Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
I’m not an expert, but I’d say Squats, deadlifts, glute bridges/pelvic thrusts.

My current programme has a posterior chain day which is Romanian Deadlift, glute bridges, hyper extensions and sumo deadlift in the first 8 weeks. The last 4 weeks of it includes KB swings and good mornings.
cheers Mick, if i'm off work for a week afterwards I'll let you know :D

are hyper extensions for back ?
started squats (dont think doing them right as feel in quads not glutes??) , deadlifts and hip bridges - im assuming hip bridges and glute brisges are same

was in bad bike crash few weeks back and still getting pain in hip/pelvis - told need to start programme to strengthen hip and glutes , sit all day so always had weak glutes which isnt ideal
My hips are weak from sitting at a desk.

I have been using a standing desk for a few hours a day, and I do Pilates.

If your squats aren’t great then try goblet squats and lunges/split squats. The lunges are quite difficult with a bar on your back, even with relatively light weights. I do 5x5 with 40kg at present, and it has highlighted some big imbalances in leg strength.

Arnold’s are cancelled apart from the Bodybuilding and Strongman comps due to Coronavirus.

Wow, that's a big blow and a great shame. Pleased the strongman is going ahead like as there are some people I follow on Instagram from Darlo who've flown out to compete. Rogue are live streaming the Open strongman again via You Tube if anyone's interested.

Anyone recommend something I can squat with and bench with for someone who's broke? Already got a bar and weights.
Squat with a heavy dumbbell held near your chest , ideally if can get feet on blocks (or bricks or summit) so can squat deeper ?
Weirdly I've come on here to ask the same question :lol:
Try pointing feet outwards a bit , let me know if works before I try it :D I did read that works and push your arse right back

Last edited:
Squat with a heavy dumbbell held near your chest , ideally if can get feet on blocks (or bricks or summit) so can squat deeper ?

Try pointing feet outwards a bit , let me know if works before I try it :D I did read that works and push your arse right back
I've been watching Eddie coan on Instagram and I think I've ended up over complicating it to the point I'm just going on leg press :lol:

I’ve hated the super heavy 3x3 sessions of the final phase of my Terry Holland’s programme, so I’ve taken all the bits I’ve enjoyed from the 3 phases and put together a 3x8/5x5 programme based on it. Did the lower body session last night and it was much more enjoyable than the last 2 or 3 weeks have been.

Last edited:
I’ve hated the super heavy 3x3 sessions of the final phase of my Terry Holland’s programme, so I’ve taken all the bits I’ve enjoyed from the 3 phases and put together a 3x8/5x5 programme based on it. Did the lower body session last night and it was much more enjoyable than the last 2 or 3 weeks have been.

It's great to get to that point where you're comfortable creating your own programme isn't it? As I've shared on here a few times, bench has been my weakness. So I've taken the six week bench programme shared on here recently and concertinaed it into four weeks. Bench has gone from 77.5kg to 85kg (achieved this morning) in just over three months. 85kg was comfortable too - going to go for 90kg at the weekend.

Also pulled 150kg for 5 earlier this week, another PB. My deadlift has really come on since finishing Stronglifts. I think the constant heavy squatting on Stronglifts held my deadlift back - having a lighter squat day on my deadlift day has really helped. Tried to pull 185kg this morning and couldn't shift it an inch, may be there on another day though.

Pleased with progress at the moment - the stone that I've put on through stress eating (sound familiar @Mickdundee ?) has had an added side effect of helping with strength I think. I think the main thing is consistency though - slowly add to the bar every week and you look at how far you've come over a couple of years and think wow! I remember failing to pull 100kg for five first time I tried...

I think the main thing is consistency though - slowly add to the bar every week and you look at how far you've come over a couple of years and think wow! I remember failing to pull 100kg for five first time I tried...
I’m in the unfortunate position of having had effectively a 5 year break from gym/weights stuff thanks to having kids so I remember pulling 180kg for 5 reps at 13st10 (I was only about 28/29 then though). My maximum at the moment is 5reps at 140kg at 14st6.5 (age 35). I’ll get back up there though!

I do much prefer the legs/push/pull/posterior chain split of the TH programme to the “squat every session with a push and a pull” of Stronglifts. I see that this month’s Men’s Health is promoting a similar squat/push/pull/hinge programme as well so obviously Tel was ahead of the trend!

Last edited:
Does anyone else tighten up to the point of failure when going for new on flat bench? I get apprehensive and tight hamstring normally goes starts as soon as I load the extra plates

Does anyone else tighten up to the point of failure when going for new on flat bench? I get apprehensive and tight hamstring normally goes starts as soon as I load the extra plates
It's fairly common easy solution is to aim for a PR more often and it becomes less of an "event" .

Pretty much all competitions have been postponed for now.

It's fairly common easy solution is to aim for a PR more often and it becomes less of an "event" .

Pretty much all competitions have been postponed for now.
Will post how I get on the jump from 145kg even to 150kg seems that bridge to far but, put a lot of lat work in and moved on to 5*5 work out for flat bench never really tried singles always a double work my way up to 145kg doubles can be a pain finding a spotter at 6 am however.

Anyone suffered from tendonitis before? Self diagnosis but I have soreness in my left elbow. Not when moving it, only to the touch. Does it require complete rest to heal? My proposal is to keep my bench programme the same but drop the weights on OHP and row to try and rest it more that way, but would appreciate hearing of anyone else's experience. Thanks.

Anyone suffered from tendonitis before? Self diagnosis but I have soreness in my left elbow. Not when moving it, only to the touch. Does it require complete rest to heal? My proposal is to keep my bench programme the same but drop the weights on OHP and row to try and rest it more that way, but would appreciate hearing of anyone else's experience. Thanks.
Had it terribly in both Achilles. Trained through with light weight, tried resistance band work, and other physio movements, but the only thing that fixed it was complete rest over a matter of months not weeks :(

Back