Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Well done! Love those sessions where you do something really unexpected, enjoy the feeling!
I was annoyed at first as I had a 4th rep in me but my grip went on the bar. :lol: Over the moon now like.

Pleased with the strength increases I’m seeing at the minute. Lost half a stone since new year too.

Finished that block with numbers I'm happy with and much better progress and weighing 72kg.
DL 145
Squat 100kg
Bench 75kg
Row 75kg

I've stupidly signed up for another ultramarathon in October so that training will take precedent as of March but gonna keep the lifting going because when I've done them previously I've never done any strength stuff so it can only be beneficial I think.

Superb marra!
Class that. What’s the ultra marathon?

How’s your training going mate?
Short answer - well, relatively.

Long answer - ramped back up last eight weeks. 2023 was an awful year - I'd got bigger in 2022 and stronger with it - at one point I doubled my comp pb on squat, comfortably. Start of 2023 life just got hectic, so I switched to a bodybuilding style and was basically doing twenty minute sessions.

Autumn 23 time constraints eased a little so I went to restart MadCow - realised I'd kept the weight but lost the strength, I just hadn't been working hard enough. Got two weeks into it three times and had to drop the weight (it's a 12 week programme and I was paggered after week two). I'm now eight weeks into the current reduced weight programme and right back into it. Think I'll complete this cycle, do another 12 weeks of MadCow and then switch back to 531, as MadCow is unsustainable after a while - adding weight every week.

Really frustrating having top sets at what used to be warm up sets, but I am where I am and will build back up. Need to remind myself that I have three children five and under, a full time job and I'm studying at times - there's only so much you can do!

Also looking to lose about two stone - when I was bigger I was stronger but not as happy - so heading back to where I was at my happiest weight wise.
I was annoyed at first as I had a 4th rep in me but my grip went on the bar. :lol: Over the moon now like.

Pleased with the strength increases I’m seeing at the minute. Lost half a stone since new year too.

Class that. What’s the ultra marathon?
Which grip are you using? If you're double overhand then have a look at a mixed grip - will feel odd at first but you'll gain from it.

Last edited:
Short answer - well, relatively.

Long answer - ramped back up last eight weeks. 2023 was an awful year - I'd got bigger in 2022 and stronger with it - at one point I doubled my comp pb on squat, comfortably. Start of 2023 life just got hectic, so I switched to a bodybuilding style and was basically doing twenty minute sessions.

Autumn 23 time constraints eased a little so I went to restart MadCow - realised I'd kept the weight but lost the strength, I just hadn't been working hard enough. Got two weeks into it three times and had to drop the weight (it's a 12 week programme and I was paggered after week two). I'm now eight weeks into the current reduced weight programme and right back into it. Think I'll complete this cycle, do another 12 weeks of MadCow and then switch back to 531, as MadCow is unsustainable after a while - adding weight every week.

Really frustrating having top sets at what used to be warm up sets, but I am where I am and will build back up. Need to remind myself that I have three children five and under, a full time job and I'm studying at times - there's only so much you can do!

Also looking to lose about two stone - when I was bigger I was stronger but not as happy - so heading back to where I was at my happiest weight wise.

Which grip are you using? If you're double overhand then have a look at a mixed grip - will feel odd at first but you'll gain from it.
I’ll give the mixed grip a go - normally use double overhand grip. Cheers!

How's everyone's training going? Just started a new block, volume has dropped because training for this ultramarathon in October has begun so working on keeping strength without too much volume. Deadlifting 130kg at RPE 6 when probably a few months ago that was my absolute max at 3 reps. It's true that nowt beats just getting in and being consistent eh.

How's everyone's training going? Just started a new block, volume has dropped because training for this ultramarathon in October has begun so working on keeping strength without too much volume. Deadlifting 130kg at RPE 6 when probably a few months ago that was my absolute max at 3 reps. It's true that nowt beats just getting in and being consistent eh.
Deadlifted today with straight bar, first time for over a year after coming away from them, started chasing numbers too much and was gonna hurt myself. Did 110kg x5 without feeling it which I was happy with for first time back, my pb was only 115kg for 8 when I stopped, so know I’ve built a lot of good core strength since.

Deadlifted today with straight bar, first time for over a year after coming away from them, started chasing numbers too much and was gonna hurt myself. Did 110kg x5 without feeling it which I was happy with for first time back, my pb was only 115kg for 8 when I stopped, so know I’ve built a lot of good core strength since.
Good feeling to know the effort you've put in has paid off mate

Coming off a terrible shoulder injury. I slept funny back in December and it hasn't been right since, to the point I was mid session with OHP and I had to drop the bar. It still isn't right, something with the ligaments deep inside. I tried some pressing today with only the bar and its grumbling away already 🙃 I have substituted it with lots of cycling, as any upper body pressing work aggravates it, but now my legs are getting worked 5 days a week and my thighs don't fit my jeans any more

Good feeling to know the effort you've put in has paid off mate
Aye been at it over a year now, 3 times a week with a run at the weekend, loving it, PBd my bench on Monday too, not chasing numbers too much tho just taking it slow and enjoying the journey.

The best thing is after a year of asking, my best mate has joined the 6am group with me, I’ve been a bit worried about his health and how much he drinks but it’s hard to say stuff without sounding like I’m on his case or patronising, so to see him take the first steps to getting healthy is a huge buzz.
Coming off a terrible shoulder injury. I slept funny back in December and it hasn't been right since, to the point I was mid session with OHP and I had to drop the bar. It still isn't right, something with the ligaments deep inside. I tried some pressing today with only the bar and its grumbling away already 🙃 I have substituted it with lots of cycling, as any upper body pressing work aggravates it, but now my legs are getting worked 5 days a week and my thighs don't fit my jeans any more
I need to work on my arse! Every time I lose weight it just fucks off.

Aye been at it over a year now, 3 times a week with a run at the weekend, loving it, PBd my bench on Monday too, not chasing numbers too much tho just taking it slow and enjoying the journey.

The best thing is after a year of asking, my best mate has joined the 6am group with me, I’ve been a bit worried about his health and how much he drinks but it’s hard to say stuff without sounding like I’m on his case or patronising, so to see him take the first steps to getting healthy is a huge buzz.

I need to work on my arse! Every time I lose weight it just fucks off.
Personally found that nothing builds the old badonkadonk quite like sprinting.

Jim Wendler on sprints and conditioning for powerlifters.

Not too shabby here, finished week 11 of 12 on MadCow this morning. Diary led to me training 4 days out of 5 over back end of last week, beginning of this, which was challenging! Finish off next week, do another 12 week MadCow and then see where I'm at I think.

Good work on your progress, very satisfying as you say. That's what I love about lifting. I am by no means a naturally gifted athlete, but with a hunger to learn and dedication, as you point out, you can keep pushing your limits and keep progressing.
Well done on the progress sir, interested to see where you can get to as you pick it back up.
Sounds rubbish, hope it sorts itself out soon!
Discs gone again so that’s deadlifting out for me for a couple of months until I fix it.

Just have to focus on bench now instead!
Rubbish, hopefully you can get some grip work in too for when you get back to deadlifting.

Last edited:
I’m 3 months into a 2 year plan …. Lolz.

Mainly focusing on improving bench press numbers while avoiding injuries, but a side effect is that I’m more muscular and a bit fatter.

Tues (dynamic) & Friday (max effort) Dave Tate programme.

Sunday it’s a bit of cardio, stretching, deadlifts. I also do some more stretching during the week at home it’s amazing how different I feel afterwards.

Last edited:
I’m 3 months into a 2 year plan …. Lolz.

Mainly focusing on improving bench press numbers while avoiding injuries, but a side effect is that I’m more muscular and a bit fatter.

Tues (dynamic) & Friday (max effort) Dave Tate programme.

Sunday it’s a bit of cardio, stretching, deadlifts. I also do some more stretching during the week at home it’s amazing how different I feel afterwards.
Do you follow any specific regimen for your stretching? Or have any recommendations which you’ve found have worked well for you?

Do you follow any specific regimen for your stretching? Or have any recommendations which you’ve found have worked well for you?
I’ve always struggled with stretching regularly but last July I started after being shocked at a health assessment.

I searched on YouTube for beginner routines and I settled on this one. I hold each stretch for 60 seconds instead of 30.

Last edited:

Back