Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

I have been trying some different setups for deadlifting.

I watched a video where it advised to push down with the legs until the bar is just below the knee, then you use your posterior chain/hips to move the bar the rest of the way.

I wasn’t really feeling my legs firing until I tried a more narrow starting position and it made a big difference.

I watched the video below last weekend and am trying to go deeper in the set up to use my legs more - seems to be working thus far.

Also watched this one on the squat and have implemented a couple of things I haven't tried before:

More than anything I think they were good refreshers on form.

Seen a video a few times on Instagram of a guy squatting 525kg yesterday (raw world record). Absolutely incredible!

Thanks that is interesting. Rippetoe advises not to drop the hips though.

lowering hips during deadlift setup

When I used to drop the hips more then my shins took a beating.

I don’t get any scrapes on them now.

Plenty of very good deadlifters do drop their hips though.

More than one way to skin a cat. Vince Urbank is one who probably wastes a lot of motion by how deep he gets but he broke the North American record so it works for him. Eddie Hall drops his hips loads too.

Genuinely think Andy Bolton’s is the best conventional deadlift form I’ve ever seen.

That’s the same video that I’d watched!

I thought it may have been from your description - well worth a watch. He makes it look so easy though, it's taking me ages to set up at the moment. Still, they say perfect practice makes perfection!

That’s the same video that I’d watched!

Have you had much opportunity to practice the tweaks you want to make yet?

Last edited:
Have you had much opportunity to practice the tweaks you want to make yet?
I tried on Thursday with my feet slightly more narrow and I definitely felt my legs initiate the pull rather than arms/back.

I won’t be back at the gym until the new year though but I’ll try dropping my hips a bit more. It might be a trade off between more weight and more shin scraping! At my age though I just want to avoid injuries I’m not too fussed about massive gainz but I still think that I’m capable of a 1RM of x2 body weight on deadlifts.

I watched the video below last weekend and am trying to go deeper in the set up to use my legs more - seems to be working thus far.

Also watched this one on the squat and have implemented a couple of things I haven't tried before:

More than anything I think they were good refreshers on form.

Seen a video a few times on Instagram of a guy squatting 525kg yesterday (raw world record). Absolutely incredible!
It's honestly a frightening record, powerlifting is going mental at the minute, 525 would be a single ply record to show how incredible it is, alhozov has also had a complete knee replacement.

It's honestly a frightening record, powerlifting is going mental at the minute, 525 would be a single ply record to show how incredible it is, alhozov has also had a complete knee replacement.

Certainly puts my three minute rests between sets of 117.5kg for three reps into a bit of perspective! Still, as long as I'm doing it and making progress I'm satisfied.

I tried on Thursday with my feet slightly more narrow and I definitely felt my legs initiate the pull rather than arms/back.

I won’t be back at the gym until the new year though but I’ll try dropping my hips a bit more. It might be a trade off between more weight and more shin scraping! At my age though I just want to avoid injuries I’m not too fussed about massive gainz but I still think that I’m capable of a 1RM of x2 body weight on deadlifts.

Sounds like the narrower stance bodes well and hopefully helps you towards that 140kg one rep max!

Definitely understand about avoiding injury - I'm really risk averse with that too.

Last edited:
Last day of benching 4x a week for this cycle tomorrow. Then I won’t bench most of the following week before testing a new max on Friday.

How's it felt benching 4x a week? What have you done with your other lifts around that? What was your previous 1rm? What are you aiming for this time?

Apologies for multiple questions, just interested! Cheers.

How's it felt benching 4x a week? What have you done with your other lifts around that? What was your previous 1rm? What are you aiming for this time?

Apologies for multiple questions, just interested! Cheers.

My shoulders feel horrendous but otherwise it’s been ok.

A light squat session and a light deadlift session per week, given it’s just a short term thing. Then a fair bit of upper back assistance work.

Was around 120kg at the time. Used 115kg as a conservative weight to calculate training weights from.

Hoping I might get around 10kg out of it. Done it because my bench is desperately shit.

My shoulders feel horrendous but otherwise it’s been ok.

A light squat session and a light deadlift session per week, given it’s just a short term thing. Then a fair bit of upper back assistance work.

Was around 120kg at the time. Used 115kg as a conservative weight to calculate training weights from.

Hoping I might get around 10kg out of it. Done it because my bench is desperately shit.

Cheers. Hope my bench gets somewhere close to your desperate one one day! Let us know how you get on with the new 1rm please.

Can confirm it worked very well and my bench has gone up substantially.

If anyone is at all interested I was essentially using a Smolov Jr programme. Going to be using it for squats and bench simultaneously as of next week.

If there’s one thing I know about myself it’s that I respond well to very high frequency training and it’s only personal time constraints which stop me doing it consistently.

Can confirm it worked very well and my bench has gone up substantially.

If anyone is at all interested I was essentially using a Smolov Jr programme. Going to be using it for squats and bench simultaneously as of next week.

If there’s one thing I know about myself it’s that I respond well to very high frequency training and it’s only personal time constraints which stop me doing it consistently.

Congratulations on the increase - what's your new 1rm?

It's time for me too - I won't commit to more than three sessions a week, which narrows down my options as I start thinking about what's next after Stronglifts. I think I'll probably do Madcow as it seems the most natural programme to progress to. Does anyone have any experience of Madcow?

I'm going to nail the 140kg squat this morning. I tried it again last week after my working sets of squatting and got half way up, but today is the day. Going to do a 1rm test as a replacement for my Stronglifts squat sets and then finish the rest of the workout as normal.

Congratulations on the increase - what's your new 1rm?

It's time for me too - I won't commit to more than three sessions a week, which narrows down my options as I start thinking about what's next after Stronglifts. I think I'll probably do Madcow as it seems the most natural programme to progress to. Does anyone have any experience of Madcow?

I'm going to nail the 140kg squat this morning. I tried it again last week after my working sets of squatting and got half way up, but today is the day. Going to do a 1rm test as a replacement for my Stronglifts squat sets and then finish the rest of the workout as normal.

Edit: Boom! Nailed it. The 140 actually went more smoothly than the 125 in the warm up. Delighted. 140kg at 69kg body mass, chuffed!

Last edited:
One rep max sessiont thismorning:

Squat - after doing the 140kg last week I had a look on Strength Level and found 'advanced' was only 5kg more - so thought I'd see if I could nail it this week. Got about half way back up and then failed, so can't be too far off.

Sets and reps:

2*5*20kg
1*5*40,60kg
1*3*80kg
1*2*100kg
1*1*125kg (with belt)
1*1*145kg (with belt, failed)

Overhead press - by far my weakest exercise. Had a look on Strength Level and 56kg is the bottom of intermediate so thought I'd give that a shot. Did it pretty comfortably so quite pleased with that.

2*5*20kg
1*3*40kg
1*1*50kg
1*1*56kg

Deadlift - after failing on the 160kg about a month ago I thought I'd see where I was at. Need to nail the 160kg for the 400kg total. I got 140kg this morning, pleased with that, just gotta keep plugging away.

All with overhand grip and chalk from the 130kg:

1*5*60,80kg
1*3*100kg
1*1*130kg
1*1*160kg (fail)
1*1*150kg (fail)
1*1*140kg (get up!)

So new PB on overhead press and deadlift at 68.8kg. Will test my bench next week.

Q. Is there a big difference, protein wise, between packets of cooked chicken from a supermarket and buying up chicken breast and cooking it yourself?

^The reason I ask is I have been lifting weights for 18 months now, never done it before and am really chuffed with what I have done. First time ever I have a decent shape, shoulders and chest in particular have come on really well.

I do struggle with the diet though as I get very mixed up with how I am meant to follow what I am eating and how I know what is in what. I have aspergers and I find this kind of thing very difficult. I have even tried the app where you scan your food but that didn't work well for me at all.

I am also fairly strict on what I eat and eat roughly the same thing everyday, so have introduced more protein over time to change my diet and for the past 6 months have been having a packet of cooked chicken from Tesco every lunch which is 60g of protein. I understand it's probably not the best quality and there will be water in there but surely 60g is 60g?

I understand this post probably seems a bit silly to the experienced folk but I am trying to find ways of improving my protein intake while also struggling a little with changing my diet and understanding food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q. Is there a big difference, protein wise, between packets of cooked chicken from a supermarket and buying up chicken breast and cooking it yourself?

^The reason I ask is I have been lifting weights for 18 months now, never done it before and am really chuffed with what I have done. First time ever I have a decent shape, shoulders and chest in particular have come on really well.

I do struggle with the diet though as I get very mixed up with how I am meant to follow what I am eating and how I know what is in what. I have aspergers and I find this kind of thing very difficult. I have even tried the app where you scan your food but that didn't work well for me at all.

I am also fairly strict on what I eat and eat roughly the same thing everyday, so have introduced more protein over time to change my diet and for the past 6 months have been having a packet of cooked chicken from Tesco every lunch which is 60g of protein. I understand it's probably not the best quality and there will be water in there but surely 60g is 60g?

I understand this post probably seems a bit silly to the experienced folk but I am trying to find ways of improving my protein intake while also struggling a little with changing my diet and understanding food.
Yeah 60g of chicken protein is pretty much as good as any other protein.

Would I be right in thinking that due to your Asperger's you get told something and then this becomes your norm therefore making a different decision can cause you some anxiety?

The only time protein is not equal is if you buy cheap whey which is not good quality or you eat a vegan diet and therefore have to eat a range of proteins to cover your bases.

Yeah 60g of chicken protein is pretty much as good as any other protein.

Would I be right in thinking that due to your Asperger's you get told something and then this becomes your norm therefore making a different decision can cause you some anxiety?

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear 60g is 60g. That suggests makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

I do find it hard to break out of what I do now as that is just what feels like me, it fits in and I know it works. Though gradually over time I can amend it as long as it's easy to do and feels right.

Its mainly that I just find the tracking of food and breakdown of what's in it very difficult. Its something I don't really understand and generally I either understand something well and am very interested in it or I dont get the basics and things feel like they don't link up in my brain for some reason and it all gets a bit confusing and stressful.

I am also not very good with cooking either. Thankfully my wife is a great cook who also loves cooking and I do the washing up which works well for us. I have some simple things I cook for myself here and there but I am not great at following instructions as I take them too literally. A few months back I decided to make a meal and was getting baffled at why it wasn't working. My wife explained that 'mix in a pan' means the pan has to be on the hob and the heat is on. I had a pan on the worktop and I was just mixing stuff in it thinking wtf?! :) I think there is probably a gap in the market for a cook book written in a proper basic form so eejit's like me can follow it.

Anyway, I am rambling, thanks for the answer. My 60g protein of chicken each day seems good so I will stick at it. I also have a post gym shake (22g) and I am fitting in a can of tuna a day as a snack too (28g) so with some other bits and pieces am having quite a bit of protein but I think I might need more

Back