Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

What is a rough idea of a low calorie diet to combine with weights n cardio?
It’s impossible to blindly say mate, you need to figure out your daily calorie requirements then eat below that, between 500-1000 cals a day lower.

There are websites such as TDEE Calculator: Learn Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure which may give you a rough idea but these are just a guide, it’s all about monitoring your weight and adjusting accordingly.

in regards to weight training, I’d probably say you’d be best off with a full body workout giving you the best calorie burn for the time spent in the gym.

keep the protein high (1-1.3g of protein per lb of body weight) this has several benefits. Promotes you keeping the muscle you have as a calorie deficit will strip that, keeps you full for longer, and in laymans terms it’s harder for your body to break down and digest than carbs and fat meaning your body will burn more calories digesting it than carbs and fat.

Can do both no problem. Just obviously can't get away with as much volume in weight room if doing a lot of boxing.

I'd you want maximum transfer to boxing, you'll want to mostly concentrate on fairly heavy and and explosive work, with the odd hypertrophy phase if necessary. Get some triple extension work in without trying full snatches and C&Js. Hang cleans, power shrugs etc.
Class, cheers marra

It’s impossible to blindly say mate, you need to figure out your daily calorie requirements then eat below that, between 500-1000 cals a day lower.

There are websites such as TDEE Calculator: Learn Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure which may give you a rough idea but these are just a guide, it’s all about monitoring your weight and adjusting accordingly.

in regards to weight training, I’d probably say you’d be best off with a full body workout giving you the best calorie burn for the time spent in the gym.

keep the protein high (1-1.3g of protein per lb of body weight) this has several benefits. Promotes you keeping the muscle you have as a calorie deficit will strip that, keeps you full for longer, and in laymans terms it’s harder for your body to break down and digest than carbs and fat meaning your body will burn more calories digesting it than carbs and fat.
Cheers mate really appreciate that 👍

Pb in my weakest lift today, 8x53 chest press, always struggled with this to be honest and felt like I made some progress today.
Good work fella, keep at it!

Replying to the original poster but quoting your post (which I thought was excellent by the way) as my point is a follow on. I'd also recommend, at least initially, weighing your food to calculate your calorie intake. Guessing at how much you have on your plate can be a recipe for error - and I'm speaking from personal experience there!

Last edited:
@Simpsyla you doing more vids for YouTube? I’m interested in your progress if you have any more.
There’s a lot of movements that can directly help increase your BP, do you do lots of dips? The more dips you do, the better your bench gets. And when you start doing weighted dips, there’s none stop progress!

well done btw
I don’t do any tbh!

Last edited:
How much cardio and weights is enough for steady weight loss?
Keep a food diary for a month and you might be surprised by how much (shite) you really consume.

Start by reducing the obvious fatty processed food, cut back on booze, chocolate etc. while doing the exercises that you enjoy.

Review after a few months before you get too technical and obsessive.

BTW cardio for weight loss is massively hyped up, if it takes 30 minutes to burn off 300 calories then it’s easier to avoid eating a chocolate snack bar. Plus you often over eat after doing cardio.
Edit: this thread might be helpful:

Last edited:
Anyone use carbon to track calories? Thought I’d give it a chance, gave me 2177 a day last week, dropped about 7lbs (water weight, I know) I “checked in” this morning and it’s given me 2502 a day this week. I know it’ll take a few weeks to dial in but interested to see where I end up. Not as user friendly as MFP like

Anyone use carbon to track calories? Thought I’d give it a chance, gave me 2177 a day last week, dropped about 7lbs (water weight, I know) I “checked in” this morning and it’s given me 2502 a day this week. I know it’ll take a few weeks to dial in but interested to see where I end up. Not as user friendly as MFP like
How does it work then and why is it altering your calorie intake like that?

How does it work then and why is it altering your calorie intake like that?
Because I lost such a large amount in the first week. You input your size, general exercise amount, job type etc and it gives you a suggested calorie intake. Cause I lost loads in one week it’s adjusted my calories so I don’t lose as fast.

Pb in my weakest lift today, 8x53 chest press, always struggled with this to be honest and felt like I made some progress today.
Are you using a barbell and flat benching for this 53KG?

You should try mixing it up aswell with free weights on different angled benches. I have been stuck with a 5RM for ages but beat it today on bench at last, I have been incorporating quite a lot of dips and a new excerise to me (dumbell seated cleans) to strengthen my front shoulders on the recommendation of a coach and it has increased my bench quickly.

I don't use Carbon but I'd trust it - are you aware that it's Layne Norton who's behind it? This thread turned me on to him in the first place and I know there are a few new people reading the thread, if you haven't come across him before then take a look - eminently sensible is the summary from me.

I don't use Carbon but I'd trust it - are you aware that it's Layne Norton who's behind it? This thread turned me on to him in the first place and I know there are a few new people reading the thread, if you haven't come across him before then take a look - eminently sensible is the summary from me.
Yer he’s one of the only people in the industry I trust tbh

@Simpsyla you doing more vids for YouTube? I’m interested in your progress if you have any more.

I don’t do any tbh!
I'm still putting them up but I don't know if they're showing up as well as they used to. I keep them under a minute because they're also for Instagram, but that means they're classed as a 'short' for YouTube. They should still show up on my channel though. To be honest, I'm not sure how it all works.

I'm using the same videos on my blog too, and also writing in a little more detail there if you're interested:

There are a few others writing on there too, which may be of interest, including Naomi, who won her class in the Irish Pro the weekend before last.

I'm still putting them up but I don't know if they're showing up as well as they used to. I keep them under a minute because they're also for Instagram, but that means they're classed as a 'short' for YouTube. They should still show up on my channel though. To be honest, I'm not sure how it all works.

I'm using the same videos on my blog too, and also writing in a little more detail there if you're interested:

There are a few others writing on there too, which may be of interest, including Naomi, who won her class in the Irish Pro the weekend before last.
Gave you a follow on IG

Class mate, love the ambitions bit.

Back