Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Membership ended at my previous gym so I signed up for a different one because it offers family memberships and the missus and son want to go now too so it works out cheaper. That said, I had to wait 25 minutes for a squat rack today :cry: brutal.

Membership ended at my previous gym so I signed up for a different one because it offers family memberships and the missus and son want to go now too so it works out cheaper. That said, I had to wait 25 minutes for a squat rack today :cry: brutal.
The gym was rammed at 8pm last night and I ended up doing bench presses in a squat rack! I’d have moved if anyone specifically had to squat, but the 4 other available spots for bench pressing were occupied by yoofs staring at their phone.

The gym was rammed at 8pm last night and I ended up doing bench presses in a squat rack! I’d have moved if anyone specifically had to squat, but the 4 other available spots for bench pressing were occupied by yoofs staring at their phone.
Aye man, that was pretty much the same where I was too. Not too sure about this new gym I've joined either, think I've made a mistake 😕

I’m in Liverpool with work and it was the same at 9:30pm on Monday!

I get that people have to have rest between sets but they spend sooooo long on their phones.

I’m in Liverpool with work and it was the same at 9:30pm on Monday!

I get that people have to have rest between sets but they spend sooooo long on their phones.
One bloke wasn’t even near the bench, I went over to move the one plate that was on the bar, and then he magicked out of thin air like the shop keeper in Mr Benn. I put the plate back on and resumed my quest for a bench.

Aye man, that was pretty much the same where I was too. Not too sure about this new gym I've joined either, think I've made a mistake 😕
Where have you joined?

You tend to get all this in January, it’ll settle down a bit soon. Even in ultraflex this week there’s been people leaving weights on machines, something I’ve never seen much in there before.

Where have you joined?

You tend to get all this in January, it’ll settle down a bit soon. Even in ultraflex this week there’s been people leaving weights on machines, something I’ve never seen much in there before.
I'm up in Scotland mate, just joined the new gym in Helensburgh. It's only been open about 4 months so there's loads of new deals on plus it's January too so it's pretty busy. Got in on Wed morning at 7am and was quiet though so think that'll be my aim for the other 2 days I do cos at 9 today it was mobbed too. Just people standing around too, and the amount of plates just left lying about was f***ing frustrating.

I'm 5 weeks into a volume block now and sets of 8 are absolutely kicking my arse. Can't wait to go back to a strength block :lol:

I'm up in Scotland mate, just joined the new gym in Helensburgh. It's only been open about 4 months so there's loads of new deals on plus it's January too so it's pretty busy. Got in on Wed morning at 7am and was quiet though so think that'll be my aim for the other 2 days I do cos at 9 today it was mobbed too. Just people standing around too, and the amount of plates just left lying about was f***ing frustrating.

I'm 5 weeks into a volume block now and sets of 8 are absolutely kicking my arse. Can't wait to go back to a strength block :lol:
I've always lifted to a 5 rep kind of range, some are now 15 reps and feel like they go on forever!

Did sets of 12 on my deadlifts today but a lot lighter to concentrate on form. Still had to reduce to 8 for last set as could feel my back struggling.

Did sets of 12 on my deadlifts today but a lot lighter to concentrate on form. Still had to reduce to 8 for last set as could feel my back struggling.
12s mustbe brutal. By the time I get to 8 I want everything to end
I've always lifted to a 5 rep kind of range, some are now 15 reps and feel like they go on forever!
Some accessories I do are 15, main lifts don't go above 8. I think I'd genuinely be close to crying if I was doing 12+ on main lifts!

That's my volume block done now, up to 110kg deadlift for sets of 8 and it was moving easy by the end, squats at 65 and bench 60 both for sets of 8 too. Was a fund week, weird one because I had to check the bar and that I'd put the right weight on and never experienced that before! 2 week deload now before a strength block starts after that, pretty excited to see how it progresses now.

It’s taken a while but managed to get to 70kg working set on chest press on Monday! Always been my weakest lift and it seems to take ages just to move up a few kilos but staying patient. Goal is target body weight 90kg for 8 reps by the end of this year.

Will do one more week at that weight before switching up routine, coming off bench press and doing some different stuff before taking another run at it on next block.

I've restarted stronglifts this year after about 5 years!
Making decent progress on most lifts but my shoulders are letting me down, failed to do 40kg on shoulder press yesterday because of it and I know I'll struggle on my bench tomorrow.
I've got some resistance bands at home, is it worth doing rotator cuff exercises on my off days to strengthen them, or better to rest?

I've restarted stronglifts this year after about 5 years!
Making decent progress on most lifts but my shoulders are letting me down, failed to do 40kg on shoulder press yesterday because of it and I know I'll struggle on my bench tomorrow.
I've got some resistance bands at home, is it worth doing rotator cuff exercises on my off days to strengthen them, or better to rest?

It’s worth doing rotator cuff exercises in general to support their health. I’ve found now I’ve ticked over into my 30s that area of my body gives me a lot of grief :lol:

Back