Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Great lift, he'd get red lighted in a powerlifting compfor the double dip but absolutely class to see that weight being picked up off the floor, he didn't look like he had a lot left there though unless it was just the pressure.

Sat in my garden with a beer watching it

Is it wrong to lift everyday or is it only really an issue when I get to real heavy stuff? I'm not aching the next day or feel fatigued?

Stronglifts is a linear progression programme, you add 2.5kg to lifts per session until you fail, 5kg for deadlift iirc.
Bit off topic but do you know of a workout routine that i can do over 5 days? Every one ive been looking at requires a f***ing full on gym and shit. What i have is a bench, bar, (dumbell bar as well) lots of weights and an e z curl bar. I just want a youtube video or a guide to start pumping some iron correctly.

Bit off topic but do you know of a workout routine that i can do over 5 days? Every one ive been looking at requires a f***ing full on gym and shit. What i have is a bench, bar, (dumbell bar as well) lots of weights and an e z curl bar. I just want a youtube video or a guide to start pumping some iron correctly.
I’m not an expert but most programmes are a variation of push-pull movements and leg exercises.

You could do upper body pull on Monday, legs Tuesday, upper push Wednesday, legs Thursday, pull on Friday. The idea is that the same muscle groups aren’t worked on consecutive days.

As for exercises take a look at Jeff cavaliere on YouTube and use body weight exercises if necessary.

I’m not an expert but most programmes are a variation of push-pull movements and leg exercises.

You could do upper body pull on Monday, legs Tuesday, upper push Wednesday, legs Thursday, pull on Friday. The idea is that the same muscle groups aren’t worked on consecutive days.

As for exercises take a look at Jeff cavaliere on YouTube and use body weight exercises if necessary.
Ill check him out now mate cheers.

Edit: I mean ill watch his vids not, ya nar.

I was doing 5x5 strong lifts but only up to 27kg squats. Not really feeling effects so was wondering go daily until i do, or just bump the weight up.

Great to hear you started on Stronglifts - I found it a really positive routine.

How did you manage to get to 27kg on squats? As @Stevie Freestein II said, on Stronglifts you progress at 2.5kg per session until you start to fail, so the closest would be 27.5kg (unless you missed the .5kg off the end of don't have the weight combos for that) and that would be session three.

If you aren't finding Stronglifts challenging enough at the moment then you can play with the sets - rather than do 5*5 do 1*15 and 1* 10 (or some other split) to get to the 25 reps. Stronglifts will be really easy to start with but believe me it soon ramps up. And enjoy the buzz you get from flying through these early workouts - I found that it provides inspiration as things do get heavier.

If I were you, and feel free to ignore this, I would focus on getting into a groove that you're confident you can continue with once lockdown is over. I.e. if you think you'll be able to train five days a week when things return to 'normality', crack on, if that isn't realistic then look at something else (e.g. Stronglifts three times a week). You could also look at doing Stronglifts every other day (i.e. missing one of the rest days each week). I saw this over the weekend and thought of your posts actually:

In my experience, starting strength training is usually linked with nutrition too - if you are wanting to dedicate the time every day to do something to progress in this area, perhaps you could read up/listen to things about nutrition? Plenty of good stuff out there but I found the Physique Science Radio podcasts particularly useful:

Stronglifts also has a massive website which is worth reading through if you're wanting to get into the detail:

StrongLifts 5×5: Get Stronger by Lifting Weights only 3x/Week

Hope the above helps mate.

Great to hear you started on Stronglifts - I found it a really positive routine.

How did you manage to get to 27kg on squats? As @Stevie Freestein II said, on Stronglifts you progress at 2.5kg per session until you start to fail, so the closest would be 27.5kg (unless you missed the .5kg off the end of don't have the weight combos for that) and that would be session three.

If you aren't finding Stronglifts challenging enough at the moment then you can play with the sets - rather than do 5*5 do 1*15 and 1* 10 (or some other split) to get to the 25 reps. Stronglifts will be really easy to start with but believe me it soon ramps up. And enjoy the buzz you get from flying through these early workouts - I found that it provides inspiration as things do get heavier.

If I were you, and feel free to ignore this, I would focus on getting into a groove that you're confident you can continue with once lockdown is over. I.e. if you think you'll be able to train five days a week when things return to 'normality', crack on, if that isn't realistic then look at something else (e.g. Stronglifts three times a week). You could also look at doing Stronglifts every other day (i.e. missing one of the rest days each week). I saw this over the weekend and thought of your posts actually:

In my experience, starting strength training is usually linked with nutrition too - if you are wanting to dedicate the time every day to do something to progress in this area, perhaps you could read up/listen to things about nutrition? Plenty of good stuff out there but I found the Physique Science Radio podcasts particularly useful:

Stronglifts also has a massive website which is worth reading through if you're wanting to get into the detail:

StrongLifts 5×5: Get Stronger by Lifting Weights only 3x/Week

Hope the above helps mate.
It's helps alot mate thank you!!!! And yes it was 27.5kg, :)

Stupid question time!

After 2 months of lockdown I have got a bench and dumbbells. I have done weightlifting for 3 years but never been big, just a nice size chest and shoulders I guess. Now thinking of doing more though.

I weigh 180lbs. If I wanted to eat 180g of protein a day is that just eating 180g of chicken or do I need to each much more to get that amount of protein from it?

Stupid question time!

After 2 months of lockdown I have got a bench and dumbbells. I have done weightlifting for 3 years but never been big, just a nice size chest and shoulders I guess. Now thinking of doing more though.

I weigh 180lbs. If I wanted to eat 180g of protein a day is that just eating 180g of chicken or do I need to each much more to get that amount of protein from it?

You'll need to eat a lot more mate, there's other constituents (e.g. water) in there too. If you Google the food you're looking at 'nutritional information' you'll find a breakdown - and from there work out how much protein is in there.

Eating 1g/lb is above what the majority of the literature recommends you need, but is a very simple metric to remember.

I get a bit mixed up on the food side of things tbh.

So I think 500g of raw chicken breast will give me 150g of protein. That's seems about right for a day once I add in protein I will get from other food without trying. I think.

Is it true your body can only absorb 30g at a time? I am getting many conflicting answers from different sites.

Last edited:

Back