Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
Havent trained since last Friday when my hammy went, then pinged my back picking @moshpit up on Sunday. Gonna feel it out today with some gentle deadlifts, wish me luck- not gonna do owt daft though
Get a sports/trigger point massage mate. Had one last night at the box after and feel loads better.

Just seen his photo with Dave.

For a man who complained he never saw his wife and kids whilst trying to be WSM, he seems to spend less time at home now he’s ‘retired’ :lol:

Suppose he’s trying to make sure they’re financially comfortable though.

He's a lump mind. I never really ask these people for pictures or anything but usually have a bit of banter and he seems really down to earth.

I’m now confident I can bench over 140kg for a single again.

Not going to be trying any singles for 9 weeks but based on my last single and the weight I hit for 10 reps last night it’s there.

That 150kg in a meet in September looks very achievable now.

He's a lump mind. I never really ask these people for pictures or anything but usually have a bit of banter and he seems really down to earth.

I've met him a couple of times at strongman events and he's definitely got the charisma to work in TV - will be interesting to watch the show he's doing with Shaw, Oberst and Best on historical feats of strength.

I’m now confident I can bench over 140kg for a single again.

Not going to be trying any singles for 9 weeks but based on my last single and the weight I hit for 10 reps last night it’s there.

That 150kg in a meet in September looks very achievable now.

Sounding good - what bodyweight will that be at?

I'm coming to the end of week two on Madcow - weights are nice and light at the moment so ploughing through the sessions in record time, still paggered at the end like as not taking a rest between sets really. Set it to exceed my five rep max's in week six, so it'll soon get much harder!

Last edited:
Tested my hammy with some light squats last night- no pain, cramping or tightness
Begin a 6 week deadlift program on Sunday night to try to bust a plateau, so squats will only be once a week
Haway!

Tested my hammy with some light squats last night- no pain, cramping or tightness
Begin a 6 week deadlift program on Sunday night to try to bust a plateau, so squats will only be once a week
Haway!

Glad to hear it went well. What does the deadlift programme involve? I'm deadlifting once a week on Madcow but more sets than I've done previously, so hopefully that should compensate.

Introducing floor press for the first time ever in my routine as I am losing momentum a lot just above the chest.

100kg x 4 at an RPE of 8 in my first every time trying it last week.

Top set of x 4 at RPE 9 called for tonight.

Possibly looking at 100kg again given I did competition bench last night and then 3 second paused bench. Bit fatigued.

That’s the nice thing about RPE based training. Accounts for fatigue. You haven’t failed if you can’t hit a specific weight due to being fucked, you’re just accumulating fatigue.

Introducing floor press for the first time ever in my routine as I am losing momentum a lot just above the chest.

100kg x 4 at an RPE of 8 in my first every time trying it last week.

Top set of x 4 at RPE 9 called for tonight.

Possibly looking at 100kg again given I did competition bench last night and then 3 second paused bench. Bit fatigued.

That’s the nice thing about RPE based training. Accounts for fatigue. You haven’t failed if you can’t hit a specific weight due to being fucked, you’re just accumulating fatigue.

Managed 102.5kg x 4 on floor press @ RPE9

I’m really not used to it like, doesn’t feel comfortable at all :lol:

Tonight
3 count pause squats to x 5 @ 9
Touch and go bench to x 6 @ 9
Strict press to x 6 @ 9

All with load drop sets after, then some arm work.

Managed 102.5kg x 4 on floor press @ RPE9

I’m really not used to it like, doesn’t feel comfortable at all :lol:

Tonight
3 count pause squats to x 5 @ 9
Touch and go bench to x 6 @ 9
Strict press to x 6 @ 9

All with load drop sets after, then some arm work.
Have you ever used a slingshot? I've used that before as an overload, floor press is probably a better exercise but slingshot is just more convenient when pushed for time.

Have you ever used a slingshot? I've used that before as an overload, floor press is probably a better exercise but slingshot is just more convenient when pushed for time.

Nah never used it. I have some slingshot elbow cuffs which I was using when I was having some elbow pain but that’s cleared up now.

I’m not really using the floor press for overload either as currently I can’t floor press more than I can on standard bench. It’s to deal with a specific weakness about 2-4 inches off my chest.

Had to bunch my training up into 4 consecutive days this week as I’m away at the weekend and I’m battered. Same again next week as I’m away on a stag do :lol:

First time I’ve not managed to up the weight on squat in 2.5 months or so.

I know I didn’t eat enough over the weekend and more or less matched what I did last week so not a total failure. Not every session will go well. Was more a technical failure on the planned penultimate rep which made me not take the final rep I had planned. Was caused by how heavy the weight felt.

One of those where I’d have pushed it if I had spotters.

Bench went better, hit a 5 rep PR and then absolutely loads of volume on 3 count paused bench.

Safety bar squats, conventional deadlift and floor press tomorrow.

Looking for a bit of insight on a couple of things if anyone would mind sharing their knowledge or experience please?

I've always squatted high bar, predominantly because I didn't have the flexibility in my shoulders for low bar. However, yesterday (perhaps the 18 months of stretching at least twice a day is paying off!) the bar just slipped naturally into a low position. It felt nothing more than a bit unusual to be honest - I managed to get my elbows a lot tighter in to my body - is there any real benefit from squatting low bar rather than high please?

As I've shared before my bench is my biggest weakness. I've also noticed that it doesn't cause me to be as fatigued as other exercises. So, when I'm done squatting I feel it, I'm blowing. Whereas, when I finish benching, even if I've almost failed the last rep I'm not as physically stimulated, i.e. I catch my breath an awful lot quicker. I don't know if this is because bench is the most isolated exercise I do, or whether I should be pushing myself harder or something?

Any insights gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Looking for a bit of insight on a couple of things if anyone would mind sharing their knowledge or experience please?

I've always squatted high bar, predominantly because I didn't have the flexibility in my shoulders for low bar. However, yesterday (perhaps the 18 months of stretching at least twice a day is paying off!) the bar just slipped naturally into a low position. It felt nothing more than a bit unusual to be honest - I managed to get my elbows a lot tighter in to my body - is there any real benefit from squatting low bar rather than high please?

As I've shared before my bench is my biggest weakness. I've also noticed that it doesn't cause me to be as fatigued as other exercises. So, when I'm done squatting I feel it, I'm blowing. Whereas, when I finish benching, even if I've almost failed the last rep I'm not as physically stimulated, i.e. I catch my breath an awful lot quicker. I don't know if this is because bench is the most isolated exercise I do, or whether I should be pushing myself harder or something?

Any insights gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

I think low bar vs high bar, as long as your goal is to get stronger, is total personal preference.

Obviously if you’re into bodybuilding and want to target specific points of your legs you will need to use both.

I almost never do ‘high bar’ tbh. I’m much stronger low bar and tend to use camber and safety bars for accessory work.

As far as bench goes, what sort of frequency/volume do you use? I find my bench doesn’t improve unless I’m doing it 3-4 times a week.

I think low bar vs high bar, as long as your goal is to get stronger, is total personal preference.

Obviously if you’re into bodybuilding and want to target specific points of your legs you will need to use both.

I almost never do ‘high bar’ tbh. I’m much stronger low bar and tend to use camber and safety bars for accessory work.

As far as bench goes, what sort of frequency/volume do you use? I find my bench doesn’t improve unless I’m doing it 3-4 times a week.

Thanks for the pointers on squat - purely looking to get stronger so will just see what I feel like each session - although my understanding was that powerlifters tend to go lower bar as they find themselves stronger, as you do, so may try and switch more often.

Now benching twice a week - one session 5*5 and the other 3*5, 1*3, 1*8 (set of eight at the same weight as the third set of 5). Doing MadCow and going to give it a go for at least a couple of cycles I think.

Back