Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Evening all.

Been looking at starting to lift weights. I’ve only ever been to classes which have ‘stations’ where it’s a mix of free weights and often cardio. I’m also a runner so that’s my main go to with fitness.

Tbh, the weights section of the gym terrifies me. I genuinely have no idea where to start. On the classes I previously did I never felt I was learning anything and it was mainly being encouraged to lift as heavy and as much as possible.

Any one got any suggestions? I have a council run gym near me which has a decent weights area but wouldn’t know where to start with it.
Where you based?

Some random thoughts:

I recommend Stronglifts (it's what I started with, so I'm biased, there are other good programmes such as 'Starting strength').

Download the (paid version of the) app, it takes the thinking out of it, which can be really helpful when you're starting off.

Don't be embarrassed by starting on 20kg, everyone has been there.

Consistency beats initial enthusiasm.

See if you can get someone (a trainer, someone experienced from the gym) to look at your form early - eliminating bad habits is much more difficult later, as I can testify to!

Enjoy - it's challenging, frustrating but also full of all kinds of benefits - some obvious, some you will only discover as you go on, and it's addictive - in a good way.

Evening all.

Been looking at starting to lift weights. I’ve only ever been to classes which have ‘stations’ where it’s a mix of free weights and often cardio. I’m also a runner so that’s my main go to with fitness.

Tbh, the weights section of the gym terrifies me. I genuinely have no idea where to start. On the classes I previously did I never felt I was learning anything and it was mainly being encouraged to lift as heavy and as much as possible.

Any one got any suggestions? I have a council run gym near me which has a decent weights area but wouldn’t know where to start with it.
If you can afford it I'd recommend getting a coach mate, best thing I ever did and a good one will do you a routine around your aims and needs. Can give you the details of the lad I use, Mark McQueen based in Glasgow but he does it all virtually and sending videos, calls etc.

Trashed my legs yesterday, upping the intensity. Main movements were v-squat for 12x120kg then backed off for 19x100kg. Then leg press 12x240kg then backed off to 19x160kg. Topped off with adductors, seated ham curls, leg extension and seated calf raises

Evening all.

I’d agree with the suggestion of using a coach to assess you and to teach you the correct techniques.

Then you need to answer these questions:

What do you want to achieve from ‘lifting weights’?
Do you want to increase muscle mass?
Do you want to be more muscular or do you need to be lean for your running? Is it to supplement your running?

How many times can you train per week?
Do you have any injuries or limitations?
Etc.

There are so many variables at work when someone starts to weight train. I don’t think that it’s sufficient to simply recommend an off the shelf training plan - without sounding disrespect to those who are trying to help.

It also isn’t reasonable to assume that everyone can perform the standard lifts with a proper range of motion, E.g. many people will never be able to squat properly.

Last edited:
I’d agree with the suggestion of using a coach to assess you and to teach you the correct techniques.

Then you need to answer these questions:

What do you want to achieve from ‘lifting weights’?
Do you want to increase muscle mass?
Do you want to be more muscular or do you need to be lean for your running? Is it to supplement your running?

How many times can you train per week?
Do you have any injuries or limitations?
Etc.

There are so many variables at work when someone starts to weight train. I don’t think that it’s sufficient to simply recommend an off the shelf training plan - without sounding disrespect to those who are trying to help.

It also isn’t reasonable to assume that everyone can perform the standard lifts with a proper range of motion, E.g. many people will never be able to squat properly.

My view is that there are so many variables at play that the exact right thing to do is start off the shelf, make sure you're nailing technique and then work from there on specifics after a year or two (or once you finish the programme).

I'd also argue the vast majority of people can perform the basic movements, if instructed correctly. The balls of my hips are too big for the sockets and I've got one leg an inch longer than the other, but can still comfortably squat to depth with a fairly wide stance and my toes well turned out. My problem was I tried for the first couple of years squatting with toes straight ahead and a narrow stance, because that's what the books said, a coach would have had me sorted in no time...

Dropped my body fat for last summer and maintained until now, overall my strength plateaued/went down a bit

Currently sitting on singles 160kg squat 210kg deadlift 110kg bench and 70kg shoulder press for reps. Bodyweight 83kg. Happy with that for now.

Would love to get into Olympic lifting but would need a PT to show me. I’ve only ever had 2 PT sessions in my life when I first started the gym nine years ago

Dropped my body fat for last summer and maintained until now, overall my strength plateaued/went down a bit

Currently sitting on singles 160kg squat 210kg deadlift 110kg bench and 70kg shoulder press for reps. Bodyweight 83kg. Happy with that for now.

Would love to get into Olympic lifting but would need a PT to show me. I’ve only ever had 2 PT sessions in my life when I first started the gym nine years ago

Ever thought about powerlifting? You already know the movements and assuming those are your one rep maxs (rather than doing all of those for reps) you wouldn't be far off qualifying for the Nationals with the ABPU (assuming you're not on gear) already...

After some advice…

Endurance sports are my bag so don’t spend much time in the gym, but starting to add more in for injury prevention etc. Whenever I do a “chest and tris” day, my tris feel wrecked but my chest doesn’t feel like it’s done anything.

I do incline dumbbell, bench press, tricep pull down, overhead cable press, converging chest press.

Cheers

How's the back @Joe Public?

On a volume block at the moment and I'm loving it but it's hard as fuck. 3 sets of 8s, just at RPE 8 this week, up to RPE 9 next week though, dreading it :lol:

It’s not bad where I injured it, that seems to have recovered well, but lower back giving me some grief now! I haven’t lifted heavy for a while, not trained too much with the Xmas break and stuff and am in Tenerife now, so hoping the break will do it good! Gonna take it a lot slower when I get back, in no rush, got goals for end of this year so plenty of time to get there.

Think I’m gonna go higher rep lower weight for a while and concentrate on core strength, flexibility and mobility, at my age it seems more important than being able to do pb’s every week.
After some advice…

Endurance sports are my bag so don’t spend much time in the gym, but starting to add more in for injury prevention etc. Whenever I do a “chest and tris” day, my tris feel wrecked but my chest doesn’t feel like it’s done anything.

I do incline dumbbell, bench press, tricep pull down, overhead cable press, converging chest press.

Cheers
Are you going close to failure?

Last edited:
It’s not bad where I injured it, that seems to have recovered well, but lower back giving me some grief now! I haven’t lifted heavy for a while, not trained too much with the Xmas break and stuff and am in Tenerife now, so hoping the break will do it good! Gonna take it a lot slower when I get back, in no rush, got goals for end of this year so plenty of time to get there.

Think I’m gonna go higher rep lower weight for a while and concentrate on core strength, flexibility and mobility, at my age it seems more important than being able to do pb’s every week.

Aye mate, I keep a note in my phone of my “PBs” and always lift to that weight.

Ever thought about powerlifting? You already know the movements and assuming those are your one rep maxs (rather than doing all of those for reps) you wouldn't be far off qualifying for the Nationals with the ABPU (assuming you're not on gear) already...

Never thought about it - I had a look and if I drop down to 75kg maintain strength on squats and deadlifts and improve my bench press then I could

I do need straps for my deadlift though as I’ve still got slight nerve damage in my hand from when I snapped my arm in an arm wrestling incident :rolleyes::lol:

Fair enough mate, hope thr restbdoes it good. Recently been told about how volume is where the work for strength for the showy heavy stuff is built so might be a good option for you.

If you want to learn oly lifting, I'd recommend Vika De Giorgi in Newcastle

After some advice…

Cheers
I'm no expert, but I'd reduce the tri exercises to 1 at the end of your workout and add in another chest exercise or two first, as they will be working your triceps anyway

After some advice…

Cheers
I'd agree with the post above, add in another chest exercise earlier and tri's at the end. My first exercise on my push days are flys on the pec dec machine, I really feel these in my chest and helps me engage it for the session. Also, maybe try a slightly wider grip with your bench perhaps? A closer grip will put more emphasis on your tris.

My push day looks like this:

Pec flys
Hammer strength inlcine chest press
Nautilus leverage incline press
shoulder press
cuffed lat raises
straight bar tri pushdown
rope tri pushdown

Back