Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Absolute animal. For context as well the IPF worlds also just took place and the winning total in the Open 93kg class was in the 870kg range.

Mate of mine finished 7th there as well (770kg).
That's great context, thanks!

And well done to your mate.
How utterly bizarre:

Don't bother watching the video (it's just a lad running about) but have a look at the article.

Last edited:
Absolute animal. For context as well the IPF worlds also just took place and the winning total in the Open 93kg class was in the 870kg range.

Mate of mine finished 7th there as well (770kg).
870 kilos is still pretty unbelievable in a drug free comp like, in fact I actually don't believe that's possible drug free. Powerlifting has come on leaps and bounds in the last 10 years it's getting crazy and will probably continue for a few years yet.

870 kilos is still pretty unbelievable in a drug free comp like, in fact I actually don't believe that's possible drug free. Powerlifting has come on leaps and bounds in the last 10 years it's getting crazy and will probably continue for a few years yet.

I think powerlifting for decades has been underpopulated by people with genuinely great genetics. As it has increased in popularity, the talent pool has increased massively and we're seeing more genetic freaks.

There is also a fuck load of people who are on drugs and lying about it, or have irreversible performance benefiting physiological changes from prior drug use.

Bit of a mixed result today. Had blood tests recently which showed my iron levels are low and iron stores very low, not sure what’s causing it yet as it’s unusual in men, but think it may be from giving blood so often for the last few years. At least I hope that’s what it is. On iron tablets try and boost levels back up.

Result is I’m gassing out too soon, went for 103kg squat Pb today and could only do 6 reps each set, was going for 8. Managed to equal my pb for chest press but only just.

went in to the session feeling really confident but can’t help feeling a bit disappointed.

I think powerlifting for decades has been underpopulated by people with genuinely great genetics. As it has increased in popularity, the talent pool has increased massively and we're seeing more genetic freaks.

There is also a fuck load of people who are on drugs and lying about it, or have irreversible performance benefiting physiological changes from prior drug use.
There's some monsters already coming into the sport but in 10 years I think we'll see number we never thought possible, just shows how good ed coan was all those years ago with inferior equipment.

Aye it irritates me to think of the drugs people take or have taken previously but I try to just enjoy the lifting, a young lad or lass these days has 2 options take drugs or accept they'll never achieve anything. Maybe 1 athlete out of 50 is able to compete drug free but it's not a great choice.

Bit of a mixed result today. Had blood tests recently which showed my iron levels are low and iron stores very low, not sure what’s causing it yet as it’s unusual in men, but think it may be from giving blood so often for the last few years. At least I hope that’s what it is. On iron tablets try and boost levels back up.

Result is I’m gassing out too soon, went for 103kg squat Pb today and could only do 6 reps each set, was going for 8. Managed to equal my pb for chest press but only just.

went in to the session feeling really confident but can’t help feeling a bit disappointed.
Hope you get sorted on the iron front soon mate. Good to be doing what you can still though, keep at it.
There's some monsters already coming into the sport but in 10 years I think we'll see number we never thought possible, just shows how good ed coan was all those years ago with inferior equipment.

Aye it irritates me to think of the drugs people take or have taken previously but I try to just enjoy the lifting, a young lad or lass these days has 2 options take drugs or accept they'll never achieve anything. Maybe 1 athlete out of 50 is able to compete drug free but it's not a great choice.
That's what I like about the (A)BPU - acknowledges that it's there, has people lifting on the same platform, but there's no excuse for being in the wrong side.

Last edited:
Hope you get sorted on the iron front soon mate. Good to be doing what you can still though, keep at it.

That's what I like about the (A)BPU - acknowledges that it's there, has people lifting on the same platform, but there's no excuse for being in the wrong side.
Absolutely mate, don't get me wrong there is some genuine freaks who don't use drugs, and it's poor form to just assume because someone is good it drugs but it usually is unfortunately, funnily enough you'll find some people in the untested feds who aren't actually using Peds just because it's more competitive.

If you have low iron you should probably be able to maintain a higher frequency lower workload plan, obviously it depends what your schedule is like but when very fatigued through life or work etc I switch to more training days and shorter workouts, just spread your weekly volume out over more sessions

Last edited:

im really enjoying it to be honest, I need a way of factoring in more training tho as I’m only getting in an hour a week. I love the aching the next day when you can feel it really worked. On ferrous Ferminate tablets to bring my iron levels back up but think I might have to have the camera up to rule out any occult bleeding as there’s not really many reasons a blokes age should age had such a drop off in iron levels, other than blood loss. My diet isn’t shit enough to explain it, so it ifs not gastrointestinal bleeding, which I’ve never noticed owt wrong that way, then I think it can only be giving blood that’s done it. Typical you try to do something good and it fuck you up!

Wish I'd found this four years ago, hope it might help one of you.

Wish I'd found this four years ago, hope it might help one of you.

I was advised that your squat foot stance should be approximately how you land from a vertical jump.

I am glad that people recognise how anatomies can vary, when I started Stronglifts 5x5 I soon found that I had limitations in almost every movement.

Over head press - my shoulder mobility is pants so my back arches.

Rows - tight hamstrings, so I use the setup advised by Cavaliere.

Deadlift - hamstrings, short arms, long legs.

Squat - as already posted, ankle and hip mobility is different on each side of the body.

Maybe it’s just my age and doing these lifts has highlighted imbalances and injuries, but for many people it isn’t straightforward to expect to have the capability of performing the movements correctly without some remedial exercises/stretches.

Last edited:
Starting to watch a bit Westside barebll clubs YouTube videos decided to implement there speed training in with my bench work, 16*3 at 80% ish in a very short space of time 8 mins 30 seconds. Feel like I've had a pump in my man breasts. Going to stick some chain work in aswell see if I can get my bench back up

Starting to watch a bit Westside barebll clubs YouTube videos decided to implement there speed training in with my bench work, 16*3 at 80% ish in a very short space of time 8 mins 30 seconds. Feel like I've had a pump in my man breasts. Going to stick some chain work in aswell see if I can get my bench back up

My bench was flying when I was incorporating floor press and chains.

Although that was a variation for one of my 4 bench sessions a week in that period, alongside a heavy day, a lighter day, and a close grip day. So obviously difficult to disentangle the variations from the fact I was just benching a lot more frequently.

Although that was a variation for one of my 4 bench sessions a week in that period, alongside a heavy day, a lighter day, and a close grip day. So obviously difficult to disentangle the variations from the fact I was just benching a lot more frequently.
Much the same here copied the speed work out. Much more volume it's limiting what else I train but. Never tried the floor press. What sort of volume were you doing on four days a week? I'm doing speed work out 5 * 5 and wide grip but was looking to move on to chains, speed and wide. Start using my slingshot again but it's a bit small now

Much the same here copied the speed work out. Much more volume it's limiting what else I train but. Never tried the floor press. What sort of volume were you doing on four days a week? I'm doing speed work out 5 * 5 and wide grip but was looking to move on to chains, speed and wide. Start using my slingshot again but it's a bit small now

Basically followed something very similar to this framework.

So volume depended on how many warm up sets I got through and how many drop sets I did which was all kind of based on RPE on the day.

Very good way of training though.

I get there is some really good programming and it's needed but what you've just said definitely gets lost in everything, want to get better of a lift do it more, Boris sheiko isn't a world class coach by adding bands, he just knows that to be world class an athlete needs to be exposed to high volume through sets at about 60-80% range and then he can adjust to allow a peak from there.

I get there is some really good programming and it's needed but what you've just said definitely gets lost in everything, want to get better of a lift do it more, Boris sheiko isn't a world class coach by adding bands, he just knows that to be world class an athlete needs to be exposed to high volume through sets at about 60-80% range and then he can adjust to allow a peak from there.

Or chains make lifters hornier and stronger.

Back