Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
What do you do to improve on pull up? And when I say improve I mean literally be able to even just do 1 :lol: I've been strength training for around 6 months now and have been able to get to decent levels in all other areas (Deadlift 110kg, squat 90kg, bench 35kg) but the pull up just isn't happening. I can somewhat do assisted pull ups but even they are a struggle to get past a few

I know as a woman it's just harder but I see loads of other women being able to do it and it just seems the one area I see zero improvement on. Mostly i just get told eventually I'll get there but it can be disheartening. Just an ego thing really
There are a few different techniques that I’ve seen on YouTube.

One is to start with negatives, I.e. you don’t pull up but you start with your hands on the bar and slowly lower yourself down.

From what I’ve read it’s better not to use the assisted machines that are in some gyms.

You could also incorporate exercises that improve your muscles that are used for pull ups I.e. lats, traps, biceps.

Jeff usually has some good tips.

Nearly two months in as a complete novice, quite happy with my progress. Doing sets of 5:

Squat 40kg > 100kg
Bench press 40kg > 63.5 kg
Deadlift 40kg > 100kg
Overhead press 30kg > 42.5kg
Rows 40kg > 62.5kg

Finding it much, much harder to progress bench and overhead press though, been stuck around those numbers for 2-3 weeks. Squats and deaflifts on the other hand I don't feel like I've come close to a plateau, even though I've progressed a lot more.

I probably need to eat more, but main aim for now is weight loss so guess I'll have to hang around at those numbers until I'm ready to eat at a surplus.

What do you do to improve on pull up? And when I say improve I mean literally be able to even just do 1 :lol: I've been strength training for around 6 months now and have been able to get to decent levels in all other areas (Deadlift 110kg, squat 90kg, bench 35kg) but the pull up just isn't happening. I can somewhat do assisted pull ups but even they are a struggle to get past a few

I know as a woman it's just harder but I see loads of other women being able to do it and it just seems the one area I see zero improvement on. Mostly i just get told eventually I'll get there but it can be disheartening. Just an ego thing really
Start off by stepping up (rather than pulling yourself up) so you get your chest up towards the bar and then slowly lower yourself down from the top position. Then repeat.

By just doing the eccentric portion of the exercise you’ll get the most out of it, anyway. And in the process you’ll build up the strength in the muscles which are preventing you from doing the exercise fully.

Based on your deadlift numbers, your weak point almost certainly in your lats or back, it’s most likely your biceps which are the weak point, so I’d also suggest doing lat pulldowns with a shoulder width grip and your palms facing towards you to build up strength, and also some barbell curls (just use the bar itself, and focus on slowly raising the bar up and lowering it back down). That should fix you up.
There are a few different techniques that I’ve seen on YouTube.

One is to start with negatives, I.e. you don’t pull up but you start with your hands on the bar and slowly lower yourself down.

From what I’ve read it’s better not to use the assisted machines that are in some gyms.

You could also incorporate exercises that improve your muscles that are used for pull ups I.e. lats, traps, biceps.

Jeff usually has some good tips.

Just saw this. Yep.

I struggle to make any progress on pull ups, up to 3 sets of 6 but it’s taken ages to get there.

I do eccentric reps which have helped as I was stuck on 4, so added 2 reps from that. Jump up to the top then lower yourself very slowly down, do 3 sets of 3.

Edit - just read a couple of others giving same advice so good to know it’s a common improvement technique.

Last edited:
Managed to pb my bench yesterday, surprisingly easily, was almost shocked. Last week I went backwards having hit 75x8 the week before I could only do 6. Had been drinking a fair bit the weekend before.

Felt really good in my warm up sets, went to try and get back to 75x8 reps and it was flying up so stopped and put on another 3kg.

Ended up getting 78 for 9 reps! And felt like I had more in the tank in terms of weight.

Alcohol makes a huge difference, totally kills my testosterone which isn’t that high any way with being an older chap. I’m off the booze now as I’ve had Invisalign done so have to have that in 22 hours a day, should help the weight loss target too!

Managed to pb my bench yesterday, surprisingly easily, was almost shocked. Last week I went backwards having hit 75x8 the week before I could only do 6. Had been drinking a fair bit the weekend before.

Felt really good in my warm up sets, went to try and get back to 75x8 reps and it was flying up so stopped and put on another 3kg.

Ended up getting 78 for 9 reps! And felt like I had more in the tank in terms of weight.

Alcohol makes a huge difference, totally kills my testosterone which isn’t that high any way with being an older chap. I’m off the booze now as I’ve had Invisalign done so have to have that in 22 hours a day, should help the weight loss target too!
Here's me googling thinking invisalign is some dodgy eBay tablet :lol:

I had an Invisalign a couple of years back, and it completely stopped all the snacking I did (give the faff it involves), so the weight fell off. Got my teeth straightened with the unintended consequence of losing a good bit of weight too!

Conversely I am lifting more on the bench and I’ve been supplementing with moderate IPA and excessive chocolate intake.

Four years since I last managed to hit one, I PBed my deadlift on Tuesday. 230kg (or 507lb as I prefer :lol:) went up surprisingly smooth. Was always the long term aim to get to 250kg and feel like I’ve smashed the glass ceiling. Previous best was 227.5kg pre lockdown and 220kg had been a struggle up until Christmas last year.

Probably could have PBed bench press this week too but didn’t want to push it. Needs a lot of work compared to the squat and deadlift like but I’m seeing progress there.

Four years since I last managed to hit one, I PBed my deadlift on Tuesday. 230kg (or 507lb as I prefer :lol:) went up surprisingly smooth. Was always the long term aim to get to 250kg and feel like I’ve smashed the glass ceiling. Previous best was 227.5kg pre lockdown and 220kg had been a struggle up until Christmas last year.

Probably could have PBed bench press this week too but didn’t want to push it. Needs a lot of work compared to the squat and deadlift like but I’m seeing progress there.
Good numbers them lad (or lass, not assuming anyones gender!)

Awesome numbers!

Awesome.

Leg press machine - single leg or double leg best ?
Double.

Hit some milestones in this last training block, really chuffed considering I'm upping my running for an ultra and still doing jiu-jitsu.
Squat 100kg for 3
Deadlift 150kg for 2
Bent over Row100kg
Bench 77.5kg

Bench is still the biggest bastard, but considering where I was a year ago I am owa the moon. Bodyweight of 72kg at the moment too. Feeling stronger and fitter at 40 then I have been in my life.

Hit some milestones in this last training block, really chuffed considering I'm upping my running for an ultra and still doing jiu-jitsu.
Squat 100kg for 3
Deadlift 150kg for 2
Bent over Row100kg
Bench 77.5kg

Bench is still the biggest bastard, but considering where I was a year ago I am owa the moon. Bodyweight of 72kg at the moment too. Feeling stronger and fitter at 40 then I have been in my life.
Great figures those for 72kg

Squat 100kg for 3
Deadlift 150kg for 2
Bent over Row100kg
Bench 77.5kg

Well done, enjoy the feeling!

Back