Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear 60g is 60g. That suggests makes me feel like I am doing the right thing.

I do find it hard to break out of what I do now as that is just what feels like me, it fits in and I know it works. Though gradually over time I can amend it as long as it's easy to do and feels right.

Its mainly that I just find the tracking of food and breakdown of what's in it very difficult. Its something I don't really understand and generally I either understand something well and am very interested in it or I dont get the basics and things feel like they don't link up in my brain for some reason and it all gets a bit confusing and stressful.

I am also not very good with cooking either. Thankfully my wife is a great cook who also loves cooking and I do the washing up which works well for us. I have some simple things I cook for myself here and there but I am not great at following instructions as I take them too literally. A few months back I decided to make a meal and was getting baffled at why it wasn't working. My wife explained that 'mix in a pan' means the pan has to be on the hob and the heat is on. I had a pan on the worktop and I was just mixing stuff in it thinking wtf?! :) I think there is probably a gap in the market for a cook book written in a proper basic form so eejit's like me can follow it.

Anyway, I am rambling, thanks for the answer. My 60g protein of chicken each day seems good so I will stick at it. I also have a post gym shake (22g) and I am fitting in a can of tuna a day as a snack too (28g) so with some other bits and pieces am having quite a bit of protein but I think I might need more
How much do you weigh?

Have you any idea of what your body fat is?

How much do you weigh?

Have you any idea of what your body fat is?

Not sure. I used to weigh myself obsessively but since I started weightlifting i haven't bothered as I had no point of reference for what was good so just went with what I looked like.

I am 5"10 and pre weightlifting was 12 1/2 stone. I have put on quite a bit of muscle in the past 18 months so not sure now, maybe 13st - 13 1/2 stone. Don't know about body fat.

Not sure. I used to weigh myself obsessively but since I started weightlifting i haven't bothered as I had no point of reference for what was good so just went with what I looked like.

I am 5"10 and pre weightlifting was 12 1/2 stone. I have put on quite a bit of muscle in the past 18 months so not sure now, maybe 13st - 13 1/2 stone. Don't know about body fat.
About 150 grams of protein then, if you eat roughly the same things every day then plan for that and with regards to fat and carbs just eat whichever you prefer, then reduce the carbs or fats based on whether you want to lose or gain weight.

About 150 grams of protein then, if you eat roughly the same things every day then plan for that and with regards to fat and carbs just eat whichever you prefer, then reduce the carbs or fats based on whether you want to lose or gain weight.

Really appreciate your help on this. I shall try and find a way of upping the protein a little to get to 150g a day and see if I can make small changes over time as and when it can be accommodated

As in typical recommendations of grammes of protein per kg of bodyweight needed to gain muscle are often way higher than what’s actually needed.

It’s presumably a myth that hangs around because it’s in the supplement industry’s interest to keep people believing they need to spend 50 quid a month or whatever on shakes.
Isn’t the upper limit of what’s needed something like 2.2g’s of protein per kg of lean body mass? Anything over that is unnecessary?

Think I'm going to have one fight before I get back to powerlifting. Still making sure my lifts don't take to nothing, though.

Today was:

Cambered bar paused box squats:
x 4 up to RiR 1

Incline Close Grip:
8 x 2 speed work

Barbell step ups:
3 x 8

Landmine Shoulder Press:
3 x 6

Bent over rows:
x 6 up to RiR 1

Think I'm going to have one fight before I get back to powerlifting. Still making sure my lifts don't take to nothing, though.

Today was:

Cambered bar paused box squats:
x 4 up to RiR 1

Incline Close Grip:
8 x 2 speed work

Barbell step ups:
3 x 8

Landmine Shoulder Press:
3 x 6

Bent over rows:
x 6 up to RiR 1
What like, ya just gonna go and bat someone, bit harsh innit.

Isn’t the upper limit of what’s needed something like 2.2g’s of protein per kg of lean body mass? Anything over that is unnecessary?
Aye sounds about right

I’m absolutely fucked like.

Can’t wait until the next rest and test week.

Anyone heard of someone running Smolov Jr more or less continuously without injury/negative effects?

Think I could do it if I had an easier job.

Might knock it on the head after this block and go back to some sort of Texas method based thing.

Haven’t pulled for a while but I have a very lower back dominant squat so will be interesting to see if my deadlift is stronger.
I bet it's shit and you get injured, I mean I hope not..... Hope not....

Tested my bench yesterday. Safe to say I have a new weakest exercise. Tagged the 1rm test onto the end of the Stronglifts workout that doesn't include the bench and don't think that was the greatest of ideas - despite not benching and having recently deloaded on squat and deadlift I was somewhere near my max on overhead press, and I think that told.

1rm testing went like this:

2*5*20kg
1*3*40kg
1*1*60kg
1*1*80kg (fail)
1*1*75kg (fail, got half way, should have given it another minute after failing on the 80kg and think I would have got it)
1*1*70kg (success)

83kg is the bottom of intermediate from Strength Level for my mass and age, got a good way to go for that and a long way to go for the 100kg I want.

I think once I'm finished with Stronglifts in the next couple of months I'll be looking at the bench programme @Stevie Freestein II recommended to try and push it on a bit.

Still, at least there's a marker down now, onwards and upwards from here!

Tested my bench yesterday. Safe to say I have a new weakest exercise. Tagged the 1rm test onto the end of the Stronglifts workout that doesn't include the bench and don't think that was the greatest of ideas - despite not benching and having recently deloaded on squat and deadlift I was somewhere near my max on overhead press, and I think that told.

1rm testing went like this:

2*5*20kg
1*3*40kg
1*1*60kg
1*1*80kg (fail)
1*1*75kg (fail, got half way, should have given it another minute after failing on the 80kg and think I would have got it)
1*1*70kg (success)

83kg is the bottom of intermediate from Strength Level for my mass and age, got a good way to go for that and a long way to go for the 100kg I want.

I think once I'm finished with Stronglifts in the next couple of months I'll be looking at the bench programme @Stevie Freestein II recommended to try and push it on a bit.

Still, at least there's a marker down now, onwards and upwards from here!
The 6 week bench programme worked well for me, I got to a 1RM of 90kg iirc with 70kg body weight.

The problem was that I did bench twice a week and my ohp suffered a bit.

I don’t bother with bench press now, I do light ohp and press ups and a lot of body weight exercises like pull ups, dips, monkey bars, hangs etc.

Have fun!

The 6 week bench programme worked well for me, I got to a 1RM of 90kg iirc with 70kg body weight.

I don’t bother with bench press now, I do light ohp and press ups and a lot of body weight exercises like pull ups, dips, monkey bars, hangs etc.

Have fun!

I haven’t done anything overhead of note for weeks, just bench 4xweek.

Did a few sets on the Viking Press machine last week though and felt noticeably stronger overhead.

Have fun!

Just having a look at the bench programme and realised it doesn't give any guidance around weights for flyes and the dumbbell bench presses. Given I've never done either and they seem to be high sets and reps I'm assuming it will be light but I don't know how light. Can you remember what weights you used for them please? Thanks in advance.

Not too concerned if my OHP flatlines a bit as my bench is so far behind that I just need to catch it up!

Just having a look at the bench programme and realised it doesn't give any guidance around weights for flyes and the dumbbell bench presses. Given I've never done either and they seem to be high sets and reps I'm assuming it will be light but I don't know how light. Can you remember what weights you used for them please? Thanks in advance.

Not too concerned if my OHP flatlines a bit as my bench is so far behind that I just need to catch it up!
I have found my notes from December 2017. You have the 6 week plan from bodybuilding.com?

I based the weights on a starting 1RM of 85kg.

I didn’t do any dumbbell flies or dumbbell bench press. Only bench, paused bench and tricep dips.

Week1 day 1
Bench press: 3 sets of 6 reps @70% 1RM = 60kg
Paused press: 4x10 @40% = 40kg
Etc

The roundings were usually increased to the next available increment of 2.5kg.

Back