Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Any advice on grip strength?

Been barbell training for about 6 weeks now, basically increasing weight every workout.

Starting to be limited by my grip strength now though, especially with deaflifts.

Could only manage three reps today before grip just gave out, but if not for the grip still feels like I could lift a lot more.

Should I just stay at lower weight until grip catches up, start using straps, train grip specifically?

Been barbell training for about 6 weeks now, basically increasing weight every workout.

Starting to be limited by my grip strength now though, especially with deaflifts.

Could only manage three reps today before grip just gave out, but if not for the grip still feels like I could lift a lot more.

Should I just stay at lower weight until grip catches up, start using straps, train grip specifically?

I use some figure of 8 straps. Mainly to stop callouses ripping off.

Farmers walks, hanging from a bar etc.

Finished my MadCow last weekend - top sets were 115, 65 and 135 for five. All beltless at the moment. Aiming for 125, 75 and 150 in twelve weeks time, probably have to get the belt on towards the end. Bit nervous about that though, as I've changed insulin pump and the sensor now sits on my stomach and worried the pressure will dislodge it. Still, won't know til I've tried.

@Charmless Man and @Lewberry pie - it's s been a while since we've heard from you (unless I've missed it), how's training going?

Finished my MadCow last weekend - top sets were 115, 65 and 135 for five. All beltless at the moment. Aiming for 125, 75 and 150 in twelve weeks time, probably have to get the belt on towards the end. Bit nervous about that though, as I've changed insulin pump and the sensor now sits on my stomach and worried the pressure will dislodge it. Still, won't know til I've tried.

@Charmless Man and @Lewberry pie - it's s been a while since we've heard from you (unless I've missed it), how's training going?
Nice one! I assume the numbers are squat, bench, deadlift respectively?

I’ve had good progress recently based upon a highly scientific supplement plan of beer and chocolate.

I've set a target of completing my first ever muscle up this year. I'm almost 43 so see how it goes. Always been pretty good at chin ups and pull ups. Started adding weight this week to try and increase strength as opposed to doing more each time.

Nice one! I assume the numbers are squat, bench, deadlift respectively?

I’ve had good progress recently based upon a highly scientific supplement plan of beer and chocolate.
Yes, sorry, should have specified.

If the diet is working for you, keep at it!
I've set a target of completing my first ever muscle up this year. I'm almost 43 so see how it goes. Always been pretty good at chin ups and pull ups. Started adding weight this week to try and increase strength as opposed to doing more each time.
Keep us updated with how you're getting on - do you have an ambition or target or generally seeing where it takes you?

Yes, sorry, should have specified.

If the diet is working for you, keep at it!

Keep us updated with how you're getting on - do you have an ambition or target or generally seeing where it takes you?
Well, id love to be able to do one as I think they look cool as fuck. Its one of those things that look easy to until you try it haha. Was aiming for summer but that might be optimistic.

Well, id love to be able to do one as I think they look cool as fuck. Its one of those things that look easy to until you try it haha. Was aiming for summer but that might be optimistic.
I just googled what a muscle up was, completely missed the point of your first message, I thought you just meant get bigger! Definitely interested to hear how you get on now!

I just googled what a muscle up was, completely missed the point of your first message, I thought you just meant get bigger! Definitely interested to hear how you get on now!
I'm quite skinny. Always been quite lean and tried putting muscle on since leaving school to no real success. I'm happy enough now in my body. Can feel myself getting stronger though.
Always enjoyed doing the bodyweight kind of exercises and this one is a pretty advanced one.

Im semi retired now mate had a good time done some good comps and had blast but I've got other priorities at the minute and can't compete, still training but I've lost a little bit of weight and just keeping my body ticking over without getting injured or stressing my cns too much, I might come back to the masters in a few years, I've coached a few lads recently who are just starting out which has been great like I've really enjoyed it. @Charmless Man was last seen finishing 5th in a masters 3 female regional and was never seen again iirc

Im semi retired now mate had a good time done some good comps and had blast but I've got other priorities at the minute and can't compete, still training but I've lost a little bit of weight and just keeping my body ticking over without getting injured or stressing my cns too much, I might come back to the masters in a few years, I've coached a few lads recently who are just starting out which has been great like I've really enjoyed it. @Charmless Man was last seen finishing 5th in a masters 3 female regional and was never seen again iirc

Unfortunately my huge piece visible through the spandex gave it away so they banned me until I officially identified as female.

Nah, I’m lifting two days a week currently as I’m training MMA most days. Find the recovery hard with more lifting than that and a full time job.

Have you tried different grips, like hook? Hurts like a bastard at first but eventually you get used to it

Just let grip catch up, to work your grip do overhand curls without using your thumb, pull ups and when you finish your final set hold the bar in the top of the deadlift for a few seconds. Then if your grip fails use straps for the odd occasion you're really going for it.

Curious what kind of plans/strategies people on here use to improve their pull from the floor?

At the moment I only do Olympic Lift variations and pulls from the racked position, and have only done a few sets of deadlifts from the floor in the last 14 months, so at this point I reckon I’ve probably lost anywhere between 20 and 40 kilos off my deadlift max (maybes much more).

What do you do to improve on pull up? And when I say improve I mean literally be able to even just do 1 :lol: I've been strength training for around 6 months now and have been able to get to decent levels in all other areas (Deadlift 110kg, squat 90kg, bench 35kg) but the pull up just isn't happening. I can somewhat do assisted pull ups but even they are a struggle to get past a few

I know as a woman it's just harder but I see loads of other women being able to do it and it just seems the one area I see zero improvement on. Mostly i just get told eventually I'll get there but it can be disheartening. Just an ego thing really

Back