Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Did you manage to see it? He momentarily locked it out but wasn't close to having it under enough control to get the down signal. Shame.
I was gutted for him. He seems like one of the good guys of strongman and now he’s off the rigs he’s finally able to reach his potential. He’s the same age and height as me but about 9 or 10 stone heavier.

Not sure I’ll bother watching Tom this weekend since it’s just him beating his own record from last year. It doesn’t have the same draw as “Thor v Eddie” the other week, or Luke trying to beat a record that’s stood for 5 years.

Last edited:
I was gutted for him. He seems like one of the good guys of strongman and now he’s off the rigs he’s finally able to reach his potential. He’s the same age and height as me but about 9 or 10 stone heavier.

Not sure I’ll bother watching Tom this weekend since it’s just him beating his own record from last year. It doesn’t have the same draw as “Thor v Eddie” the other week, or Luke trying to beat a record that’s stood for 5 years.

Yeah, Luke is a great entertainer and had put the effort in, especially disappointing that he's achieved it in training.

I'm still going to watch Tom - not a lot else to go on at the moment live sports wise!

Last edited:
Post contains spoilers regarding Stoltman (albeit if you're interested, I imagine you'll know or have seen it):

Very comfortable for Tom - not long now for the 300kg, he reckons it'll be done in twelve weeks.

Looks as if we've seen the last of Thor competing in the UK for a while unfortunately, seems like he and Giants Live have fallen out in a big way after their documentary (which, having watched it, was pretty poor). More details, including the videos in the below:

I'm sure there are wrongs on both sides (in particular the slowed down 'non-handshake' [which happened in reality]), but not good for the sport that the guy with the potential to be the best ever IMO probably won't appear in the largest competitions going forwards (until WUS takes over Giants Live that is!).

On a personal note training wise I'm struggling at the moment. Despite the blessing of having access to all my gear (which I don't take for granted) arrival of baby number two (another blessing, which I don't take for granted) means I'm on toddler patrol first thing - meaning I'm restricted to half an hour in the gym (unless I got up before 5am, which ain't happening). So I've sacked off the Six week bench press solution programme I was having great success with and basically stripped everything back. Still hoping to bench two plates by the end of this year but had hoped to get it done early. Probably not helping that I'm cutting either, having stuck a stone on since mid-November after a tough time at work. Head's in a better place now so shifting the weight, but think the lifts are suffering as a result. Still, I'm in it for the long haul and I'll get to where I want to be, just may take me longer than I'd hoped for!

Looking to build some mass over the next few months and fancy trying German volume training which is sets of 10x10 on the compound lifts. I’ve been doing Wendler for the last 6 months alongside CrossFit workouts but I’m stopping the Wendler 531 stuff.

Has anyone had experience of the volume stuff and does it get you big?

Looking to build some mass over the next few months and fancy trying German volume training which is sets of 10x10 on the compound lifts. I’ve been doing Wendler for the last 6 months alongside CrossFit workouts but I’m stopping the Wendler 531 stuff.

Eating gets you big gvt will build mass like through cell volume increases iirc but there's easier ways to get similar results.

More efficient ways, especially if not on PEDs.

What sort of training split and style do you most enjoy? Ultimately efficiency is dictated in some part by what you enjoy and will put the most effort in to.

The last few months I’ve done Wendler and then a cardio workout. The lifts have been squat, deadlift, bench and press but I’ll tend to do a cardio based workout after the lifts.

An example would be 3x5 back squats strength session followed by 30 back squats at body weight and a 1 mile run for time. I only run once a week as I’ve heard that it’s not great if you are trying to gain some muscle mass.

I’ll normally train 6 days a week ie 3 on one off

Last edited:
Anyone see that Rob Kearney broke (or didn't, depending on your point of view!) the American log press record on Saturday? He's shooting for the world record now - think 2021 could be an interesting year for that!

Excited for this Saturday too - Heinla vs Pritchett for 400kg deadlift for reps and then Julius Maddox going for the bench world record, should be good viewing.

Shahlei is putting out some really interesting content on YouTube at the moment too (it's Biglozofficial). Doing interviews with loads of people - Sebastian Oreb (Australian strength coach, coaches the likes of Thor) and Brycey being two of the highlights.

Post contains spoilers:

Maddox didn't break the bench record. Because they loaded the bar incorrectly. It wasn't even. Shahlei has put a clip of it on Facebook. Unbelievable.

Post contains spoilers:

Maddox didn't break the bench record. Because they loaded the bar incorrectly. It wasn't even. Shahlei has put a clip of it on Facebook. Unbelievable.
Very unfortunate, worse than that was the amount of people who had gone to watch, the USA is an embarrassing country sometimes like.

This WUS series is definitely struggling with the multiple athlete proposition.

Yesterday, Shivlyakov and Hollands were going for the Masters deadlift World record.

Announced Shiv was going for 420kg for his opener (turned out to be 421kg).

Then, for a good while, were talking about Holland's going for 420 for his opener (was actually 400kg).

Shiv pulled 421 at the second attempt, Holland's pulling 420.

They then had Hollands pulling 430 - which would have been pointless as that was the current record. In any case Hollands failed. Turned out afterwards it was actually 438.

Shiv then failed his final attempt, which was 431 (which they announced correctly).

From their perspective it was fortunate they both failed the last one really - as if both had pulled them they would have announced Shiv as the new record holder, despite Hollands having pulled more before Shiv even went...

Back