Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Absolute stinker for me on Saturday - no PB's achieved. Had a bad night's sleep with my diabetes the night before - a prolonged hypo which I over-corrected for and ended up fighting hyperglycemia during the night. Then ended up doing a full dog walk prior to lifting to fit in with the rest of the day (usually I'll just do a short one before training and take them out for a full walk after). Finally, I had my cannula in my stomach and my weight belt just put pressure on the edge of it, made me suitably uncomfortable! Still, these things happen!

Squat - previous PB 145 - went for 146, failed miserably. Then failed at 140. Best was 130 in the warm up. Especially disappointing as I'd done 130 for a double the previous weekend as my top set.

Bench - previous PB 75 - this was what I was really hoping to improve on after spending six weeks concentrating on it. Failed miserably at 90. Failed at 85 and then 80. Best was 70 in the warm up.

Deadlift - previous best 150 - went for 160 and failed. Schnauzer decided to boot off at next door's gardener after minute 4 of my 5 minute rest before attempting this, which didn't help my frame of mind. Didn't try 155 as was sick by then!

Really disappointed but not disheartened - testing my five rep max's this morning and Thursday, away for the weekend and then starting Madcow 5x5 next Tuesday - I believe that's a twelve week programme and then will test my 1rm's again, and hopefully see some improvement.

Agree with @daveydavey that it would be useful to know what your objectives are and what programme you're going to follow. For instance, if you were going to do Stronglifts (which I'd recommend from personal experience) your 50kg would only last you about five weeks, if that, and then you'd need to be looking to buy more weights.

There was a lad looking to sell 100kg of weights - thread is probably still on the front page here - may be worth giving him a shout. Although they were 1" (as opposed to 2" Olympics) - I started off with 1" but outgrew them within about 10 months, and ended up buying 2", so buying twice...

The set-up that I'm currently working with is a squat stand (with spotters arms, which are vital as I train alone), flat bench (wish I'd bought an adjustable one in retrospect), a 7 foot bar (anything less than a standard 7 foot probably won't be 20kg and it's a pain loading a bar just to get to 20kg to start with, again, I learned this the hard way!) and then plates from Powerhouse fitness. If you have a look on Ebay etc. you'll probably pick a similar set-up up second hand relatively cheaply, as long as you've got the space.

I find it astounding that you can only bench 75kg but can squat that heavy. My conclusion is you're probably not squatting properly.

Got a request to you good people, similar to a request I made a while back. I am looking for the simplest protein rich meals to prepare so I can up my levels.

I ask as I love weightlifting and am really pleased with what I have achieved over the last couple of years and have a decent shape to me now but would love to get a bit bigger. That is something that I think would kick on my enthusiasm for it all.

I weigh around 180lbs but I reckon I was only having around 80 grams of protein a day. I have upped that to about 110 - 120 grams in the past few days but am aware that I still need more if I want to grow further.

The tricky bit is that I really struggle with organising, cooking and varying my food. I get very mixed up (due to aspergers) on food and find introducing something new quite difficult. Right now I have chicken salad each lunch and most days have tuna salad for dinner. I also have a protein shake after work out. I don't care so much for how it tastes as I don't really like food an awful lot. The main thing i think is to find something really simple to buy or to prepare in advance with decent levels of protein (and wont make me fat!) and try and introduce that over time.

Any tips you can offer are appreciated!

(A protein shake when I wake up is one simple way I guess)

Tesco do some decent chicken meals on 2 for 6 quid. I usually get the hunters or spinach and ricotta but there's others. Low calories and loads of protein. Usually have them with new potatoes.

Last edited:
Looks like I’m going to take to the platform and compete in September then.

My main goal is to bench 150kg in it.

Should also add - hoping to compete as a 93kg.

At 6’1 I’m obviously too tall for that but I’m currently that weight and not gaining any, whilst my lifts are all up.
Ipf wanker

Also

Sbd wanker

And

Squat depth wanker.

I'll do more as I think of them.

Have you guessed which meet I’m going to like? (It is a GBPF sanctioned one like).
Just based on being in the 93kg class, ya know if I wasn't such a pussy who's wife wouldn't let me I'd enter too and stalk you.

Can't remember if I said but I'm moving up to the 100s now I can't stay in the 90s anymore it takes too much out of me to make weight.

Evening all, just looking for a spot of advice. I'm just starting out, building muscle and have been using a pull up bar and press ups but feel like I need to step it up, so looking at weights. Does this seem like a decent this to purchase or would something else be more beneficial? Buy Opti Vinyl Barbell and Dumbbell Set - 50kg | Dumbbells | Argos

Any advice welcome.
You don't necessarily need weights to progress. Google the recommended routine on reddit bodyweightfitness.

I find it astounding that you can only bench 75kg but can squat that heavy. My conclusion is you're probably not squatting properly.

Tesco do some decent chicken meals on 2 for 6 quid. I usually get the hunters or spinach and ricotta but there's others. Low calories and loads of protein. Usually have them with new potatoes.

Genuine question, what depth of knowledge do you base your conclusion on? If you were to say you have been a PT for 20 years and worked with 100's of competitive powerlifters I'd be likely to pay more credence than if you were someone who went to the gym March - June to 'tone up' ahead of a holiday. I'm guessing the likelihood is somewhere in the middle?

To give it some context I've been training for about eighteen months now, squatting three times a week other than when on holiday abroad (probably a couple of weeks) or ill (maybe four or five sessions). During that time I've squatted 50% more volume wise than benching and an even greater proportion compared to deadlift (as the programme I followed had one working set of deadlift every other session).

I've only recently begun to use a belt on the deadlift and my deadlift is higher than my squat, which based on others' numbers is reasonable. And you can't cheat a deadlift - you know if you've locked it out or not.

I walk regularly (which should help the legs) but have a desk job which involves me spending the majority of my time typing, which means I'm very inflexible in the shoulders unfortunately.

I've got a friend of the family who's competed in bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman off and on for years, and he wasn't massively surprised at my numbers when I was chatting to him, saying it took years for him to build a good bench.

However, I haven't videoed myself squatting for a long time - going to see if I can set my phone up on Sunday and have a gander.

Bit intimidating coming on here after browsing through. Just started in a basic gym. Seems to have what i need but its next to being free to use so cant grumble. Never done weights or training before but looking to bulk up a bit and get bit stronger.
Work only allows me to go about 3/4 times max a week. Sometimes only twice. Been doing that for about 5 weeks now. Ive increased weight on nearly everything which im happy about as im obviously gaining strength.
Still a long way to go as reading some of the weights people lift on here and from what mates at work do, im way off. Benching as much as i can do after 3 sets i struggle to get the last couple of reps up. Basically doing this for all of the lifts im doing and coming out knackered but enjoying it.
Reason im looking to bulk up a bit and gain some strength is it makes it a little easier at work sometimes. Seen a little bit of difference in tone of arms and shoulders after 3/4 weeks and maybe a little growth but seems to have slowed. Is this normal?

Genuine question, what depth of knowledge do you base your conclusion on? If you were to say you have been a PT for 20 years and worked with 100's of competitive powerlifters I'd be likely to pay more credence than if you were someone who went to the gym March - June to 'tone up' ahead of a holiday. I'm guessing the likelihood is somewhere in the middle?

To give it some context I've been training for about eighteen months now, squatting three times a week other than when on holiday abroad (probably a couple of weeks) or ill (maybe four or five sessions). During that time I've squatted 50% more volume wise than benching and an even greater proportion compared to deadlift (as the programme I followed had one working set of deadlift every other session).

I've only recently begun to use a belt on the deadlift and my deadlift is higher than my squat, which based on others' numbers is reasonable. And you can't cheat a deadlift - you know if you've locked it out or not.

I walk regularly (which should help the legs) but have a desk job which involves me spending the majority of my time typing, which means I'm very inflexible in the shoulders unfortunately.

I've got a friend of the family who's competed in bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman off and on for years, and he wasn't massively surprised at my numbers when I was chatting to him, saying it took years for him to build a good bench.

However, I haven't videoed myself squatting for a long time - going to see if I can set my phone up on Sunday and have a gander.
dinnit bite man, my figures in terms of ratio's were similar. My upper body stuff was WAY lower than my squats and deads.

I'm not a pt but i've lifted seriously for about 18 months and my experience is that I haven't seen anybody at all in my gym in that time squatting those numbers but see people benching more than 75 every visit. So yeah it's really weird to be that strong down low and that weak up top. Not saying it's impossible but I'm sceptical

dinnit bite man, my figures in terms of ratio's were similar. My upper body stuff was WAY lower than my squats and deads.

Ye probably weren't squatting right either

Last edited:
I'm not a pt but i've lifted seriously for about 18 months and my experience is that I haven't seen anybody at all in my gym in that time squatting those numbers but see people benching more than 75 every visit. So yeah it's really weird to be that strong down low and that weak up top. Not saying it's impossible but I'm sceptical

Ye probably weren't squatting right either
Best tell Greg Everett that who said I had good form then

Best tell Greg Everett that who said I had good form then

I didn't say it was impossible to be an animal down low and a comparative pussy up top, I was merely saying the chances are slim and that the odds are that something is up. If anything I'd accept it the other way around. Heavy squatting should give you such a huge test release that it aids your upper body workouts. I'm the biggest squat advocate. I'm not a heavy set lad and could bench 75 within a couple of months and even now after 18 months only squat 100 for my 5x5 sets. I haven't seen anyone in my gym doing 140kg squats so to believe that some kid that can only bench 75kg is doing it somewhere else is surprising. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt but whatever

Bit intimidating coming on here after browsing through. Just started in a basic gym. Seems to have what i need but its next to being free to use so cant grumble. Never done weights or training before but looking to bulk up a bit and get bit stronger.
Work only allows me to go about 3/4 times max a week. Sometimes only twice. Been doing that for about 5 weeks now. Ive increased weight on nearly everything which im happy about as im obviously gaining strength.
Still a long way to go as reading some of the weights people lift on here and from what mates at work do, im way off. Benching as much as i can do after 3 sets i struggle to get the last couple of reps up. Basically doing this for all of the lifts im doing and coming out knackered but enjoying it.
Reason im looking to bulk up a bit and gain some strength is it makes it a little easier at work sometimes. Seen a little bit of difference in tone of arms and shoulders after 3/4 weeks and maybe a little growth but seems to have slowed. Is this normal?
Don’t compare yourself to others - it’s a personal journey and you should only compete against yourself.

Also you may be happier if you don’t just focus on the numbers. Even if/when you do improve you will stall eventually and you will also hit a natural limit.

I now set myself targets based on practical body weight tests, e.g. doing monkey bars, increasing the amount of press ups that I can, maintaining a physique that means that I’m not embarrassed when I take the kids swimming etc.

If you are enjoying it then carry on, you will also need to consider what you’re eating if the aim is to ‘bulk up’.

Don’t compare yourself to others - it’s a personal journey and you should only compete against yourself.

Also you may be happier if you don’t just focus on the numbers. Even if/when you do improve you will stall eventually and you will also hit a natural limit.

I now set myself targets based on practical body weight tests, e.g. doing monkey bars, increasing the amount of press ups that I can, maintaining a physique that means that I’m not embarrassed when I take the kids swimming etc.

If you are enjoying it then carry on, you will also need to consider what you’re eating if the aim is to ‘bulk up’.

Second this. Focus on technique over numbers. Remember that what you're lifting is all relative to your body weight and that you can't out train a bad diet and you'll go far

I didn't say it was impossible to be an animal down low and a comparative pussy up top, I was merely saying the chances are slim and that the odds are that something is up. If anything I'd accept it the other way around. Heavy squatting should give you such a huge test release that it aids your upper body workouts. I'm the biggest squat advocate. I'm not a heavy set lad and could bench 75 within a couple of months and even now after 18 months only squat 100 for my 5x5 sets. I haven't seen anyone in my gym doing 140kg squats so to believe that some kid that can only bench 75kg is doing it somewhere else is surprising. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt but whatever
Well for me I was Oly lifting so bench was almost and accessory, squatting various variations 3 times a week but always ass to grass as that’s where you were in the catch. Bench is the lift most young lads concentrate on when they first start training. I would bench 100kg on a good day but squats were near double that and dead well over 200kg.

I’m shocked you haven’t seen anyone squat over 3 plates after 18 months of training tbh

Thanks for the advice. Looking at keeping protein intake at over 100g at least per day, even on rest days. I guess there is a lot more to it than that though

He's talking out of his arse, loads of powerlifters have 1 relatively weak lift.

Well for me I was Oly lifting so bench was almost and accessory, squatting various variations 3 times a week but always ass to grass as that’s where you were in the catch. Bench is the lift most young lads concentrate on when they first start training. I would bench 100kg on a good day but squats were near double that and dead well over 200kg.

I’m shocked you haven’t seen anyone squat over 3 plates after 18 months of training tbh
You haven't ever deadlifted 200kg, I think we all know who the deadlift king of the SMB is these days.

Last edited:

Back