re daft :lol:

Started off at the beginning of lockdown at 22 and a half stone. Down to 15st 4 now. Hadn’t lifted a weight in my life before then but been fat most of my life hence the saggy bits. Entirely my fault obviously. Covid was the push me and the missus needed to get healthy. She’s lost 5 stone and is now a proper weights devotee :lol:

Started off “oh if I lift weights I’ll get a six pack and I don’t want that” and now she’s watching other women in the gym who don’t lift weights thinking they’re daft :lol:
Nice one that’s really good.

I only weigh about 65kg, it’s all muscle though ;)

Gave you a follow on IG
Cheers Ross, followed back.
Class mate, love the ambitions bit.
Thanks Joe. Long road ahead, but I'll get there. Put this week's blog up on Powerliftmedia yesterday.
It's good knowing that this thread/board has helped even with things like that. Didn't expect it to turn out to be this useful of a thread for a decent amount of people
This thread is great, only one I really return to regularly, and then I keep an eye on anything popping up on this bit of the forum where I think I may have something valuable to contribute.

That's amazing, well done to you and your wife.

Last edited:
Well these calories carbon set are seemingly working, lost about 1.8lbs since Monday, they’re not too low that they feel restrictive in having the odd moderate treat. Done no cardio this week either, just two weight sessions, my third of the week today.

Couple niggles as my body gets back into it, outside of my left knee, mid to lower back (had this before started lifting again though) on the plus side though, I’m doing more accessory work on my shoulders than ever before and that seems to slowly be helping shoulder pain I’ve had for years and years, had to have a wide grip squatting at first but getting that mobility back to the point I’ve been able to narrow my grip to my wedding ring finger being on the closest notch on the bar, a position I always favoured.

Possibly the wrong thread going off the title so feel free to tell me to F off :) but has anyone got any recommendations for where to buy a decent bodybuilding training plan? I strength trained for around 5 years but feel like i need a change now, been doing a few John Meadows (RIP) plans recently and it was a nice change

Possibly the wrong thread going off the title so feel free to tell me to F off :) but has anyone got any recommendations for where to buy a decent bodybuilding training plan? I strength trained for around 5 years but feel like i need a change now, been doing a few John Meadows (RIP) plans recently and it was a nice change
Depends how tailored you’re wanting it. If you’re semi casual, then there’s hundreds on the internet that will sort you out, and you’ll be able to find one you like with a bit of research.

If you want something more personalised, you’re best off contacting a PT - If there are any that impress you on Instagram etc and are open for training/plans I’d recommend getting in touch. I have worked with Tom Haviland in the past, check him out, serious stuff. He probably still has service but it’s not pure bodybuilding.

If you want, nay desire, a sculpted body such as mine, then for a princely fee of £200 I could watch YouTube this afternoon and then email you a PERSINOLIZED training plan to satisfy your every need.

Back